Low Maintenance Solutions

Hi folks,

I just got a new IS 250 AWD in Black Onyx. It looks spectacular, but I have never owned a black car before & I am nervous about protecting the finish. This car is a 15k mile commuter car on highways & country roads & New England winters, so it will see plenty of abuse. I bought the clear bra from the dealer so that should help, but I am looking for some suggestions on how to care for the car & keep it looking good. Now, I should say that I am lazy & I don't even really like to spend more than an hour or so washing or whatever. I read about claying & I doubt I would have the patience for that. But, I am also willing to accept that I won't have the best looking car in the world -- I just want it to look decent. I ordered some Optimum car wash stuff to clean it in the garage in the winter, but what else should I be doing? Zaino? Seems like a lot of work... I ordered the optimum spray wax too, but I can't see that lasting too long. What is a good durable finish?

I bought the "ResistAll" stuff from the dealer too, but I suspect that was a waste... I think it's just a polymer sealant, but it does warranty the car against tree sap, acid rain, etc etc. Also it covers punctures & tears to the leather.

Thanks for the input

--SB

My advice? Hire a detailer to take care of it and don't be bothered. Get it washed every week and fully detailed twice a year, maybe a wax coa in between detailings. It'll cost you ~ $30 a week for the wash, maybe another $30 if you do a wax coat in between detailings, and $150-$220 every 6 months for the detail. If you have a nice car you want to keep nice, but aren't enthused by detailing its money well spent.

And yes, the "ResistAll" was a ripoff and I've even heard some reports of the leather protectant causing premature cracking. The money would have been better spent on a professional detailer.

My advice? Hire a detailer to take care of it and don't be bothered. Get it washed every week and fully detailed twice a year, maybe a wax coa in between detailings. It'll cost you ~ $30 a week for the wash, maybe another $30 if you do a wax coat in between detailings, and $150-$220 every 6 months for the detail. If you have a nice car you want to keep nice, but aren't enthused by detailing its money well spent.

I think you may be on to something there. I found a place nearby that will clay & wax for $75 and buff for another $25. Similar prices for the interior so for $200 you can get everything possible done to it. If they use a synthetic sealant I can do it 2x a year & keep it looking nice for less money than what 8-10 hours of my time is worth to me. They have a website: Concord Auto Spa I have no experience with them, but I have to give them credit for taking the time to do a website.

And yes, the "ResistAll" was a ripoff and I've even heard some reports of the leather protectant causing premature cracking. The money would have been better spent on a professional detailer.

I figured... oh well it's a lesson learned. I won't use the bottles of stuff they gave me. On the plus side, if I ever rip or puncture the leather, they will repair it free.

--SB

I just bought an IS250 (Silver w/black interior) and live in Southern California near the ocean. Do you have any specific suggestions for the kind of place to use (or NOT use) to get it washed? Thanks.

I think you may be on to something there. I found a place nearby that will clay & wax for $75 and buff for another $25. Similar prices for the interior so for $200 you can get everything possible done to it. If they use a synthetic sealant I can do it 2x a year & keep it looking nice for less money than what 8-10 hours of my time is worth to me. They have a website: Concord Auto Spa I have no experience with them, but I have to give them credit for taking the time to do a website.

Eh I'd be leery. Get references, look to see car ENTHUSIASTS and COLLECTORS using a place you choose. For every 1 good detailer there are 5 bad ones, and the bad ones usually are the more expensive. I checked out that site, they look good but visit their shop and enquire about their materials. You want to see microfiber towels, cars taped off while polishing, etc.

I just bought an IS250 (Silver w/black interior) and live in Southern California near the ocean. Do you have any specific suggestions for the kind of place to use (or NOT use) to get it washed? Thanks.

Don't use:

Automatic Carwashes

Tunnel Hand Washes

Most detailers

Do use:

A good detailer that has excellent references and uses the materials we discuss here

Yourself

;)

Eh I'd be leery. Get references, look to see car ENTHUSIASTS and COLLECTORS using a place you choose. For every 1 good detailer there are 5 bad ones, and the bad ones usually are the more expensive. I checked out that site, they look good but visit their shop and enquire about their materials. You want to see microfiber towels, cars taped off while polishing, etc.

