Rx400h 2007 Awd Or 4wd? Which One For Alabama Driver?

I am so excited to purchase my first Lexus. I current drive a Mercedes, which I dearly love, but wanted to move into the hybrid market. My question relates to where I live. I'll be mostly driving in North Alabama, so is it work the extra $1500plus for the AWD as opposed to the FWD? Will I ever notice the need for it? I am planning to order my white 400H on Monday, so swift replies would be especially appreciated.

Thanks

Victoria

If you can afford the $1500.00, I'd definitely purchase the AWD version. Although the the AWD 400h operates primarily in FWD, it's awfully nice to have the computer detect a slip and be able to utilize the rear wheels to provide additional traction. If you combine this capability with the VSC(Vehicle Stability Control) system you end up with a very safe vehicle. I'd look at AWD as primarily a safety device on the 400h.

Although you live in AL, traction is still an issue(hydroplaning) on rain soaked roads. I've lived in AL and remember all to well driving in torrential downpours due to thunderstorm activity in the spring and summer. I'd want AWD for that reason alone.

Good luck with your purchase decision. As I'm sure the others will attest, you'll love your new 400h!

If you can afford the $1500.00, I'd definitely purchase the AWD version. Although the the AWD 400h operates primarily in FWD, it's awfully nice to have the computer detect a slip and be able to utilize the rear wheels to provide additional traction. If you combine this capability with the VSC(Vehicle Stability Control) system you end up with a very safe vehicle. I'd look at AWD as primarily a safety device on the 400h.

Although you live in AL, traction is still an issue(hydroplaning) on rain soaked roads. I've lived in AL and remember all to well driving in torrential downpours due to thunderstorm activity in the spring and summer. I'd want AWD for that reason alone.

Good luck with your purchase decision. As I'm sure the others will attest, you'll love your new 400h!

I would get it even if you never use it. Just on resale value alone it will resale for at least $3000 more than a FWD.

Go for it :D

I am so excited to purchase my first Lexus. I current drive a Mercedes, which I dearly love, but wanted to move into the hybrid market. My question relates to where I live. I'll be mostly driving in North Alabama, so is it work the extra $1500plus for the AWD as opposed to the FWD? Will I ever notice the need for it? I am planning to order my white 400H on Monday, so swift replies would be especially appreciated.

Thanks

Victoria

You may find in your area, like mine, the AWD is not readily available on dealer lots in parts of the south. For the weather we experience, I have been very satisfied with the FWD and the standard VSC on this car and others in weather, including snow or icy streets. The "premium" on trade later will also depend on your area. Ask the dealer what their mix of FWD AWD sales is for the 400h.

I would have preferred the AWD for additional trailer towing and better acceleration but couldn't find one before the IRS rebate deadline last year. Of couse the AWD also gives up a little fuel economy.

Tom

I would PASS on the AWD and just get the FWD.

Errr, this is the hybrid thread? The 400h doesn't come in models FWD / AWD. The rear axle has no physical connection to the ICE. Thus AWD is all you get w/ the 400h. 2WD or AWD. Only them's is the choice. :)

FWD is the accepted term for Front Wheel Drive, which is what I have. Check the Lexus web site.

FWD is the accepted term for Front Wheel Drive, which is what I have. Check the Lexus web site.

Ok, so ... hoping the point didn't get missed ... trying simply to say that the 400h ONLY comes in 2wd (which is driven from the front two wheels only) or AWD (which is different from the typical type that has a physical connection to the ICE).

Is that more understandable? Trying to keep it simple :D

Ok, so ... hoping the point didn't get missed ... trying simply to say that the 400h ONLY comes in 2wd (which is driven from the front two wheels only) or AWD (which is different from the typical type that has a physical connection to the ICE).

Is that more understandable? Trying to keep it simple :D

Not really. Again, the 400h comes in FWD or AWD. 2wd could imply only rear wheel drive as well (which is still around), it would be better to say FWD, (which is 2wd using the front wheels).

For our 400h, yes the ICE is not connected to the real wheels, but that doesn't matter, they are still powered.

Bottom line, it comes in FWD and i would say part time AWD.

(though I've seen debates on the latter.... how is AWD vs 4wd vs full/part time defined exactly.... not that I'm opening up that one again)

I went with the AWD white loaded to the hilt and ordered brand new! It will be here next week. The dealer said they sell 1 AWD for every 10 FWDs, but we got the whole package for just under $47K, including XM satelite radio, etc.

I was under the impression the RX400 uses the rear electric motors for reverse?

The trasmission (CVT) does not have reverse.

You may think the motor does this but I have been in reverse with only the electric motor.

I went with the AWD white loaded to the hilt and ordered brand new! It will be here next week. The dealer said they sell 1 AWD for every 10 FWDs, but we got the whole package for just under $47K, including XM satelite radio, etc.

'Glad you found one. You'll like it. Had there been any available, I probably would have, too. :cheers:

You may think the motor does this but I have been in reverse with only the electric motor.

This cannot possibly be true. If it were true then the FWD versions of the 400h would not be able to back up! :whistles:

To prove that the ICE will drive the car in reverse, try this while in READY mode:

Clear the area behind the car :chairshot:

Apply brakes

Put shifter into R

Hold brakes and depress the acc peddle

About halfway to the floor you should hear the ICD reving up and the display should show ICE power going to the wheels (even tho you are not moving).

The RXh FWD (ONLY) model uses the front electric motor for reverse as does the Prius.

The AWD RXh may use both or just you imply, only the rear.

For the Rxh, Hh, and Prius, the ICE cannot be used to drive the vehicle in reverse, only as a counter-balance, counter-drive, to the electric motors.