Gas Mileage Rating Vs Reality

I've been driving my LS460 for 3 weeks now and I have no complaints (great car) other than the "around town" mpg is way below the sticker number. I had been driving a SC430 for 5 years and always hit their average advertised numbers 19 mpg on average. The LS, upon first checking the instrument panel's mileage display came up at 13.4 mpg. Yikes! I then began "testing" by traveling in normal mode and driving "conservatively" for 20-30 miles and the best I could do was 17.6.

I drove 2 hours on an interstate trip @ 75 mph and did hit the 27.3 mpg which was nice (great travel car - espacially after the SC430!). So, I've spoke to the dealer, or actually they called me and mentioned the low mileage. He was "checking" with the tech people. Anyone doing better with the mileage?

I've been driving my LS460 for 3 weeks now and I have no complaints (great car) other than the "around town" mpg is way below the sticker number. I had been driving a SC430 for 5 years and always hit their average advertised numbers 19 mpg on average. The LS, upon first checking the instrument panel's mileage display came up at 13.4 mpg. Anyone doing better with the mileage?

Our LS460L is nearing the 3,000 mile point. Our overall average is 18.1 mpg on a mix that is only about 15% highway driving and mostly shorter trips. We are thrilled with that average, not only because it will consistently go at least 400 miles per tank, but also because it's significantly better than our previous car. What's funny (in a way) is that our Honda Element (my work junker) is a car that you could park in Berkeley and get smiles. Park the Lexus there and you get frowns, as though you are personally responsible for the rape and destruction of the planet. In reality, once you get to 25% or more highway use the Lexus actually gets better mileage than the Element, which sticks right at 20mpg in the same usage pattern as our LS. Not to mention that fact that the LS ought to last about twice as long than the Element before heading off to that great recycling plant in the sky...

I've been driving my LS460 for 3 weeks now and I have no complaints (great car) other than the "around town" mpg is way below the sticker number. I had been driving a SC430 for 5 years and always hit their average advertised numbers 19 mpg on average. The LS, upon first checking the instrument panel's mileage display came up at 13.4 mpg. Anyone doing better with the mileage?

Our LS460L is nearing the 3,000 mile point. Our overall average is 18.1 mpg on a mix that is only about 15% highway driving and mostly shorter trips. We are thrilled with that average, not only because it will consistently go at least 400 miles per tank, but also because it's significantly better than our previous car. What's funny (in a way) is that our Honda Element (my work junker) is a car that you could park in Berkeley and get smiles. Park the Lexus there and you get frowns, as though you are personally responsible for the rape and destruction of the planet. In reality, once you get to 25% or more highway use the Lexus actually gets better mileage than the Element, which sticks right at 20mpg in the same usage pattern as our LS. Not to mention that fact that the LS ought to last about twice as long than the Element before heading off to that great recycling plant in the sky...

Berkeley.... Jeezzz... I don't even know why those kids even go to college in the first place. I mean, they shun all elements of monetary success, which is a byproduct of a college education, most of the time. Hahaaa... 'Course, those old VW Microbuses are getting pretty expensive to restore, so maybe the point is moot.

back to topic... i wouldn't worry too much about the low mileage of a new car, as it's probably just breaking itself in, and running rich. just my guess...

You also can't really trust the onboard computer. If you calculate the MPG yourself, I bet you'll get much higher figures. Mine is as much as 4 MPG off.

Thanks for the input everyone. I asked the dealer about "breaking it in" and he mentioned that it was a "Lexus", a finely tune vehicle and he doubted that was an issue. Computers do make errors but again it is calculating fuel use, milegae and speed per mile but hopefully it's not doing a good job! I'll do it manually and see where it ends up.

The fact that you are getting the right mileage on the hwy would make me believe that your car is fine. City is certainly going to be different for each of us. I like to read the fine print on the gas mileage section of a window sticker to see what's the lowest that it will go down to! When I'm in the city (small town), my average driving time is about 5 minutes, so my gas mileage sucks (usually around 13-15mpg when it's supposed to be much higher...like 18 or 19.). I know if I was driving more than 5 minutes where the car actually had a chance to warm up, my mileage would be much better. They test fuel economy in a lab: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/!Removed!/how_tested.shtml . LOL

The fact that you are getting the right mileage on the hwy would make me believe that your car is fine. City is certainly going to be different for each of us. I like to read the fine print on the gas mileage section of a window sticker to see what's the lowest that it will go down to! When I'm in the city (small town), my average driving time is about 5 minutes, so my gas mileage sucks (usually around 13-15mpg when it's supposed to be much higher...like 18 or 19.). I know if I was driving more than 5 minutes where the car actually had a chance to warm up, my mileage would be much better. They test fuel economy in a lab: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/!Removed!/how_tested.shtml . LOL

Have 3800 miles on my LS460 and 19mpg around the neighborhood is not unusual if you keep you foot out of the pedal. You can quickly turn this into 10-12mpg if you are having too much fun. Easy, slow driving in the neighborhood does average 19+mpg. From Jacksonville for Amelia Island, last weekend, doing 70-80 yielded 28mpg. If I were worried about gas I would LOVE how this thing sips gas but at over $71k and a company gas card, I am having too much fun! :D

I love this thing more and more everyday! I love the little sticker on the rear passenger window that warns the owner not to expect much more than 20,000 on a set of tires. You can bet that is RIGHT! They need ed to stick it on the speedometer! :unsure:

Did I say I love this car? I do!