Garages Refusing To Install Struts I Bought?

nebhusker

Hey all - I drive a 1999 ES300 with 138,000 miles on it. I have the famous front end rattle/clunk coming from the passenger side and on my last tire rotation was told that one of the rear struts was leaking. So I've decided it's time to spend some money on a suspension refresh. :cries:

Here are the parts I've purchased online:

Set of 4 new KYB GR2 struts - $243

Front strut mounts w/ bearings (OEM) - $120

Rear strut mounts - $103

Here's the rub: I've starting calling some local garages and nobody will install them! They all say they stopped installing customer purchased parts because of "problems" they have encountered in the past. I assume it must be that something goes wrong and the customer blames it on the installer and the installer points at the parts.

I'll call some more shops next week, but has anybody else run into this problem? I really don't have the tools or know-how to tackle this one myself.

One other question, is there any other parts I should replace while I'm doing this? From reading some posts, I will have the bump-stops lubed but other than that I think I should be okay. Thanks for any advice, love this forum!!

You sould be able to find a shop that will install them for you. My understanding is that the KYB struts are oem parts so there should be no problem.

Also, you may want to consider replacing the upper and lower spring insulators. They are like rubber spacers between the spring and the strut/mount seats and tend to wear with mileage. When I replaced mine one side was sort of torn up but the other side looked OK. They are not very expensive. The repair shop should be able to tell you if they are good or not once they take evrything apart.

Shops that install customer supplied parts are generally deeply in the "lower tier" of repair shops.

Using customer supplied parts is simply not done by top independent repair shops.

That's just the way it is.

This is very true. Our shop don't install parts that customer bring in. It causes so many problems. What if the part fail in 1 month? Who will get the blame? The installer! There wouldn't be any warranty on the labor or parts. Good luck.

JP Importz

Shops that install customer supplied parts are generally deeply in the "lower tier" of repair shops.

Using customer supplied parts is simply not done by top independent repair shops.

Weird. I could take my parts to a major Ford dealer, when I had my diesel, in the are and they would install.

This is very true. Our shop don't install parts that customer bring in. It causes so many problems. What if the part fail in 1 month? Who will get the blame? The installer! There wouldn't be any warranty on the labor or parts. Good luck.

JP Importz

same here. no matter what you tell the person it all falls back on us. so why get involved and on top of that lose money as well. just not worth it.

Forget that! I'm not paying a mark-up on parts that a shop wants to supply, especially when I don't know the brand of the parts they are installing. "Top Tier" shops?? If it's a top tier shop, they'll work with you... they'll tell you what parts they are putting in and what the price is. I've worked with several shops in the Portland area. Boyd's Motor Werks, which I would consider a premier BMW shop, would let me bring in my own parts for install (including things like a short-shifter and a replacement transmission), but they also worked with me to "shop around" and find a nice aftermarket exhaust. They found an Ansa cat-back for as good as I could get it aftermarket, and they didn't give the part a markup. Now THAT is a top-tier shop! I also worked with the Carriage House and they let me bring in my own struts for install. I worked with them on it, and they couldn't get the parts cheaper than I could, so they let me bring them in. They did the labor, and everything worked perfectly. If my supplied parts fail, I don't blame the shop, for they worked with me on the install and noted anything irregular about the parts when they went in.

On the flip side, I had a friend take his chevy truck to a local repair shop. I went through the repair list with him afterwards and they just needed to repair a few simple parts in the distributor... they charged him 4 times the retail price for the parts. Now that's gouging.

For me, if a shop refuses to install my parts, and mandates I use their parts without working with me on it... I walk away. I'm not going to be force-fed anyone's parts for the price they dictate. No way.

For me, if a shop refuses to install my parts, and mandates I use their parts without working with me on it... I walk away. I'm not going to be force-fed anyone's parts for the price they dictate. No way.

I totally agree. IMHO, the main reason a shop would refuse to use the parts a customer has supplied is b/c they don't make any profit on the parts. But if they would stop to think for a second, isn't building "good will" by working with customers like certain shops have done with me and with blk_on_blk a way of making future profits in the way of satisfied return-customers? I think so.

Therefore, I say continue to shop around for a place that is willing to work with you. They are out there, and they are NOT necessarily "lower tier" businesses. The real "lower tier" shops are those that think ONLY about immediate profits, IMO.

I don't know what "Top Tier" shops you throw your money away to, but any respectable shop should do the work... they just won't offer any warranty on the parts for obvious reasons and you as a customer should understand that. Of course if you are taking parts to shop and that doesn't know you, expect to be turned away... then again if you own a car you should at least know one place in your area... you never stop to check your air pressure... or buy gas?

To me, the fact that JPI doesn't install customer supplied parts and his stated reason says it all. With the experience our members have had with him he's definately a top tier shop, and he's definately interested in providing value.