Don't use:

Automatic Carwashes

Tunnel Hand Washes

Most detailers

Do use:

A good detailer that has excellent references and uses the materials we discuss here

Yourself

;)

Oh, that's interesting--I thought the place I used for my old car, since it was a tunnel hand wash, was okay. Is there a website where I can find suggestions about a great detailer close to where I live? Also (since I've never used a detailer) do they specialize or are they generalists? In other words, do I need to find someone who has a speciality in working with Lexus cars?

Tunnel handwashes are sometimes the worst because they use the same sponges and towels for every car and cross contaminate grit etc, they also dont spend any time washing lightly so as not to induce marring.

As for detailers, they don't specialize in types of cars generally, look for someone who has experience with expensive cars or show cars because they'll be up on all the latest products and techniques.

As for a website, go to www.autopia.org. There are a LOT of very good pro detailers on their boards, and they all have links to their websites etc. There are plenty of them in CA.

Quote: ...bought the "ResistAll" stuff from the dealer too, but I suspect that was a waste... I think it's just a polymer sealant, but it does warranty the car against tree sap, acid rain, etc etc. Also it covers punctures & tears to the leather.

There is no product that will resist the acidic damage that is caused by acid rain (pH 3.0 0 4.0) and catalytic converter emissions (hydrochloric and sulphuric acids)

I would suggest you check the smal print on the warranty, @Also it covers punctures & tears to the leather"

"If it sounds too good to be true et etc"

Don't use:

Automatic Carwashes

Tunnel Hand Washes

Most detailers

Do use:

Yourself

;)

Curious to why you say no to automatic carwashes?? We have a place called Ernies Touch Free here in mass... and for about $5 each with a booklet.. you get just a standard wash and blowdry... its touchless... (usally they use a brush before you go in.. but I tell them no brush on the paint...) I've been using it... then pulling around to the side and finish drying it off... seems to work great....

Something I'm missing?? :unsure:

Curious to why you say no to automatic carwashes?? We have a place called Ernies Touch Free here in mass... and for about $5 each with a booklet.. you get just a standard wash and blowdry... its touchless... (usally they use a brush before you go in.. but I tell them no brush on the paint...) I've been using it... then pulling around to the side and finish drying it off... seems to work great....

I know this is for SW...but IMHO...

Touch free carwashes do not get all of the dirt and grime off of your car...and if they are towel drying the rest of the car they are just scratching your paint. If they only blow dry the car and that is it then that is fine...it will not scratch your paint because nothing is touching the car...

I use these types of washes when my car is dusty or I just want to have it sprayed off. They are OK but I would never think about waxing the car after using the touch free wash...they just do not clean it good enough. After going to a touch free wash take a white towel and spray some quick detailer on the lower part of your car wipe it off and see if your towel is still white.

Tunnel handwashes are sometimes the worst because they use the same sponges and towels for every car and cross contaminate grit etc, they also dont spend any time washing lightly so as not to induce marring.

As for detailers, they don't specialize in types of cars generally, look for someone who has experience with expensive cars or show cars because they'll be up on all the latest products and techniques.

As for a website, go to www.autopia.org. There are a LOT of very good pro detailers on their boards, and they all have links to their websites etc. There are plenty of them in CA.

Thanks for the info. As you can tell, I'm a newbie, so this help is really valuable. I’ll check out autopia for a detailer. Meanwhile. . .

I live about 5 blocks away from the beach. My new car is parked outside during the day at work (in an alley of sorts), and is under a carport at night. In the morning there is sometimes a very fine layer of dust (fallout?) on the car.

I’m a low maintenance kind of person, and like I said before, very unlikely to do a wash myself every week, but I would like the car to stay looking good. Since I live in an apt. complex, I’m not sure I have a place where they would let a mobile detailer come and work on the car.

My questions:

1. How often do you recommend I get a wash? A wax? A complete detail?

2. My guess is you’ll likely recommend the washing once a week, but if I’m paying for it that’s going to add up quick. Is there a chance I can get a wash every other week but on the alternate weeks do something quick myself like ONR?

