Do I Have To Repalce My Idle Air Control Valve?

Shayan

Hey,

I got the idle air control valve cleaned professionally last week , and its been good ever since. But today, about thrirty minutes ago when i was at a red light the car died, and im back to where it started before it was cleaned.

Whats going on here?

Hey,

I got the idle air control valve cleaned professionally last week , and its been good ever since. But today, about thrirty minutes ago when i was at a red light the car died, and im back to where it started before it was cleaned.

Whats going on here?

Can you restart the car at all? Does it stall short after a restart? Can you keep it going after restart by stepping on the accel pedal?

you are exactly correct, it starts and thandies right after it starts UNless you keep giving it gas. Its the only way to keep it on.

Looks like it was not cleaned thoroughly. You can do it yourself, it is not that difficult. My car acted exactly like that 2 years ago. I fixed it by spaying lots of throttle body cleaner into the little cavity near the throttle plate to clean the IACV. Search the forum and you'll find lots of posts on that.

• 5 weeks later...

I didint mess with it.

I took it to this shop called euroteck who works on cars like lexus,BMw, and volvos and they charged $40 to clean it.

I know one thing.

Do Not use carberator cleaner. It can be harmful.

• 2 weeks later...
they charged $40 to clean it.

\

I finally cleaned it myself, and there is no way to clean it without removing it and also removing the throttle body, air filter hose, and couple of other hoses underneath. Since you were charged only $40, it is possible that they only sprayed some throtle body cleaner inside the throttle body.

A good clean would take at least two hours... My Lexus dealer charged me $100 just to check and tell me I have a bad O2 sensor, so for cleaning the iac I assume they would charge about $200.

I don't think that you need to replace the iac, as this seem to be a solid part with little to break.