460 Original Equipment Tires

Hi everyone,

I own a '99 LS400 and am posting on behalf of my dad who has a new LS460. He recently put his original tires back on, after having snow's on for the winter. As I am in the process of choosing new tires myself and am doing a ton of research, I looked up the original equipment Bridgestone Turanza EL42 and was shocked. They were ranked 25th out of 27 tires in the Grand Touring All-Season survey category.

I was wondering what tires came with your LS460, and whether you are happy with them.

Jeff

Hi everyone,

I own a '99 LS400 and am posting on behalf of my dad who has a new LS460. He recently put his original tires back on, after having snow's on for the winter. As I am in the process of choosing new tires myself and am doing a ton of research, I looked up the original equipment Bridgestone Turanza EL42 and was shocked. They were ranked 25th out of 27 tires in the Grand Touring All-Season survey category.

I was wondering what tires came with your LS460, and whether you are happy with them.

Jeff

How did the Dunlops do in the survey?

I have the Dunlops also.

The Dunlops are there, but there are no results as of yet.

It is funny, because I think that I have stumbled onto something here. When I read various posts out there, many people mention a Car & Driver article that gave a bad rating to the LS460 in terms of braking. It is mentioned by many owners and enthusiasts, that the car was tested on the Turanza EL42's, but that the tests were done using a pre-production model LS, and that the tires would be different when it went on sale to the public. The ratings for this tire are very bad, and they do not compare in many ways to the Dunlops that many of you seem to have on your cars.

This is going to be an interesting one. My dad is going to owe me big time if he gets new tires.

As for me, my LS400 runs on Michelin MXV4 Plus tires (not my choice) for the summer. It is fine.

Jeff

If he is going to have a winter and summer set then he should get the best possible summer tire available . To me that is the Toyo T1-R . It is leap and bounds beyond any other tire i have driven.

Thanks for the tip on that. My advice for him on this one is at least to have the Lexus dealer put on a better set of A/S's before he replaces them himself.

Still curious if others have been given Turanza EL42's.

Jeff

The EL42 is a very common Lexus OEM tire.

Same thing when I bought my ES, they either came with Bridgestone Potenza RE92s (terrible tires) or Michelin MXV4+ (much better tire).

First thing I'm going to do when I get mine in September is replace the tires..

OOOH SW, You finally decided to get an LS460! You lucky man. Are you gonna lease or buy? Black on Black i presume. YOu're probably gonna be the youngest ls460 owner.

Black shows swirls and is harder to maintain if you are a perfectionist like SW and myself who can't stand seeing fine scratches in the paint.

If it is not glaring a you everyday it does not bother us like a white or silver car does.

I have a black LS430 ul.... killing me to see all the chips on the hood.

got the car used 40K

someone said I can get a wax w/ the color black to cover it up. others say no such thing or pointless to even try.

I don't want to have it painted to experience the same in a week.

~carmine

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Dunlops also.

The Dunlops are there, but there are no results as of yet.

It is funny, because I think that I have stumbled onto something here. When I read various posts out there, many people mention a Car & Driver article that gave a bad rating to the LS460 in terms of braking. It is mentioned by many owners and enthusiasts, that the car was tested on the Turanza EL42's, but that the tests were done using a pre-production model LS, and that the tires would be different when it went on sale to the public. The ratings for this tire are very bad, and they do not compare in many ways to the Dunlops that many of you seem to have on your cars.

This is going to be an interesting one. My dad is going to owe me big time if he gets new tires.

As for me, my LS400 runs on Michelin MXV4 Plus tires (not my choice) for the summer. It is fine.

Jeff

Jeff, I have the Turanza EL42s, and they're not a bad tire, IMHO. If you check the comments on the Tire Rack website, you'll find the odd negative comment, but most are quite happy with them.

SW03ES, The Canadian LS does indeed have a clear bra. They are also supplied with wheel locks. My dealer said these were installed in Toronto. I didn't realize the LS was shipped through there, so that's news to me. Doesn't make sense though...

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

Jeff

Jeff,

I demod a LS460 with standard Turanza tires and did not like them at all, not great traction and harsh. I took a chance and ordered my LS with the new Bridgestone Turnaza with Serenity tires. That is, I had the dealer change them. The Turanza tires with Serenity are head and shoulders above the old models. They are quiet, smooth and the traction is great in corners. As an extra plus, they have a z rating in the size for the LS. Braking also seems to be improved. If you jam the brake pedal, it feels like you are going to go through the windshield. I read the poor reviews of the brakes and handling and cannot help but feel that the poor tires were a large part of it.

David

• 4 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

Jeff

A friend of mine turned me on to the Michelin Hydroedge tire. Go to www.tirerack.com and you will see that they are very highly rated performance tires. I only have 1100 miles on my 460, but plan on getting the hydroedge tires when these Dunlops expire. Have always been pleased with Michelin on all of my cars.

Jguy6

• 3 weeks later...
Lease. No black on black! I've learned my lesson with dark colored cars. It'll be silver on black probably ;)

Lease...very smart, just to let you know the residuals are changing for that car this weekend. BTW very nice choice Silver/Black thats what I have and people think i wash my car everyday :cheers:

Hi everyone,

Jeff

Jeff,

Our dealer, in concert with Lexus factory, just installed Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires to replace rough riding EL42 Bridgestones. We only have a few miles on the car since, <50, but they seem to be smoother and a lot quieter. It was their recommendation to install those rather than a nother set of Bridgestones or the Dunlops. FWIW.