Sub Blew Out, Thanks Ipod "you Pos"

nc211

I posted this in the electronics section too, but I put it here as well since it's LS specific, and this seems to get a few more hits. Need some help.

AFter doing some searching, it appears the subwoofer is some kind of specialty item that probably costs a ton to replace with oem. I swear, I hate this car sometimes.

Mine blew out this morning, thanks to my Ipod. Does anyone have a suggestion on an aftermarket one they've used that's worked, and didn't require the freakin' engine to be removed to make it fit?

To add to this, I plugged in my Ipod last night to the computer from hell, and it said my ipod software needed to be updated, so it updated it...and it erased it, and the computer wouldn't recognize it. Was up until 2 am fixing that damn thing. Heading to the beach today "2 1/2 hour drive".

NC needs BEER.

I posted this in the electronics section too, but I put it here as well since it's LS specific, and this seems to get a few more hits. Need some help.

AFter doing some searching, it appears the subwoofer is some kind of specialty item that probably costs a ton to replace with oem. I swear, I hate this car sometimes.

Mine blew out this morning, thanks to my Ipod. Does anyone have a suggestion on an aftermarket one they've used that's worked, and didn't require the freakin' engine to be removed to make it fit?

To add to this, I plugged in my Ipod last night to the computer from hell, and it said my ipod software needed to be updated, so it updated it...and it erased it, and the computer wouldn't recognize it. Was up until 2 am fixing that damn thing. Heading to the beach today "2 1/2 hour drive".

NC needs BEER.

well, NC, heres my advice...simply take your vehicle to your local private stereo shop, purchase a 10" sub and enclosure. something like JL, Kenwood, Clarion, Diamond audio, ALPINE, etc....steer clear of MTX, Eclipse and anything SONY. sony does not belong in the car audio business they are junk.

it shouldnt cost you more than $500, and you can get something like what i have for about $250. , you will lose a little trunk space, but you will have better sound that can handle anything your ipod will throw at it. the shop you buy from should be able to hook you up with the enclosure that will fit your space conserving needs, or custom make one if nesscary for a few dollars more. Be forwarned, the shops may look shady, but usually the ones that look run down do the best work, cause they are in it cause they like to do it. if you walk in and the shop looks presentable, but the building is old and the guy behind the counter is in his early-mid 20's and kind of scraggly lookin, thats ecactly where you want to be. :)

Josh, I much appreciate the advice! BUT WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE WHEN YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE ON R&R!!!

I'M TELLIN' MRS. ARMYOFONE that you're kicking tires with the boys, when you should be kicking floral patterns at home depot! Hahaha... :cheers:

Actually man, you're right on the money about the shops. In my opinion, clean tools are unused tools, which translates into inexperienced. Plus, you just described most of my ole' college buddies from back in the day. I called circuit world this morning, and they said what you said, that most just bypass the factory sub and use a bazooka tub or something like that. But, I don't want to go that route if I don't have to, I would rather stay within the oem appearence specs if possible. The local lexus indi repair shop here in town sent me to a local audio shop. They said "yep, know the issue quite well, we use the rockford fosgate 8 inch as an oem replacement, and it seems to work great." All in all, with install, $100 bucks, give or take $20. So I think I'm going to go that route and see what happens. I'm not that big into audiophile stuff anymore these days, just don't want the cracks/thumps and rattles that blown speakers make. If all else fails, I'll have the original sub reconed. There is a shop here in town that recones speakers for like $30 bucks. They did my 12' pioneer sub at home last year, after lightening took it out. Blew out the amp, and launched the speaker out of it's seat, tearing the foam all to pieces. Not to mention, nearly launched me and wife out of bed into the attic throught the ceiling. Scared the crap out of us!

OH, on a side note, I called the dealership to see how much a new one would cost.....$250 bucks!!! When I asked him how much to install it, he transfered me to the service desk. I hung up before they picked up the transfer. What a joke..

Josh, I much appreciate the advice! BUT WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE WHEN YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE ON R&R!!!

I'M TELLIN' MRS. ARMYOFONE that you're kicking tires with the boys, when you should be kicking floral patterns at home depot! Hahaha...:cheers:

Actually man, you're right on the money about the shops. In my opinion, clean tools are unused tools, which translates into inexperienced. Plus, you just described most of my ole' college buddies from back in the day. I called circuit world this morning, and they said what you said, that most just bypass the factory sub and use a bazooka tub or something like that. But, I don't want to go that route if I don't have to, I would rather stay within the oem appearence specs if possible. The local lexus indi repair shop here in town sent me to a local audio shop. They said "yep, know the issue quite well, we use the rockford fosgate 8 inch as an oem replacement, and it seems to work great." All in all, with install, $100 bucks, give or take $20. So I think I'm going to go that route and see what happens. I'm not that big into audiophile stuff anymore these days, just don't want the cracks/thumps and rattles that blown speakers make. If all else fails, I'll have the original sub reconed. There is a shop here in town that recones speakers for like $30 bucks. They did my 12' pioneer sub at home last year, after lightening took it out. Blew out the amp, and launched the speaker out of it's seat, tearing the foam all to pieces. Not to mention, nearly launched me and wife out of bed into the attic throught the ceiling. Scared the crap out of us!

