Softer, Quieter Tires For Gs430

My tires are getting close to needing to be replaced on my 01 GS430 and I want a set that is quieter and softer than the Toyos on it now. I was thinking of going to a tire with a thicker sidewall to help the cause (in addition to correcting my speedometer which is currently showing 75 when I'm actually going 70).

Any suggestions on brand/size. I currently have the stock 17's on the car and I noticed that the LS430 rolls on 225/55R17 size tires. Would this be a good size to achieve a more LS-like ride?

Thanks for the help.

If you want "a more LS-like ride", you could try a set of wheels and tires in the size that was standard on the 2001 GS430 - 225/55VR16.

Your car apparently has the optional 235/45ZR17 tires on the optional 17" wheels -- probably improves handling but at the cost of a harsher ride.

Or play with tire size calculators like the one at http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp to find a size that does what you want on 17" wheels.

Most speedometers are off about as much as yours is -- Tom and Ray Magliozzi had a segment about this last week on their radio show "Car Talk" -- very funny but serious in that your odometer is reporting about 4% more miles than is really on the car. My handheld GPS shows that the speedo error on my 00 LS400 is similar to yours -- indicated 75 mph at an actual 70 mph.

Yeah, I was figuring that going from the 235/45ZR17 to the 235/55R17 size would make my speedometer pretty much dead on. I've heard the the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Pirelli PZero Nero, or Falken 512 are all very quiet, smooth tires. The Michelins sound like they're more performance oriented than I'm looking far. Does anyone know a better set for road noise and smoothness, or are those the best?

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport AS on my GS and they are the best tire I have ever owned. They are smooth, great handling in all weathers, but not particularly quiet. When they wear out, I am going to get another set of them, but they will be 245/45-17's, a bit wider than stock just because they will look better on the wheels.

if anyone cares...

if you take into account that the original factory tire size for a GS is 225-55-16, then factor up to a 17 inch wheel, you will find that lexus used the wrong size tire in the 235-45-17. the correct tire size is 245-45-17, which has almost the exact same circumference as a 225-55-16. i can't figure out why they did this, but i switched mine a long time ago.

carry on...

In all honesty, the only way to get an LS like ride is to buy an LS, or to a lesser extent an ES.

The GS, due to its very nature, is a sportier and more firmly damped car than the LS.

Going to a wider sidewall tire (the correct size) as others have said will help some, and going to a stock GS 16 inch wheel tire combo will help more, but its still not going to ride anything like the LS.

I'm not shooting for a ride exactly like the LS, because I do enjoy the sporty feel. I just mentioned the LS to illustrate what I meant by softer and quieter. I think I mostly just want to cut down on the road noise that the Toyos currently give me. Thanks for the advice.

My 2002 GS300 has been running on Bridgestone LS-Z for about 8K miles. The ride is comfortable, very quiet. Handling is less than desired, but OK still. I could drive about twice the speed limit on highway ramps while feeling a bit pushing to the limit. This tire has great reputation on wet performance, though I haven't yet expereinced on that. On a trip to Grand Canyon, I was driving 135mph while my girlfriend was napping. Overall I'd say thay are awesome tires. One thing though, I find the optimal tire pressure at 37psi front and 39psi back.

I put Michelin Pilot Sport Exalto all seasons (235/45/17) on our's and the ride is VERY SMOOTH and VERY QUIET.

I recommend these wholeheartedly.

These are MUCH less harsh than the regular Mich PS All Season and work well in the wet and dry

I have a Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z with 25k mile. The is a great tire, very quite and handles great on wet surface. The handling is average with a good ride. They are a bit pricy about $220 each. If you want quite with a good ride and average handling this is the tire. It is only waranteed for 30k on the GS and 40k other; I should get 40k also.

I have a Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z with 25k mile. The is a great tire, very quite and handles great on wet surface. The handling is average with a good ride. They are a bit pricy about $220 each. If you want quite with a good ride and average handling this is the tire. It is only waranteed for 30k on the GS and 40k other; I should get 40k also.

Hello, I've got an 01 gs430 with Yokohama avid v4s. I've put a little over 55K on this set and will definately get another set. They ride well and are very quiet--something that's pretty important to me. Good luck.

I'm looking to put a set of Yoko Avid 4's onto some Foose wheels. Wish me luck!

Hello, I've got an 01 gs430 with Yokohama avid v4s. I've put a little over 55K on this set and will definately get another set. They ride well and are very quiet--something that's pretty important to me. Good luck.