Starter Removal

lexlover1

Well the time is here to remove the starter on my 95. Gathering all the info I can get before beginning. I see most of the guys have left the upper and lower intake manifolds together when removing them. Wondering if you can leave the throttle body bolted on to the intake, or does it have to come off? If so most of the posts that I have read there hasn't been any mention of replacing the gasket. In the manual it says this is a non-reusable item. Any help greatly appreciated.

Well the time is here to remove the starter on my 95. Gathering all the info I can get before beginning. I see most of the guys have left the upper and lower intake manifolds together when removing them. Wondering if you can leave the throttle body bolted on to the intake, or does it have to come off? If so most of the posts that I have read there hasn't been any mention of replacing the gasket. In the manual it says this is a non-reusable item. Any help greatly appreciated.

400_starter_replacement.pdf

• 3 months later...

How about a PDF for starter removal of a 1990...

I have the Lexus Workshop Manual...but they have you refer to the cylinder head removal instructions (EM-39 to 44)

There has to be a better way than removing everything from the timing pulleys to the intake manifolds...my god!

Please someone give me some hope! PLEASE!!!!!!!

• 1 year later...

Well, I'm about to do this on my 95 as well. I looked at the other threads here and over at Lextreme and feel confident I can do it.

I bought a used starter (from a 96) on eBay. I'm considering buying this Starter Repair Kit before I install it. Thoughts? I think for all the effort I'm going to put into it, I might as well have new parts inside the starter.

What about the gaskets? Replace or Reuse? That is the question I also have but wasn't answered.

Well, I'm about to do this on my 95 as well. I looked at the other threads here and over at Lextreme and feel confident I can do it.

I bought a used starter (from a 96) on eBay. I'm considering buying this Starter Repair Kit before I install it. Thoughts? I think for all the effort I'm going to put into it, I might as well have new parts inside the starter.

What about the gaskets? Replace or Reuse? That is the question I also have but wasn't answered.

Yes, rebuild the starter before installing. You will kick yourself in the you-know-what when 10k miles later the 96 goes out. BTW, I dont see the logic

in buying a 96 starter when it may be just about as worn as your 95.

As concerns the kit: Make sure it is of high quality. Again, you dont want to go thru all that labor only to have it fail soon thereafter.

You might check with a local Toyota lift truck parts supplier. I was successful in getting starter parts from them for a Corolla. And they

are genuine Toyota.

I also called the local Lexus dealer to see if they had parts...no. However, they do stock brand new starters. I asked for the price, making sure I was

sitting down first, and they said $260. What? I was braced for $400, $600 and up. So, while a new starter 'aint' cheap, its not all that bad.

And there is more to a rebuild than just the solenoid copper and plunger. I did not see brushes in the kit.

Yes, change gaskets, if possible, dont reuse.

A starter from Lexus that costs $260.00 is a remanufactured starter. No way it is "brand new" - they are close to 1K in Canada.

Just put new contacts in the starter - that's all that will be wrong with it.

SK has a post where he describes replacing the starter without removing the intake manifold. Some responses to his post describe the difficulty getting to a bolt at the back of the starter (allowing it to slide out the back), as almost impossible. Look it up in a search and decide for yourself.

Consider the reason for starter failure. Age and heat damage. With a '96 you've got both. If you're planning a rebuild, make sure you use only top quality parts. If you'd prefer to spring for a new one, this is one of the few times where I would suggest there are alternatives to oem. Even Toyota will offer you a choice of aftermarket starters with a warranty. I would also change out the knock sensors while you're there.

And my last piece of advice, never, and I repeat NEVER reuse any gasket anywhere, no matter what they look like! For the amount of labor involved, and the cost of new one, it makes absolutely no sense at all to reuse an old and stressed gasket that is sure to fail either right away or shortly after you put it all back together.

If he thinks the starter can be changed without removing the intake, I'll pay money to watch.