3. What do you recommend for a really quick touch up if I notice something (bird droppings, etc.) on the paint--does Quik Detailer work?

4. And a random question about the interior—I’ve read somewhere in a posting that for quick touch ups Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer is recommended. Do the Quik Interior Detailer wipes work as well? And would they work on the nav screen and on the wood areas?

Thanks again.

Couple problems with touchless washes (this is not what I'm referring to, I mean automatic carwashes with those spinning cloth strip jobs)) that LEX touched on.

1. The chemicals used are EXTREMELY harsh. So harsh in fact that any wax protection on the paint will surely be stripped, and over time I'd be concerned with drying out of seals and plastic components.

2. The water is recycled, since they can't filter ALL particles from previous washes from the water, this is being blasted into the paint under high pressure, you'll see dulling from this over time.

3. Like LEX said, these do not remove all the road film and debris from the paint, so when you dry it off you're just smearing that film and grme into the paint, which WILL cause swirls and micromarring.

If you absolutely need to do a quick clean this is the way to go, but DO NOT dry it without spraying on a waterless wash or QD product first. If you're going to dry it afterwards with no QD, you're better off using a soft cloth automatic wash.

Since I live in an apt. complex, I’m not sure I have a place where they would let a mobile detailer come and work on the car.

They will, when I was detailing professionally for customers at apartments a lot of times I just did the car wherever it was parked since I didnt need water. I've also detailed in the bottom of city garages, cars parked on the street etc. Thats what mobile detailers are for.

Anyways, you can always just use a detailer that has a location you can travel to. It takes a pro 30min tops to wash a car properly, just read a magazine once a week for 30 mins.

1. How often do you recommend I get a wash? A wax? A complete detail?

At the beach? Every week for the wash, every 3 months add some kind of protection to the paint. The frequency you'll need complete details (including interior work, compounding, etc) will depend on how well you maintain the car in between, but it should be clayed, polished, and sealed every 3 months because of the conditions. If you have a professional (or you) wash every week, and protect the car every 3 months you may never need to do complete details (I dont, but mine is garaged).

2. My guess is you’ll likely recommend the washing once a week, but if I’m paying for it that’s going to add up quick. Is there a chance I can get a wash every other week but on the alternate weeks do something quick myself like ONR?

Personally, I dont think ONR or QEW are any faster than washing with a hose really. I use them, but only when a hose is unavailiable (in the winter mainly). Yes though, you certainly can do that. You need to purchase the right materials and learn the right technique though, or you're going to create issues your detailer will have to resolve, using up much of the cash savings.

3. What do you recommend for a really quick touch up if I notice something (bird droppings, etc.) on the paint--does Quik Detailer work?

A good Quick Detailer.

4. And a random question about the interior—I’ve read somewhere in a posting that for quick touch ups Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer is recommended. Do the Quik Interior Detailer wipes work as well? And would they work on the nav screen and on the wood areas?

I've never used the wipes (I havent been happy with other wipe products though) but the Interior Quick Detailer works great. I use it on everything in the interior, wood, nav screen etc. Dont let it dry on clear pourous materials like the gauge lens, because it will etch.

The long and the short of it is, a car like the IS is a serious expenditure. If you want it to look its best and keep looking its best for as long as possible, its going to take effort or its going to take money. No way around that. Time and weather wear out everything, the only thing you can do is slow that process down with proper care. Its just like anything, a house, a boat, yourself!

Trust me though, it works. You should see my car at nearly 80k miles, looks brand new inside and out and with the people I carry and the miles and roads I drive, its no garage queen. It takes effort, but not much (an hour a week), and its saved me SO much money. If it didnt still look this good still I probably would have already spent $45k on a new one.

Couple problems with touchless washes (this is not what I'm referring to, I mean automatic carwashes with those spinning cloth strip jobs)) that LEX touched on.

:wacko:

1. The chemicals used are EXTREMELY harsh. So harsh in fact that any wax protection on the paint will surely be stripped, and over time I'd be concerned with drying out of seals and plastic components.

