Camry Input?

nc211

Well since life has begun to slow back down a bit, the issue of my wife's car has come back around. If you recall, we were looking at the PT Cruisers a few months ago, but decided to hold tight until we got through the home buying process first. Now that we've cleared that hurdle, her car is back in our discussions. Her 03' Civic w/ 83k miles is beginning to show it's age a bit, or should I say, it's mileage. Funny thing, we have about $5,000 in equity in it, thanks to advanced payments. But that is to stop, since I feel like we're just throwing money away on a car that has so many miles and, quite frankly, drives like a freakin' John Deere Lawn-Master. Last weekend the dealership sent me home in the new 07 ES350 "those *BLEEP*s!" and now my wife is in love with it! We're FAR from adding that payment to the books, but we can handle the existing one she has now, which is $300. So, being as Toyota is Toyota, and quality is quality, I'm starting to work on the 07' Camry. I've seen some with less than 10k miles for around the $18k mark. Put in the Honda's equity, and maybe a kick or two from good ole' Hubby, I think we're good to match the payment, if not beat it.

Question: Anyone have any experience with the new Camry's? I'm more interested in what people think of the 4 banger engine than the 6. We know how silky smooth the 6 is, and powerful. But she doesn't care one bit about power. She just wants a sunroof, power options, ac and a good stereo.

Thanks a bunch! :cheers:

Since you are looking for used I would recommend the Six as the retained value will be higher plus less wear. Then she would smile when She puts the "Hammer" Down!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, The 6 is sweet BUT, The 4 is built like a tank and will run 4-ever. I have owned 3 4cyl. Camry's in my past and I wish to this day I still had any one of them 89,92,95 :cries: I think she'll love the car ;)

I personally do like the new Camry & there is a reason they sell well over 400,000 of them in the U.S. every year.....just not a fan personally of the first year issue of a new generation. From what I have heard (one of my co-workers ownes a V6 SE model & have talked with a few others) they are having some teething problems because of the first year....everything from electrical to fit & finish to the 6 speed automatic (my co-workers car). Just my 2 cents.

:cheers:

If you're going to occasionally drive it then go for the 6. If it's only going to be her and she's not going to notice anyways then I'd settle for the 4.

As from personal experience. I'm not a big fan of the newer Toyota engines. I hate how they all have the visible thin layer of oil residue when you open the oil cap. Oil seal leak issue's seem to be much higher than Honda's.

My biggest problem isn't really the fear of buying a 1st year production run car simply because after restoring and maintaing my ls400, I really do not fear toyota cars and some of thier quarks, plus, it's a Toyota..aka...Oh what a feeling! My biggest problem is convincing my wife to consider the Camry. She seems to be head-strong, aka "southern-stuborn" against owning a car that everyone owns already. Which to me makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever considering she drives a Honda Civic. :huh:

I can tell you that it's probably going to be a fight to get her to the dealership. But I think if I could just get her to look at one, drive one and consider one with an open mind, it would be a slam dunk. The tuff part here isn't getting the horse to drink, it's leading it to the water. No pun intended. I'm really impartial to the 4 or 6 engine, other than the additional $4 grand. The car will be hers, and she drives like crazy. She already had 83k miles on her late model 03' Civic. I'm thinking the 4 would be fine for her, and my wallet!

I sat in the Camry and the ES350 back to back last week when I got my tires put on. The ES350 is a lot nicer (obviously since its considerably more expensive) but the new Camry is very nice.

I don't know about where you are, but the ES is extremely popular here. They are everywhere. That irritates me too somewhat, but I found having a unique color helps to make yours stand out from the crowd. Look at Camrys in that flint mica color or something unique. I bet she'll go for it.

I agree with you though, a $700 car payment is the last thing you need right after buying your first house.

I'm starting to work on the 07' Camry. I've seen some with less than 10k miles for around the $18k mark.
Around here you can get a new LE for $18k. I've looked at used late model Accords and Camrys for a friend, and I found that it's really not worth buying used unless you are looking at something that is 3+ years old because Accords and Camrys hold their value too well.

If she thinks that the Camry is too commonplace, what about the Accord? I like the Accord better than the Camry. The interior and exterior styling is much better than the Camry to me, and the Accord has better fit/finish. Ohhhh, and the LED tail lights that would seal the deal for me! I really think that you'll be ok with a 4 banger over the 6, especailly since you won't be driving it everyday. I like the new Camry a lot, but I just can't get past the baby blue trim around the stereo/ac controls.

For a girl who has more CRAP in the backseat of her car than probably legally allowed, the $700 a month payment is definetly a no-go. Besides, NC needs to update is number, to 430 someday! Actually, the way my car has been running lately, this 95 is going to carry me to the nursing home in 40 years, damnit.

Blake, up here that baby blue color is referred to Carolina Blue, Tarheels baby! I agree though, the color doesn't do much for me, but the Mrs. seems to love that color. We talked about the Accord as well, but she's against that too, because her mom has one and she's not ready to feel like her mom.

I'm beginning to think I'm gonna have to come home one day with a car for her, and face the punishment. Gee, sure hope she doesn't banish me to the garage, that would be just horrible, with my heater, tv and pneumatics. hahahaa..

Yeah, I'm not much on light blue exteriors either, but the blue I was referring to was the blue on the dash, like this:

c3bf_12.JPG

....that makes the interior borwn, beige, and blue. That's too much for me!

I guess if her mom has one, then the Accord is completely out of the question! Like they (I'm not sure who "they" is though. Probably a bunch of men who are always in trouble.), "it's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission!" LOL :whistles:

Does she need a 4 door car? How about a 2 door Accord?

The Accord is a lot sportier than the Camry too. You wont be able to get past the fact that her mom has one though LOL.

