Had The Ls-vs On For A Couple Days Now...

SW03ES

Well first of all let me say that the install job is not perfect, which it never is on a Lexus for me unless Lexus does it. There's a small balance issue I need to have them fix, and the steering wheel is about an inch cocked to the left from the alignment (I can't stand that).

I am however very pleased with the tires. Either they've gotten to be as quiet as the MXV4s were or I've gotten used to them. I much prefer how these tires ride, more solid and stable while being softer on impact joints etc. It rained today and wet traction was a significant improvement over the MXV4. They look good too, I'll be happier once I can clean the car up (its been raining). Tire shops always make a mess of tires and wheels and they look ugly before the first wash.

So, its all smiles over here.

Hey crew, just an update.

They seem to me like they're a little louder although I just checked and the sudden drop in temperature dropped my cold PSI, I've re-inflated them and we'll see if that helps with noise. If it doesn't, I may actually opt to swap them out for new MXV4s.

Its not that they're loud its just that at low speeds they do have a little road growl which is something the MXV4s absolutely don't have, although on the highway they're fine.

As for traction, wet traction so far is excellent.

Keep 'em at 31/32 psi yearround. They'll be quieter, they'll last longer, and you'll get better gas mileage. You'll be happier all around with these tires if you'll just keep that pressure up a bit....

It wasn't that 29 was too low, it was just with the extreme change in temperature they were down to 26-27. They're aired up to 30 now, I may try inching them up a little bit. The Toyos rode best at about 32, the Michelins got hard over 30. I just have to play around with these and find where they ride the best.

I'm leaving for Philadelphia tomorrow so that will give me a nice long test.

It wasn't that 29 was too low, it was just with the extreme change in temperature they were down to 26-27. They're aired up to 30 now, I may try inching them up a little bit. The Toyos rode best at about 32, the Michelins got hard over 30. I just have to play around with these and find where they ride the best.

I'm leaving for Philadelphia tomorrow so that will give me a nice long test.

Safe drive Steve......give us your impressions of how the tires performed when you return. B)

:cheers:

When they were new, as they got older they got pretty slick.

Sw, Can I ask your opinion of Kumho tires. I am soon to be in the market for a set and aia want to try a tire other than michelins. Dunlops and bridgestones are out. Thanks...

NTB. The only place thats ever balanced a Lexus right for me the first time is the Lexus dealer.

My Lex came with perfectly balanced Bridgies but I can't say it was my Lexus dealer as the car may have been shipped that way. I have put four sets of tires on my Lex. (2 all season and 2 summer). 3 of the sets where done perfectly by a chain in my area that only uses the Hunter Road Force balancer. The 4th set was my first set of summer tires (Toyo) and they were not perfect but they also didn't use the Road Force balancer.

Last night, we had the first accumlation of snow, just under 2 inches. I was somewhat impressed with the Exaltos in what little snow I had. Still waiting for something to shovel though. The rain traction is excellent.

steviej

Sw, Can I ask your opinion of Kumho tires. I am soon to be in the market for a set and aia want to try a tire other than michelins. Dunlops and bridgestones are out. Thanks...

I personally don't have any experience with Kumhos. I have however heard very bad things from tire dealers and other people I've talked to, and in fact I had two seperate tire dealers refuse to mount Kumho tires on my car for liaility reasons. One agreed to sell me the tires unmounted and one refused outright.

SO, I'd steer clear.

Why no Bridgestones or Dunlops? The LS-Vs I have seem very good, and I've had good experiences with Dunlops too.

I personally don't have any experience with Kumhos. I have however heard very bad things from tire dealers and other people I've talked to, and in fact I had two seperate tire dealers refuse to mount Kumho tires on my car for liaility reasons. One agreed to sell me the tires unmounted and one refused outright.

SO, I'd steer clear.

I concur.....stay clear of Kumho......they are not highly rated on my Subi site either.

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm following this thread with much interest. Steve, you and I have similar taste in tires. We both had a bad experience with the Toyo Proxes ST. I replaced them with a set of MXV4s on and am much happier with them - very nice tires. They have 35K on them and are down to about 4/32, so I'm trying to decide what to get next. They have a 65K warranty, but won't go nearly that far. Because of a communications error, they put H-rated on instead of V-rated, so I'm not sure whether to go with another set of MXV4s, but this time a V-rated tire, or Turanza LS-V or Dunlop Sport 5000. I may also check into Blake's Goodyear recommendation. You'll have to keep us posted on how you like the Bridgestones over time. Great timing!

James