Battery Replacement

Lexusing

My battery has about four cracks on the negative pole (original). I am thinking about going to Sears, buy one and replacing it myself. What precaution should I take? Does Sears' battery fit perfectly in a 96 LS? Should I go to a Toyota dealer? Size? Etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

My battery has about four cracks on the negative pole (original). I am thinking about going to Sears, buy one and replacing it myself. What precaution should I take? Does Sears' battery fit perfectly in a 96 LS? Should I go to a Toyota dealer? Size? Etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I bought a battery from a local car shop and the friggen thing was sooooo small that the bracket couldn't be tightened enough to hold it in place! I went back and got the biggest one (that fit) with the highest cranking amps I could find and all is good now.

I'll go out and get the name and model of the battery later.

Tan, measure the dimensions of the battery. Indicate which poles are located where. Go to Costco (cheapest place to buy a great battery) and find one the same size. NEVER let any battery salesperson tell you that "this little dinky battery is whats specified for your car." And don't buy the crap that "a larger battery could damage your electrical system." Total BS.

I got a nice fat 84 month battery for my Caprice at Costco for $46. No pesky sales people either. Great battery, I've had several from there over the years, one lasted over 8 years!

Sears batteries suck. They design the to die about a year before the limited warrenty runs out. That way, they can sell them another one. DieEasy batterys are great when new, but go downhill rapidily at a certain point.

I've found that Lexus uses a battery with the terminals "reversed" from the norm so be careful when buying a replacement (not as many options). I've used everything from Lexus labeled batterys (that didn't fit the battery box either) to Deka to the current Wal-Mart-labeled battery (requires a spacer to make it "tall" enough to fit properly). They've all had similar lifespans.

yea go to costco and use their batteries and just take them back every 2 or3 years sor what eve the warrentee is so they replace it for free. so the cost of one battery lasts a lifetime think of changing the battery as general maintnance :lol:

had bad expience with costco ones. mine cracked spilling acid in the engine compartment. i would recommend interstate brand. they have 5 years full warranty and fit your car perfectly. i have this brand in both cars and no problems whatsoever. origin Lexus(panasonic) battery is also good but overpriced.

use a optima battery it will last forever

and the poles aer reversed

it can be made to strech alittle if the wrapping is removed off the terminal wires

but i replaced a bit of mine for the battery body ground and the starter

and now the car works much better

• 4 months later...

Denny,

Wish this post had come up a month ago. Bought Sears Gold battery to replace original in my 99 LS.

Has a 2 year full replacement(maybe 3 - I'll look)

The width is correct, but it is about 1 inch short lengthwise in the "fitted" Bracket that the hold down bolts go through. I complained to the clerk the next day about it, but she said it was the exact match (cold crank, etc..) for my car. I've check it now and then; doesn't slip or anything but it is a sore subject <_<

I'm a little bummed....