OH, on a side note, I called the dealership to see how much a new one would cost.....$250 bucks!!! When I asked him how much to install it, he transfered me to the service desk. I hung up before they picked up the transfer. What a joke..

wifey is still sleepin. i snuck out early this morning to get dunkin donuts and coffee...and i got caught sneakin back in...*note to self, shut off car and coast into driveway next time, ZX2 with gutted exhaust is too loud to sneak back in*. but i brought back roses so it was all good :) then she fell back asleep on the couch by accident and shes so pretty i just cant bring myself to wake her.

You will not be able to just replace the sub unless you get an oem replacement , anything after market will require a new amp to push it which will also require you to run power wire to the trunk.

The simplest solution is an oem replacement one as it is free air and the right ohms as well as being highly efficient requiring very little power from the factory amp.

nc211, sorry about your woofer. Here comes a somewhat lengthy reply... :whistles:

What does it cost, and what should be so special about it? I also see that most people recommends also replacing the amp when replacing the sub. I would like to comment a bit here.

Speaker design is a work of compromising, especially for OEM car stuff, where everything is built to a price.

Back in the time when LS was introduced, car amps were weak and expensive, or powerful and really expensive. Most car brands would go for the cheapest acceptable amp.

Low frequency speakers (by the laws of physics) basically interact/fight three properties, small enclosure, high sensitivity and good bass extension. You can favour one or two of these properties, but on expense of the remaining one/s.

Today cost per Watt has decreased a lot, and the demand for small enclosures has gone up. This means that most modern woofers have typical small box/good bass extension properties AND very low efficiency, which make them a bad choise for the original Lexus amp. (They also tend to have very big magnets, big surrounds and long voice coils, which YOU don't need and that add to the cost...)

They will also, if used, not take advantage of the "enclosure" the Lexus woofer is mounted in.

If you want to replace your original woofer without having an extra box (and amp) in your trunk, you should perhaps check other sources than car audio shops. I can imagine many home speaker woofers that could do a good job in your car.

That kind of woofer has a lighter cone, a smaller (cheaper) magnet/motor and plain looking surround and suspension. It is not "cheating" or bad design - it is design for a different purpose. It will therefore also cost less to produce! Little enough to let the people at Lexus use it in a standard car audio setup. ;)

This is a general, and somewhat simplified, description, but the basics are all here.

/Alexander from Sweden

If all else fails, I'll have the original sub reconed. There is a shop here in town that recones speakers for like $30 bucks. They did my 12' pioneer sub at home last year, after lightening took it out. Blew out the amp, and launched the speaker out of it's seat, tearing the foam all to pieces. Not to mention, nearly launched me and wife out of bed into the attic throught the ceiling. Scared the crap out of us!
I think that's the route I'd take because it's cheap, it should keep your stereo sounding the same, and it'll be easy since it's the original (no amps or wiring to mess with.). Were you listening to your favorite Celine Dion song too loud? Is that what blew out your subwoofer?? :lol:

Celine Dion is the devil....THE :censored: DEVIL I TELL YOU!!!!! :chairshot:

She has a warped sense of existance, and she deserves to be deported to the field of Iraq. I hate Celine Dion!! Make me want to throw up every time I hear that chicken-scratch whine that she calls a singing voice. In a perfect world, she would be the opening act for the death-metal speed band "6 feet under", and the fans would NOT have to go through a metal detector. Now that's a concert I'd fly anywhere to see, even though I'm no fan of metal either.

The Devil, sheer evilness that has the ability to turn men of strength, into minivan drivin' soccer moms, and trade in the Budweiser and pnumatic air hammers for tea-time over an afternoon cry sessions during Dr. Phil. Oh, I hate that woman!!! The only thing she can "blow out" is my lunch!

Blake, that's what I think I'm going to do, just have the speaker reconed. Now comes the fun of figuring out how to get the sub out of there. Guess it's back to the manuals.

NC needs BEER.

Nc, I missed this thread :chairshot: I should be able to get you a OEM sub replacement for a reasonable price. I'll get back. :cheers:

She has a warped sense of existance, and she deserves to be deported to the field of Iraq. I hate Celine Dion!! Make me want to throw up every time I hear that chicken-scratch whine that she calls a singing voice. In a perfect world, she would be the opening act for the death-metal speed band "6 feet under", and the fans would NOT have to go through a metal detector. Now that's a concert I'd fly anywhere to see, even though I'm no fan of metal either.