The Denso starter is a great unit and all that fails is the high current contact in the solenoid. The brushes are long lived, as is the commutator and the windings and the bushings. The starter in my GS was fixed for less than $30.00 in parts. The gaskets cost more than the starter parts.

New gaskets - OK, will do that.

Rebuild Kit - Will hold off on the eBay one and get parts locally.

BTW, I dont see the logic in buying a 96 starter when it may be just about as worn as your 95.
It was cheap and I didn't read up on the rebuild information until after I clicked the "Buy it Now" button. Oh well, it didn't break the bank and I may consider selling it here if I decide not to keep it.

The current starter is fading fast and isn't going to wait until the eBay one arrives anyway. I believe I just parked the car a final time until I get it out and rebuild it. :(

Knock sensors? Will have to read up on that.

While I have the coolant drained part way (to remove the rear coolant bridge), I need to replace the thermostat since the car takes a long time to warm up. I believe it's stuck open.

That ebay kit is for a solenoid plunger kit only. Besides the contacts, you'll want to check the armature and field coils, brushes, brush springs/holder, clutch/gears/bearings, etc. Also once rebuilt, test before reinstalling. If your stat checks out, test the coolant temp sensor for your warm up issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to do this Sunday/Monday. I've got the gaskets and I hope all I need. I'm going to try the method Bulls I gives in this tutorial:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=49611

I'll add a throttle body cleaning to the list.

I wonder if I'll need injector O-rings and insulators or not? I guess not removing the fuel rail implies no, correct?

ADDED: Here is a thread that will make your head swim but definitely worth the read: LINK.

New to the forum. I've been benefiting from this forum for a long time just by reading what so many of you guys have already posted so I just wanted to thank you.

I had a 98 LS 400 for about 8 years / 125K miles and it was a great car. (just replaced with a 04 LS430 with 60K miles. Nice car so far). Only reason I sold it was the wife wanted a change. Anywhy I had to replace the starter (on the ls400) and used this thread to do it myself. Thanks again. Pain in the neck/back but saved some cash to spend on other things (the 430). I highly recommend sticking with OEM parts (or close) if possible but I usually buy from a GOOD parts house that sources Denso or other high quality parts. Here is what I would suggest to you guys that might attack the starter job yourselves.

1) Number all wires as you take them off. I numbered about 30 different connection points, wires etc.

2) Do clean the throttle body butterfly and intake manifold / plenum with carb cleaner while it is out (valvoline FI/carb cleaner works well)

3) I was able to remove the plenum myself but it sure was nice to have my friend help put it back in. it is somewhat heavy and awkward and hard on the back.

4) I did not need special tools to remove the starter bolts and it wasn't that hard with standard wrenches.

5) Always get new gaskets. Plenum gasket was not required as you do not have to seperate the top and bottom halfs but most of the others are required and the ones that were not were cheap.

6) Once the intake is off it is a good chance to carefully clean the intake ports on the heads but be careful.

7) No need to remove the injectors, just the wires from the tops. I am usually good with connectors but these were a little tricky. Blue on the 98, you have to squeeze the sides pretty hard and firmly pull.

All for now.

Interesting thread. I have owned many Toyotas and a couple of Lexus and never had a starter issue (knock on wood) (except a solenoid issue on a Toyota truck).

My current LS400 has 216K and is a 1991 and it starts fine. I wonder what the chances are that it (starter) has been replaced?

Anyone here with a high mileage 90-94 LS400 with the original starter still working fine?

• 1 month later...
Interesting thread. I have owned many Toyotas and a couple of Lexus and never had a starter issue (knock on wood) (except a solenoid issue on a Toyota truck).

My current LS400 has 216K and is a 1991 and it starts fine. I wonder what the chances are that it (starter) has been replaced?

Anyone here with a high mileage 90-94 LS400 with the original starter still working fine?

I have a 1990 LS400 coming up on 262,000 miles (original owner). My starter has begun intermittently sticking, no doubt

due to worn solenoid contacts as described elsewhere in this forum - aside from that, though, the car still runs and rides

like the day it was new.