2. The water is recycled, since they can't filter ALL particles from previous washes from the water, this is being blasted into the paint under high pressure, you'll see dulling from this over time.

3. Like LEX said, these do not remove all the road film and debris from the paint, so when you dry it off you're just smearing that film and grme into the paint, which WILL cause swirls and micromarring.

If you absolutely need to do a quick clean this is the way to go, but DO NOT dry it without spraying on a waterless wash or QD product first. If you're going to dry it afterwards with no QD, you're better off using a soft cloth automatic wash.

[

Thanks SWO3ES and LEX.. After reading what Lex wrote.. I thought about doing the QD as I was drying the car... Looking around... it looked like Mothers was the QD to get being I remember seeing it at nearly every Wally World I went to and I didnt have 2 order it... but not the case when I was going to buy it... so I picked up a bottle of the TW ICE QD.... I have 2 say.... it made the car looked great!! not only last night... but this morning it poured... and us ally I have water spots or dirt from the rain... but this afternoon it looked like I just got done washing it still! I even used it on my wheels...

What QD do you guys recommend?

As for using the touch less.... I'm realistic.. lol and as much as I would love to wash my girl by hand... no way in heck will it ever get wash.... :wacko: So I would just use the touch less and towl dry about every other day or at least 3 times a week...

Another thing I really like about using the QD as I dry... before I tried to get the water off so it wouldnt spot... but with the QD I dont have to worry about that now.. so I can do the doors, trunk and hood first now.. and since I have it detailed every 60 days.... I'm hoping this will be something that will help the car stay nice for years....

Again thanks guys for all your help...

I like Clearkote's QuikShine, but whatever works for you is fine. if you like the TW product, go with that. Make sure you use nie plush MF towels though, the only way to get good ones is online. I reccomend www.pakshak.com

As for using the touch less.... I'm realistic.. lol and as much as I would love to wash my girl by hand... no way in heck will it ever get wash.... So I would just use the touch less and towl dry about every other day or at least 3 times a week...

This is crazy, if you add up the time it takes you to drive through the touchless wash, QD and dry every other day it takes more time than just washing once a week.

Personally, I wouldn't use a touchless wash that often. Again, the chemicals are SO harsh and the water is so gritty, I'd be seriously concerned about dulling of the clearcoat and drying out the seals and plastic components prematurely. Not to mention the fact that your wax added at your 60 day detail will be gone in one wash, maybe two.

You're better off finding a good brushless tunnel wash and using that once a week and then having the car totally detailed every 60 days than using the touchless 3 times a week.

I like Clearkote's QuikShine, but whatever works for you is fine. if you like the TW product, go with that. Make sure you use nie plush MF towels though, the only way to get good ones is online. I reccomend www.pakshak.com

As for using the touch less.... I'm realistic.. lol and as much as I would love to wash my girl by hand... no way in heck will it ever get wash.... So I would just use the touch less and towl dry about every other day or at least 3 times a week...

This is crazy, if you add up the time it takes you to drive through the touchless wash, QD and dry every other day it takes more time than just washing once a week.

Personally, I wouldn't use a touchless wash that often. Again, the chemicals are SO harsh and the water is so gritty, I'd be seriously concerned about dulling of the clearcoat and drying out the seals and plastic components prematurely. Not to mention the fact that your wax added at your 60 day detail will be gone in one wash, maybe two.

You're better off finding a good brushless tunnel wash and using that once a week and then having the car totally detailed every 60 days than using the touchless 3 times a week.

So your saying... Unless you can hand wash your car every other day... its better to drive around in a dirty car for a week!?? That's crazy if you ask me...

As for the time it takes.. I'm in and out in 20 mins... that's an hour a week.. and my car looks gorgeous nearly every day...

Also the car wash I go 2... They do not recycle the water... and they pre filter the water using Reverse Osmosis... That's drinking water!

So your saying... Unless you can hand wash your car every other day... its better to drive around in a dirty car for a week!?? That's crazy if you ask me...

As for the time it takes.. I'm in and out in 20 mins... that's an hour a week.. and my car looks gorgeous nearly every day...