The Devil, sheer evilness that has the ability to turn men of strength, into minivan drivin' soccer moms, and trade in the Budweiser and pnumatic air hammers for tea-time over an afternoon cry sessions during Dr. Phil. Oh, I hate that woman!!! The only thing she can "blow out" is my lunch!

Blake, that's what I think I'm going to do, just have the speaker reconed. Now comes the fun of figuring out how to get the sub out of there. Guess it's back to the manuals.

n:

Your IPOD ate your subwoofer & now Celine Dion is the devil............................

Have you ever given any thought to the possibility that your life is just a tad bit overcomplicated?

You do still have your air hammer don't you?

Have a Bud, Bud! :cheers:

n:

Your IPOD ate your subwoofer & now Celine Dion is the devil............................

Have you ever given any thought to the possibility that your life is just a tad bit overcomplicated?

You do still have your air hammer don't you?

Have a Bud, Bud! :cheers:

Nc, I have a OEM sub/Direct replacement part. I only have 1 left pm me for the juicy details. It's a steal.

Robert, you only speak the truth my friend!! I'll have to add this one to our other "discussions" because it's too good! I can't imagine it's too tough to get that 'woofer out of there. ;) Wouldn't it be nice if you didn't have to pull the backseat!

NC needs BEER.

Nc, I missed this thread :chairshot: I should be able to get you a OEM sub replacement for a reasonable price. I'll get back.:cheers:

Got your PM, will respond later today...but, I'll take it! It'll cost me that much to have it reconed, and I"m not so sure it's just the foam that's bad on mine. I really blew it out I think.

Robert, you only speak the truth my friend!! I'll have to add this one to our other "discussions" because it's too good! I can't imagine it's too tough to get that 'woofer out of there. ;) Wouldn't it be nice if you didn't have to pull the backseat!

Blake, are you saying that I have to remove the backseat to get to the subwoofer? Oh man, crap, that just sucks!! I guess I'll go ahead and replace those top strut mounts too since I'll be there anyway. Oh this car, why can't they make some of the simple stuff...simple :angry:

Dang Robert, you need a cup of chamomile tea and a good cry over your blown subwoofer! Then maybe an hour or two with a good "Lifetime - made for Women" TV drama. LOL...you crack me up. I actually think you need a 6-pack of Bud. You'll get that back seat out in no time.

James

Hahaha.... Budweiser, guns, monster trucks, rogain, you name it, if it's manly, then we men need it, especially when the devil's name has been mentioned. I stand by my very first remarks about the uber-hag..... she needs to bubble her !Removed! back down into the pits of hell, where she came from to begin with, and take that horrible "because you love me" crap with her!!

Just talking about her makes me want to paint my house black and invite Ozzy Ozbourne over for a bat feast!

Argh!!! I can't stand that woman!!! If I had just two choices to save the planet, (1) reproduce with Celine Dion or (2) perish the existance of mankind..... well sorry fella's, this spin on the rock is d.o.n.e for us upright-walking-natured species type.

:pirate:

Blake, are you saying that I have to remove the backseat to get to the subwoofer? Oh man, crap, that just sucks!! I guess I'll go ahead and replace those top strut mounts too since I'll be there anyway. Oh this car, why can't they make some of the simple stuff...simple :angry:

After looking at my manual, I couldn't tell one way or the other. I guess this another one of those topics that they either hide really well, or they just don't cover it. ;) Taking the back seat out is easy, I'm more afraid of messing with that particle board rear dash! :lol:

Good, one step closer to the funeral! That old battle-ax needs to take a dirt nap, Vegas style.

THREADCUTTER, WHAT'S UP MAN? YOU'RE KILLING ME WITH THAT AVATAR OF DAMION THE DEVIL !Removed!!! :blink::lol:

Good, one step closer to the funeral! That old battle-ax needs to take a dirt nap, Vegas style.

THREADCUTTER, WHAT'S UP MAN? YOU'RE KILLING ME WITH THAT AVATAR OF DAMION THE DEVIL !Removed!!! :blink::lol:

n:

Oh man, Sorry!.............GAWD!, I'm on my way to the airport right now & won't have time to change it until I get back from Antarctica in 6 weeks..........I feel for ya, bud!...................

It sure would be a shame if everyone on this website had the same picture for their Avatar!............(wouldn't it?)

n:

OK, OK, settle down..........................The bad thing is gone..............

How about a nice Fabrique Nationale (FN) Mag 58/M240D belt fed to settle your nerves? :D

Feeling a little better now?............

Hahaha!!! :lol::cheers:

Your avatar needs to meet LexusLooker's in an alley soon! You're the antivirus that LexusLooker needs on his computer, and mow down that "virus"!! :lol: