Looking For Good Shop

EAGLE33

Hi gents and ladies,

Does anyone know any good mechanic in Orange county, Cali area? I need to do quite a lot of work on my 96 LS (90k service, egr pipe, ecu, etc)....I've tried calling dealer and some independents....I don't really want to curse :censored: , so I just say nothing about pricing they gave me - its otrageous :angry: . I would do it myself, but I don't have time for it. I also don't want to spend more than a car worth...or may be I should just get another one?? :D Back on the East coast my friend have 97 LS and the prices he's telling me is about 2% of what locals want. Please help!!!

Look on the web site www.cartalk.com There is a link to mechanics, type in your zip code, and a list of customer recommended shop for your area will come up. I found one in Esondido called Alternative Automotive with 50+ excellent reports for Lexus service. Shop phone is 760-480-0851. It may be a bit of a drive I'm 40+ miles. But if it as the reports say. It will be worth it. ( I have yet to go there but plan on having service done with them )

I know my info states Ky. I am moving to the Palm Springs area in 1-2 months and looking ahead for a shop.

This place is not all that close to you but give them a call and it might be worth it to drive up.

At least call them and get an idea what an independent would charge for those repairs.

Haines Auto

2233 w. valley

alhambra

626-300-9269

attn: haines

I try to DIY as much as possible nowadays, but in the past he took care of these cars:

Mazda RX2 1972-1983

Mazda 626 1983-1993

Toyota Camry 1983-1993

Villager 1993-2005

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Here is list of things thats needs to be done on my 96:

1) EGR Tube

a) bottom motor mount while at it.

2) Timing belt service

a) timing belt

B) drive belt

c) bearings, seals

d) water pump

3) Spark plugs and Ignition wires

4) Replace ECU

5) Front Brake Pads

6) Transmission oil change

I have all the parts already. "Stealer" wants $3k wtihout warranty (because they couln't rape me on parts :censored: ). My Indi is almost $2k for labor. What do you think? :whistles: Is it worth doing it in a first place? The car still under 100k and I can still get some dough for it.....Not really want to, but gas and repair prices starting to scare me :o

1) EGR Tube

2) Timing belt service

a) timing belt

B) drive belt

c) bearings, seals

d) water pump

4) Replace ECU

5) Front Brake Pads

I have all the parts already. "Stealer" wants $3k wtihout warranty (because they couln't rape me on parts :censored: ). My Indi is almost $2k for labor. What do you think?:whistles: Is it worth doing it in a first place? The car still under 100k and I can still get some dough for it.....Not really want to, but gas and repair prices starting to scare me :o

too bad you don't live in TX, my friend has a shop and can do the works for you around 600 bucks total. He replaced timing belt, bearings, seals, tensioners and water pump on my 97 ES300 for total of $350 including parts from toyota.

1) EGR Tube

2) Timing belt service

a) timing belt

B) drive belt

c) bearings, seals

d) water pump

4) Replace ECU

5) Front Brake Pads

I have all the parts already. "Stealer" wants $3k wtihout warranty (because they couln't rape me on parts :censored: ). My Indi is almost $2k for labor. What do you think?:whistles: Is it worth doing it in a first place? The car still under 100k and I can still get some dough for it.....Not really want to, but gas and repair prices starting to scare me :o

too bad you don't live in TX, my friend has a shop and can do the works for you around 600 bucks total. He replaced timing belt, bearings, seals, tensioners and water pump on my 97 ES300 for total of $350 including parts from toyota.

I guess thats the price I have to pay for not living in TX :cries:

• 2 weeks later...

Look on the web site www.cartalk.com There is a link to mechanics, type in your zip code, and a list of customer recommended shop for your area will come up. I found one in Esondido called Alternative Automotive with 50+ excellent reports for Lexus service. Shop phone is 760-480-0851. It may be a bit of a drive I'm 40+ miles. But if it as the reports say. It will be worth it. ( I have yet to go there but plan on having service done with them )

I know my info states Ky. I am moving to the Palm Springs area in 1-2 months and looking ahead for a shop.

That website is greta!! I live in a smaller town now that Im back in school...again...and its hard to find someone trustworthy. Great info...thanks

I was near by Alternative Automotive just last week, and stoped by to check it out. I talked to Steve. I asked him to give me a quote for labor only (because I bought all the parts already) for all the things needed to be done. First he said he can't make any money doing labor only without parts, and then he took my phone number and told me that will call me the latest next day. It's been a week and I'm still "waiting".

So much for the "great service". I don't know who writes reviews on the carstalk, but unless I know the guy I wouldn't trust my car with him.