Tranny Flush Or Drain/fill?

njmurvin

My daughter has a 97 ES300 that we purchased at 70k. It now has about 150k and I'm not sure the trans has ever been serviced since 70k (or before, for that matter). My indy mechanic says the fluid looks OK but has recommended sending out to the local oil change guy to do a tranny flush.

I have read numerous nightmare stories - particularly about older transmissions that haven't been meticulously maintained being flushed (flushing causing the movement of particles into VBs etc.). Anyway, is it better to just drain/fill a couple of times in our case or should I let them flush it? Is there a replaceable filter in the trans? How much would Lexus charge me to do a trans service and would they flush it?

My daughter has a 97 ES300 that we purchased at 70k. It now has about 150k and I'm not sure the trans has ever been serviced since 70k (or before, for that matter). My indy mechanic says the fluid looks OK but has recommended sending out to the local oil change guy to do a tranny flush.

I have read numerous nightmare stories - particularly about older transmissions that haven't been meticulously maintained being flushed (flushing causing the movement of particles into VBs etc.). Anyway, is it better to just drain/fill a couple of times in our case or should I let them flush it? Is there a replaceable filter in the trans? How much would Lexus charge me to do a trans service and would they flush it?

Drain and fill, Drain and fill, Drain and fill... You get the idea... :cheers:

A while ago, I actually figured out how many drain and fills it would take to get from 100% contaminated atf to 100% clean fluid. I think it was something like:

1st drain 8 quarts (old atf - 4 quarts drained)0% + 4quarts 100% =33% clean

2nd drain 8 quarts (old atf now at 33%) + 4 quarts 100% =55% clean

3rd drain 8 quarts (old atf now at 55%) + 4 quarts 100% =70% clean

4th drain 8 quarts (old atf now at 70%) + 4 quarts 100% =80% clean

and on and on...

Is this right?

Not really.

Dry fill - 6.75 liters (7.10 US qts, 5.94 Imp.qts)

Drain and refill - 2.5 liters (2.6 US qts, 2.2 Imp.qts)

Differential oil - 0.85 liters (0.89 US qts, 0.75 Imp.qts)

All Dexron-III

It says 2.6qts. But I think that's a bit wrong. I think they're measuring just the pan capacity & not including what will drain back out of the valve body & dump to some extint. 'cause I get more around 3 quarts out most of the time than 2 1/2.

So it's a 7 qt system. It'd take 3 drain & fills & shift to all positions & drive around abit & park & shift to all positions again to statistically change the majority of the fluid. Which is close enough. To me, it just takes little time to flush one using the cooler lines instead of doing that 2-3-4+ times. So I do it that way.

I am sorry but I'm not clear on 'drain & refill' action.

Is it...

drain --> refill --> drive for some miles --> drain again --> refill again --> drive for some miles again --> drain again --> refill (???)

or, is it just...

drain --> refill --> drain without driving --> refill --> drain without driving --> refill (???)

Also, is there a filter for the transmission fluid like the oil filter?? If yes, does it have to be changed as well??

I am sorry but I'm not clear on 'drain & refill' action.

Is it...

drain --> refill --> drive for some miles --> drain again --> refill again --> drive for some miles again --> drain again --> refill (???)

or, is it just...

drain --> refill --> drain without driving --> refill --> drain without driving --> refill (???)

Also, is there a filter for the transmission fluid like the oil filter?? If yes, does it have to be changed as well??

Drain> Fill>Drive, Repeat. :cheers:

I did my first trans. flush at 131,000. but i requested toyota not to use any chemicals.

Presently I have 220,500 . No problem.

After last flush@131,000 i started drain and refill every 15,000 and next 15000 take it to mechanic to drop pan change filter and refill.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Hope that helps.

I did my first trans. flush at 131,000. but i requested toyota not to use any chemicals.

Presently I have 220,500 . No problem.

After last flush@131,000 i started drain and refill every 15,000 and next 15000 take it to mechanic to drop pan change filter and refill.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Hope that helps.

:huh: There is no filter to change, Just a couple of magnets to clean off and a screen. :whistles:

I have never flushed a tranny since I have been driving. I always drain and refill with proper synthetic fluid. Then I drain between 25 to 35K and do it again. Samething over and over.

i know a lot of people that never perform a flush, that doesn't make it correct though.

Just aslong as you get rid of the old crap I don't care. I've done asmany transmission flushes using the cooler lines as I have drain & fills during oil changes. Personally. On mine I flush them & go 2-3 years doing pan drains during oil changes before I flush them again.