Doesn't the fact that you can't find ANYBODY to do this key you in that its not typical?

hey its america, you can go where you want.

i do know 2 shops near me that install customer supplied parts and both places combined do not have the equipment or information i do. they both constantly call and ask me for advice and want to know if they can use my $8k factory scan tool device.

point being, you get what you pay for in this world.

quick question...when was the last time anyone went into ruths chris steakhouse and asked them if they could bring their own steak?

at the end of the day i have a business to run and sorry to say, call me a capitalistic pig, but i like to make money.

I think it's all relative. I wish it was as clear as 'you get what you pay for', and I think for the most part it is with most shops, for most are reputable and wouldn't be long in business if they weren't. If a shop told me (and one has before) that I can shop around for the parts myself, but that their supplied parts are comparable in price and are a quality brand, then I'm cool.... but if they try to force feed me a part price with a significant markup, I'm not cool. I'd rather put my money in the skilled mechanic working on my ride.... I'm all about the capitalistic angle, but if it's "you get what you pay for", then I want a good price on quality parts and I'll pay the extra money for a skilled & proficient mechanic who knows how to install them properly; i.e., the money should go to the skill of the mechanic and the quality of the equipment he uses, not into the markup of off-the-shelf parts that can be purchased elsewhere.

If you want to use the Ruth-Chris analogy, then it's more like someone bringing in their grill for repair at Ruth-Chris, and are forced to cook only Ruth-Chris's steaks, at RC's price, on their grill from there out. I've been to RC... their steak was kinda fatty and grizzly... I think it'd be cool if i could bring my own steak!! :D I'd pay the premium price to use their grills, seasonings, and chefs. Hey, there's an idea for a business... people bring in their own groceries and the restaurant prepares their food their way. Then you really know you're "getting what you pay for".

I've been to RC... their steak was kinda fatty and grizzly... I think it'd be cool if i could bring my own steak!! :D I'd pay the premium price to use their grills, seasonings, and chefs. Hey, there's an idea for a business... people bring in their own groceries and the restaurant prepares their food their way. Then you really know you're "getting what you pay for".

LOL

Off topic but that must have been a bad day at Ruth's Chris. At least the one here is consistently good, although there are certainly better high end steakhouses.

Hey Guys,

I'm sorry if I offended anyone in here. But We had many many issues with clients bring in their own parts. Well if the repair goes well then we don't have a single problem. Now if the part fail in 6 months, We would get a very friendly call :) from our clients. Here is a paintful example that we had last summer.

Vehicle: 2000 Gs300 with 82k miles

Problem: A/C is inop

Low side reading 29 psi and High side reading 29 psi. A/C compressor shaft is damaged. So the A/C compressor, expansion valve and drier need to be place. We called the client up and explaint to him what happen to the vehicle. He would then starting to question, Why would we need to replace the expansion valve and the drier when the compressor fail. I told him " Sir, Once the A/C compressor damaged. It would send all of that trash to the expansion valve. If we don't replace it at this time. You will have the same problem in a couple of months". His answer " Nope, just replace the compressor". We get another call from him about 10 minutes later. He is going to provide the parts. Ok...That is fine with me.

The compressor was purchase from a Local lexus dealership. We replaced the unit. Flush the system and charged it up. Low side is 35 psi and High side is 129 psi(BTW, The temp was around 75 degree that day). System holds vaccum test no leaks. when he picked up the vehicle. I said down with him to explaint for the warranty that we offer through our shop. In this case, it wouldn't apply for him. Made him signed on dot, He totally understand that we discussed that day.

Three months later I would get a call from him. Stating that the A/C doesn't work again. Ok..." Sir, We would be happy to take a look at it". Car came in, hooked up the A/C check the reading. Uhh... Same problem we had a couple months back. I personally called him back to break the news. He wasn't happy.....and Lexus wouldn't warranty the compressor. So this time around, He is replacing all the parts that we suggested: Compressor, expansion valve and drier. He paid 3 times than what he should if he let us fix it right the first time.

We have a very good relationship with our parts supplier. If something fail and we provided all the datas and testing info. They would replace the part with no question asked. Some reason the parts are not in stock. We will get an overnight shipment.

Toyota and Lexus parts do fail but it's a very small percentage. I personally installed hundreds of timing belt and water pump. Never have one fail on me. I see many many power steering pump are bad NIB.

We rather not make any money then try to make a quick buck. We work very hard to build up our business and I can't let "Mr. I want to my own parts" tarnish our name.

As a matter of fact, Since we have a good relationship with our parts supplier. Our parts and labor warranty will go up to 25k miles or 25 months this coming June.

PS: There is no second chance when the vehicle isn't repair properly. The client wouldn't care if they brought their own parts. You worked on it and have the same problem before. How many people and their friends will know about this? Many !!!!!!

Regards,

JPI

JPI, it sounds like your shop is the premier shop that everyone hopes to work with when having their car repaired. I totally understand the shop's POV, for if a customer comes in with a bunch of parts in a plain box only marked with "Made in Kerblamistan" (or some other never heard from country) and look totally suspect, I would refuse to install them, too. It also sounds like you have a strong relation with a parts supplier and charge comparable prices for them.

