Brake Rotor Upgrade For 2005 Ls 430

German_LS430

I am the absolute new kid on the block here.

I am German, living in Hamburg, Germany.

I own a 2005 LS 430, which is the face lifted LS.

Honestly, I keep on having trouble with the front brake rotors. Pls keep in mind that our Autobahn speed is a little higher than what you are used to in USA.

Driving on the Autobahn at speeds higher than 125 miles per hour means tough times for brake rotors. Our trucks are at 50 to 55 miles per hour, so a sudden change of lane by the trucks means heat for the Lexus brake rotors.

So, within a distance of like 10.000 miles the brakes start to come up with humming noises when they get hot. On top I am not happy with the lack of brake performance when it is raining outside.

When the rotors are wet the first step on the brakes does not really bring a lot of performance.

I contacted Brembo for "real" brakes and they were quoting a price of like 7000 USD for the front and rear brakes, for that price I can keep on changing rotors until the cows come home.

I have used the search button in this forum, but it seems that there are only brake upgrades for LS 400 that were discussed.

Do you have any proposals on heavy duty brakes? Do the Celica Supra rotors fit?

Thanks for your help.

best regards

Cord

Man, we need you German guys to sign in to the Mercedes forums as Lexus owners, and get them off our backs! Hahahaaa....

$7,000 for rotors from Brembo? Something is being lost in the translation there. I think SKPerformance would be your best bet on who could answer this one. The only braking mechanism we know of here in the States that works for anyone going 125 MPH, is a spike strip, compliments of your local Sherrif department.

I am suprised however that you do not have more options in Germany for high performance brakes? You guys invented high speed, there has to be someone in your area that can answer your question and provide you better service than us wallowing Americans. I mean, ever driven a Chevy 125 MPH? See....we're not built for speed.

About the only American company I can think of that could build a rotor that wouldn't warp at those speeds is NASA.

SK, the stage is yours amigo....

PS: I'll be in your neck of the woods this September "Heidelberg", any suggestions on proper manners that you notice most Americans fail to display in your country? I know we're not the most popular these days, and certainly don't want to offend anyone. I freakin' LOVE Germany!!! The one country I really really really want to visit! Going to see the Black Forest too!

Hi NC211

thanks very much for your answer.

Honestly, the Mercedes boys have enough problems with their cars, quality, quality, quality!

Whatever problems you can have, they have them.

Total black outs, you name it.

Yes, Brembo is very expensive, the point is that they do not only come up with the rotors, but they also come with the brake saddle etc.

So, this is a "no go".

Who is SK Performance?

On our speeds, your sheriffs would faint! I also own a 2002 Corvette C5 and that one really goes up to 190 mph!!! You talk about speed?? That is speed!!!

MY LS 430 closes down by the limiter at abt 160 mph at a calculation factor of 1,6 between kilometers per hour to miles per hour! The Lexus does that in a very unspectecular way, not a lot of noises, very quiet, very stabile, you can hold the steering with 2 fingers at that speed.

Theoretically the limiter could be disabled, but then we reach the speed limits of the tires, that means that we have to change to tires that have a higher speed rating. You do not want to blow a tire at more than 160 mph!!

The reason for so little choice on Lexus tuning parts in Germany is that Lexus so far did not sell well in the home country of BMW, Mercedes and Audi. Germans often do not buy a car, but rather buy prestige.

There are only very few Lexus here and nobody works on tuning for so few of them.

Welcome to Germany when you come here!

Actually, Americans are very much liked in Germany, lots of Germans have very good memories of the Americans, our parents got help from them after the war etc. Americans are often very nice and very friendly. I do not think that you need help in proper manners.

Americans often are a "little uneasy", when they are in our cars for the first time zipping down the Autobahns at speeds that they connect with NASCAR races.

Ahh, the Vette', I always forget about the Vette. Yeah, that's a good one, and God-awful fast! I always think of the Chevy Cavalier, at 90mph, with the rear view mirrors falling off. hahahaha..

SKperformance is one of the members on here, that is very well versed in the braking department for our cars. I will send him a message to check out this thread, and see what he has to say. He's a nice guy!

Well, good to see Chrystler has made a positive impact on MB..... As an american, I offer my appologies. There should've never been a blending between a 560SEC and a Caravan.

Translate for me if you will.... Brake Saddle = Brake Calipers?

I'm very interested in this thread and how it turns out....

I'll go get SKperformance and see what he says :cheers:

Well my take on it is Brembo and your LS is that a GT package or touring pack from them would be a step down in the braking department. You already have 6 pots up front an dual in the rear. All you would need to do is add dot 5 fluid, SS brake lines ,a set of Brembo OEM replacement rotors and drill and/or slot them as well as adding a set of project Mu pads if available also.

I am not perfectly versed in the 430 braking system but all it needs is slight upgrading not overhauling as it is a very good system ,it is just trying to slow down an elephant.

Well my take on it is Brembo and your LS is that a GT package or touring pack from them would be a step down in the braking department. You already have 6 pots up front an dual in the rear. All you would need to do is add dot 5 fluid, SS brake lines ,a set of Brembo OEM replacement rotors and drill and/or slot them as well as adding a set of project Mu pads if available also.

I am not perfectly versed in the 430 braking system but all it needs is slight upgrading not overhauling as it is a very good system ,it is just trying to slow down an elephant.

I concur...

"German" needs a rotor and pad combo that can handle the heat generated from Mach speeds!

Drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads ought to do the trick...no reason to change out the calipers (although the change to DOT 5 couldn't hurt.)

I'm surprised the front brakes of the LS430 do not perform well at high speeds, given the layout and size of the components and the overall weight of the vehicle. The front brakes on my LS430 are much more substantial then those on my old BMW 528i which I assume performed adequately at high speed.

Jason his problem he is going 4 times what normal speeds you might be going at which makes them show deficiencies.

That I understand, although you're exaggerating more than a bit when you say "4 times" because normal speeds for me include cruising between 60-70 MPH and I'm pretty sure he'd not driving an LS430 at 280 MPH.

What I don't understand is how a BMW 5-series can handle the Autobahn with brakes that are a lot wimpier than the brakes on an LS430. The LS430 has 4-piston calipers, rotors the size of pizzas, and large brake pads.

I also had an XJ8 that went 150 MPH, and the brakes were a lot les ssubstantial. I also have a friend with an M5 and those brakes compared favorably with the LS430.

I'm not saying this guy is lying, but it doesn't make sense given the brakes on the LS430. They're enormous and should do fine at 150 MPH all day long. Maybe this guy's car just has a problem?