Honest Opinions About The Ls430

HobokenGuy

Sorry about your car. Must be frustrating. Well since your in the market get a Cheap Ls430 or Upgrade to a Ls460 in a couple months. Or.. the new S-class looks pretty dope. I also heard/read that Merc worked really hard on makin the S-class reliable. Maybe just lease it and if it sucks, you don't own it!

I have been reading this forum for about a year since I got my "04 LS430 from the original owner. I just have to reply to this post!!

I had owned MB's of all series since my first 450SE in 1973. The last 2 were a 90's S500 and an ML320. The quality reputation of Lexus is what drew me and I couldn't be happier. As others have said, you don't have the snob appeal of the MB, but you won't be watching the flatbed hauler roll up regularly either! I have yet to have something for the dealer to repair.

Best of luck with the lemon.

I currently own a 2000 S 500 which I absolutely :censored: hate, and I am starting to look for either an Acura RL or a LS 430.

Has anyone had experience with the Lexus certified warranty? Is it true that the dealer will give out a loaner car eventhough you didn't buy the vehicle there?

All feedback will be greatly appreciated. After an Audi A8 and a S class (both have been reliability nightmares) it's time to move on.

Thanks in advance. :cheers:

ls 430 is a good car; however, i have a complaint about lexus management. i bougth the car brand new with lexus link has voice recording, emergency bottom; since lexus change to digital. lexus sent me a letter saying that please bring the car to take the lexus link out. the dealer didn't say anything what they were going to do. After several days, i notice that my voice recording was taken out. lexus can't do anything about it. I filed a complaint to BBB for this matter; now lexus is looking into it and open my case again. i don't want this happen to anyone else. if lexus send you something make sure you ask them what are they going to do for this campainge. if i knew what they were going to do, i would not let them touch anything because i paid for all the accessory. I paid for the lexus link feature; if i wanted plain i would buy plain. now the interior does not look like luxury car anymore since they took out the lexus link feature - very plain. i hope lexus will compensate me from what i already paid the extra feature.

the engine wise is good and reliable as well has no problem for 5 years.

I thought the same thing, but since the car is still under extended factory warranty, they are liable, per my attorney. He said it varies state by state rule.

I'm no lawyer, but this is in direct conflict from everything I've ever heard about the lemon law. It does vary from state to state, but I've always been told they all have one thing in common, second hand vehicles are exempt.

Oh I'm not saying that its not ridiculous, I'm just saying that he may not be covered under the lemon law.

I suspect his lawyer feels he has a case anyway.

Go here to read all about the NJ Lemon law:

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/ocp/lembroc.pdf

NJ does have a used car lemon law, and it does address buying back the vehicle but the dealer is allowed to deduct personal use fees from what they pay you. Since he's had the car for 3 years now, it may be substantial.

Lets say ge bought the car for $40,000 and he's driven 30,000 miles. They calculate the personal use fee by 40.5 cents per mile, so his personal use costs would be $12,150 meaning the dealer would only owe him $27,850. He might be able to get more than that for it on the market.

But the thing is the mechanical shape isn't going to neccisarily be an issue with resale. Get it running, someone will buy it, or just trade it in. Remember, he bought it and I'm sure it was a maintenance hassle for the first owner too. Plus, you've got to pay the lawyer and go through the hassle and the TIME to get all of this done. I think he's making this harder on himself than it has to be. He's gotten 3 years out of it, he should take it as a lesson learned and move on with his life.

Also remember he's coming up on 7 model years old, the cutoff for the lemon law.

I know you're angry, and you have every right to be, but you've got to make a calm business decision that is not driven by a desire for revenge or restitution.

I'd just get rid of the car and move on.

im just wondering why did you keep the car for 3 years? surly after at least the 15th time in the shop you were ready to slap your service guy. unless the problems have recently showed up, which i doubt is the case.

HobokenGuy:

You are why Lexus exists! They are perfect cars, even the old ones that need typical wear and tear repairs. You won't be stranded in the LS430, that's pretty much guaranteed! I have never once been stranded. Nor has my car never started, or failed. It's had some suspension problems due to previous owner, but mechanically, they are probably the best car money can buy in that department.

You buy the LS, and you won't think twice about MB again, especially after your experience with MB. It will feel like you have finally been freed from the repair shop prison.

However, some of the 6'1 + guys on here have a tough time getting comfortable in the LS. But that's the 400 series, I"m not sure about the 430 series. They definetly look bigger on the outside.

I agree with Swo: get rid of it and buy the LS. The car has been a nightmare for you long enough. It's worth any loss of minimal profit you might receive from a lawsuit to free yourself from the nightmare.

One thing you might be able to do however is to have the MB dealership find you the LS430 that you want, and have them do the trade for you. You might have some grounds for an increased trade in value on yours by showing them good faith by giving them your business in general.

PS: Was in Teaneck recently, nice area where you live!!

It sounds like your best option is to drive it off of the nearest cliff or set the car on fire.

Just park it in downtown Newark with the keys in the ignition and the windows open. I guarantee you'll never see it again. :D

I would start shopping now and find a car you like. Pick up the S500 (when it's finally done) and drive straight to the dealer who is holding your new car. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, just do the trade and get rid of it.

They will most likely sell the car wholesale anyway (if they are not a Mercedes dealer) so as long as its not obviously leaking, bashed to hell or on fire they should offer you something decent especially if its in good cosmetic shape. :pirate:

Crunch the numbers, the trade-in value might be almost the same as what you could get from the buyback (minus legal fees and your therapy bill). Steve's right: you have to measure the financial gain of the dealer buying back vs. the hassle (and expense) of the legal process, and the days (weeks? months?) of your life it will consume.

And every day that you spend dealing with this is one day less you could be spending in a nice, trouble free Lexus.......

and the days (weeks? months?) of your life it will consume.

Ot years, legal process is definately not quick.

You are why Lexus exists! They are perfect cars

They are certainly excellent cars, but they're not perfect. If you set yourself up to never expect your Lexus to need repairs or warranty work you're going to be dissapointed (and we've seen people who are this way right here on the forum, cursing Lexus because their 16 year old LS has uncomfortable seats, or rides funny etc). Its a machine, an extremely wel built machine but still a machine and things still go wrong.

and the days (weeks? months?) of your life it will consume.

Ot years, legal process is definately not quick.

You are why Lexus exists! They are perfect cars

They are certainly excellent cars, but they're not perfect. If you set yourself up to never expect your Lexus to need repairs or warranty work you're going to be dissapointed (and we've seen people who are this way right here on the forum, cursing Lexus because their 16 year old LS has uncomfortable seats, or rides funny etc). Its a machine, an extremely wel built machine but still a machine and things still go wrong.

I agree, but in comparision to his experiences so far with his MB, I'd have to say he would be in for a real treat of mechanical perfection if he decided to buy the LS430.

taste of lexus is on october for the NY area, so if you havent made a decision about your next vehicle, this might be something worth your time. i have never been to one of these events personally but i may go in september. from what i hear & read its something you wouldnt want to pass up whether you are in the market for a car or not.