I'm not too sure if I follow your example. I mean, the parts supplied by the customer were quality parts from the dealer with no problems. It wasn't that the customer supplied the parts that caused the failure, it's the fact that the customer was near-sighted in that he/she couldn't or wouldn't listen to your explination and grasp the need to replace the expansion valve and drier, too. That doesn't seem to be an issue regarding customer supplied parts... seems to be a problem with customer ineptness. Or are you saying it just has to do with the perception of things?

Hmm... a question: On the flip side, if the customer used your compressor, but still refused to replace the expansion valve and drier, how would you handle it when he came back when it failed again, for now he would say it was your parts. With this customer you note supplying his own compressor, that allowed you to give a disclaimer to void your warrantee. Would you void the warrantee if he simply refused to replace the X-valve and drier after purchasing your compressor, too? Just curious.

I guess I kind of correlate that story with when I brought in a replacement tranny for my BMW. I went to Boyd's here in PDX, and when I brought in the tranny (from a salvage yard), they did the install, but also noted that the tranny was "suspect". Many fine shavings in the fluid when they changed it out, and there was a strange whirl sound in all forward gears except 5th. I acknowledged the observations and the tranny only lasted 5K miles before detonating. It was a bearing going out on the rail with the 4 forward gears. I didn't have any issues with the failure, since the shop did a great install, was observant and noted the concern, and it bought me enough time to find a mint replacement tranny (the first tranny was $50, the second $600 for a premo replacement; for the time it bought me it was well worth it).

I'm sure there are endless twists and turns on troubled stories on repairs from both the shop side and the customer side (and I've seen from the shop side how narrow minded and difficult some customers can be). I think it just comes down to a cooperation... if the shop and the customer are willing to work together, come to an understanding, and agree on something (and abide by that agreement), then there aren't any problems.

JPI, it sounds like your shop is the premier shop that everyone hopes to work with when having their car repaired. I totally understand the shop's POV, for if a customer comes in with a bunch of parts in a plain box only marked with "Made in Kerblamistan" (or some other never heard from country) and look totally suspect, I would refuse to install them, too. It also sounds like you have a strong relation with a parts supplier and charge comparable prices for them.

I'm not too sure if I follow your example. I mean, the parts supplied by the customer were quality parts from the dealer with no problems. It wasn't that the customer supplied the parts that caused the failure, it's the fact that the customer was near-sighted in that he/she couldn't or wouldn't listen to your explination and grasp the need to replace the expansion valve and drier, too. That doesn't seem to be an issue regarding customer supplied parts... seems to be a problem with customer ineptness. Or are you saying it just has to do with the perception of things?

Hmm... a question: On the flip side, if the customer used your compressor, but still refused to replace the expansion valve and drier, how would you handle it when he came back when it failed again, for now he would say it was your parts. With this customer you note supplying his own compressor, that allowed you to give a disclaimer to void your warrantee. Would you void the warrantee if he simply refused to replace the X-valve and drier after purchasing your compressor, too? Just curious.

I guess I kind of correlate that story with when I brought in a replacement tranny for my BMW. I went to Boyd's here in PDX, and when I brought in the tranny (from a salvage yard), they did the install, but also noted that the tranny was "suspect". Many fine shavings in the fluid when they changed it out, and there was a strange whirl sound in all forward gears except 5th. I acknowledged the observations and the tranny only lasted 5K miles before detonating. It was a bearing going out on the rail with the 4 forward gears. I didn't have any issues with the failure, since the shop did a great install, was observant and noted the concern, and it bought me enough time to find a mint replacement tranny (the first tranny was $50, the second $600 for a premo replacement; for the time it bought me it was well worth it).

I'm sure there are endless twists and turns on troubled stories on repairs from both the shop side and the customer side (and I've seen from the shop side how narrow minded and difficult some customers can be). I think it just comes down to a cooperation... if the shop and the customer are willing to work together, come to an understanding, and agree on something (and abide by that agreement), then there aren't any problems.

You brought up a good point. If he decided to use our compressor but refused to replace the expansion valve and drier. I wouldn't perform the repair! I would kindly suggest my client to wait until he has save enough money.

I did invite him to come in the shop so I can clearly explaint to him how the A/C system works. We did put a note on the ticket and have him signed. I told him " It won't last long and I was right." We will do our best to save our client. But when it comes to A/C work, You can't take any short cut.

We have many clients brought in aftermarket parts for us to install: Turbo, supercharger, suspension components etc. If something come up, the client have their seller take care of it.

We take pictures all of the repair that we do. Well except Oil change :). If something does happen, we can go back to those pictures. We received many positive feedback when we spend pictures to your client. They love it!!

So you are right. It would go case by case.

JPI

JP,

how about when the parts they bring are wrong or defective and now the car is stuck on the rack using up space.

hehehe.... We have quite a few of them here at our shop also.

JPI