How about a Maxima?

The Accord is a lot sportier than the Camry too. You wont be able to get past the fact that her mom has one though LOL.

How about a Maxima?

I have never had a Nissan...but the new Maxima...looks nice! Also has a lot of features...

As far as the 4 banger Camry...I had an 03! I loved it and drove great...here in flat country more than enough power...but then again I was not trying to race it. I had considered the 6 cyl but found all options that I wanted and the Catalina Blue...with the 4 banger...no negatives here.

How about a Maxima?

We thought about the two door scenario with the PT Convertibles. There is a slight possiblity of one. If so, I would hope it to be a Solera. My folks have a convertible Solera, and it is flawless. But, practicallity will most likely win the debate, even though she hates station wagons, and SUV's. She hates Maxima's too, especially since I came to the LS from the Maxima line.

See what I mean about I'm gonna' have to just go get her a car, and deal with her afterwords? All the "right and obvious" choices, apparently are all the wrong and ugly choices. :wacko:

Oh yeah I forgot about the Maxima you had before.

The Solara is nice, its a little pricier than the Accord coupe though.

Hey here's an idea, what about an Acura TSX? You can get them for around $18k and they have a LOT of style. Two people in my office have them, they're really nice and a LOT of car for the money.

Check out this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-Acura-TS...1QQcmdZViewItem

Or this one, this one's a 6 speed:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-ACURA-...1QQcmdZViewItem

The other choice would be a 2002-2003 ES300 if she really wants the ES.

Wanna buy mine? LOL.

Actually, your's would be a best buy, knowing how well you take care of it.

We looked at the TSX's, but couldn't find any under 20k miles, automatic and sunroof within our price range. Plus, my wife couldn't drive a manual transmission to save her life. Her very first car was a stick, and it went back to the dealership within 3 days.

Her with a Nav system would be like sitting Steve Jobs infront of an old b/w TV. :blink: "what the hell is that?" I kid you not, we about had a mental meltdown last night at 8:00pm because I was buried under my car changing the differential fluid, and she couldn't figure out how to turn on the new tv and cable box for American Idol. Nothing like being covered in gear oil, tip toeing through the living room of white carpet, and trying to not grease up the remote control to hit "cable~on / tv~on / channel 250".

She won't go for the ES, because her former boss "retired" bought one, and she hates him with a burning passion that bubbles up from the pits of hell.

I'm not dealing with a full deck of cards here. It's a blend of go-fish and texas hold'em.

If we could find a TSX, white, auto, roof in the 20k mileage range, in the high teen$, it would probably be the winner.

LOL, I thought mine was crazy!

Sorry honey...don't hit me...ah the pain!

Anyways as for the TSX, you'd be looking more at 40k miles but as long as it has a good maintenance history I wouldn't be worried about that.

I thought she loved the ES350 LOL Boy, you got your work cut out for you!

I sat in the Camry and the ES350 back to back last week when I got my tires put on.

Steve, you needed new tires? :blink:

I was wondering where you've been! Two threads about it in the tires forum, the MXV4s were about 7500 miles from death after 35k.

I was wondering where you've been! Two threads about it in the tires forum, the MXV4s were about 7500 miles from death after 35k.

I've been around lol....just not as much here as I would have liked.....I'll check it out. ;)

I've been around lol....just not as much here as I would have liked.....I'll check it out. ;)

nc, Why don't you look at a used GS ? You could get a 2000-02 for under what you wouls spend on a newer camry,tsx,accord. You would have a 6 cyl. plenty of get -go and all the sport the wifey would want and you would have fun with it too. Besides 2 lex in the garage is a sweet thing :cheers:

The GS is an option, definetly! We haven't looked at them for her too seriously, as most we've seen around here have been in the 80k mileage range, which is a bit too much for her taste, and mine quite honestly. I would rather have the high mileage car, than her. If something brakes on my car, i know how to fix it on the side of the road. Her on the other hand...well, good luck! I've also talked up the IS300 a lot, haven't looked at one with her though, so it's a crap shot. Lexus is definetly at the top of my list for her, especially with a resourse like this in place. I'm beginning to remember some advice I gave to Kewl a few weeks ago, of let her pick it, you buy it, she's happy = you happy.

The GS is an option, definetly! We haven't looked at them for her too seriously, as most we've seen around here have been in the 80k mileage range, which is a bit too much for her taste, and mine quite honestly. I would rather have the high mileage car, than her. If something brakes on my car, i know how to fix it on the side of the road. Her on the other hand...well, good luck! I've also talked up the IS300 a lot, haven't looked at one with her though, so it's a crap shot. Lexus is definetly at the top of my list for her, especially with a resourse like this in place. I'm beginning to remember some advice I gave to Kewl a few weeks ago, of let her pick it, you buy it, she's happy = you happy.

YIKES :o A lexus break down on the side of the road :huh: Are you in the right frame of mind ? Just put the trip odo to zero and tell her it is a new car :lol::lol::lol: What about an avalon ?

I gotta agree with dc, a Lexus at 80k miles is like an ordinary car at 30k miles. You're not going to see a properly maintained Lexus break down on the side of the road with 80k on it.

I wouldn't have a problem with my fiance driving a Lexus with 80k. As a matter of fact she does routinely...mine!

Roadblocked....although I hear you guys, and completely agree. But this theory has been shot down several times with the "why give up my Civic for something with the exact same of miles?" I get killed every time by that one.:pirate: She does now understand the difference between my obsessive nature of preventive maintenance v. actually being broken down. She's seen me one too many times under my car to believe us about the 80k Lexus v. 30k anything else..... this is what I refer to as "lock, load, fire...OUCH, THAT'S MY FOOT!"