Also the car wash I go 2... They do not recycle the water... and they pre filter the water using Reverse Osmosis... That's drinking water!

Never drive a dirty LEXUS! :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot:

It is up to you...but me personally I also do not use the automatic washes that often...Even if the water is distilled water by using the high pressure, to get the dirt off of the car you are still blasting dirt in to the paint. They also do use some pretty strong chemicals too...as SW said. I am not going to say that using the was every once in awhile, but usually only if my car is pretty clean anyway. I also do not plan on keeping either one of the cars much more than 3 years so I am not to worried about the long long term effects...but still I do not want to mess up paint/clear coat on the cars. What I do is have a guy that comes to my work usually once a week and if not I will hand wash... ;) I usually spend 10 mins or so cleaning the front bumper and all of the bug prone areas every morning...and usually hit the wife's too! :chairshot: I use a quick detail spray meguiars or eagle one with microfiber towels. I also wax that area quite often. I will usually every 3 - 4 months wax and detail in and out of the car...but I also keep them in a garage and have the tendency if it is raining to leave it parked in there...hate getting a clean car dirty!

Do whatever works for you! :D :lol::cheers:

No, I'm saying you shouldnt worry about washing your car every day. Just hand wash it once a week, it will take you an hour tops. In fact, I can wash, dry, and vaccum a car in 25 minutes when I'm in a hurry.

Your car will stay VERY clean if you just wash it once a week, its a daily driver if you're obsessed with always keeping it clean you will make yourself crazy. Mine gets washed once a week, and if you keep them waxed water wont spot that bad and dirt won't adhere to the paint that bad, mine looks gorgeous nearly every day too.

IMHO, it is better to drive around in a dirty car than wash it with those harsh chemicals every other day, yes. Dirt won't hurt the car, those chemicals every other day built up over the years will.

Its your car and your choice, but you're asking for our opinions and thats mine. I've seen cars 2-3-4 years old that have had excessive washing in those machines and the state of the plastic trim and rubber seals is that of cars 2-3 times as old that have been regularly hand washed or weekly automatically washed.

The problem isn't the water, its the CHEMICALS. Touchless washes have the harshest chemicals out there, how else do you think they clean the car without touching it? Those chemicals fade and break down plastic, and a LOT of the car is plastic, the emblems, the window trim, the seals in the doors and windows, all the lights, the trim around the mirrors. Wash it in a touchless wash every other day, in 2 years all that trim will be grey and peeling I promise.

I agree...

I hand wash my cars once a week - on the weekend if weatcher permits.

I wax about once a month or so, and use a detailing spray to get rid of water marks I may have missed after drying.

I've completely written off ALL car washes.

They're like meat grinders and I have no want to drive my nice cars through them anymore.

BTW, I finally used the rest of my Blue Coral car wash and I'm now using the Meguiar's NXT Carwash.

The stuff is awesome.

A little goes a very long way, it foams super well, and it's nice and slick on the car's surface.

Oh, it cleans well too! :P

NXT is a very good wash. I'm using one called 1Z Pearls right now, it doesn't suds up much but it leaves a very slick finish.

Been hand washing mine every week before the sun comes up with Menzerna car shampoo (works good but seems way overpriced, will probably switch to NXT when I run out). All I can add to this conversation is not to skimp on the amount of soap you add to the wash bucket. We've got some pretty hard water in my location, and skimping on the soap means less suds and less protection. I learned right quick that this can lead to scratches in the clearcoat that go a little beyond otherwise unavoidable swirls. :angry: They'll polish out, but I wouldn't have to deal with it if I weren't trying to save 50 cents worth of car wash. :chairshot:

No, I'm saying you shouldnt worry about washing your car every day. Just hand wash it once a week, it will take you an hour tops. In fact, I can wash, dry, and vaccum a car in 25 minutes when I'm in a hurry.

Your car will stay VERY clean if you just wash it once a week, its a daily driver if you're obsessed with always keeping it clean you will make yourself crazy. Mine gets washed once a week, and if you keep them waxed water wont spot that bad and dirt won't adhere to the paint that bad, mine looks gorgeous nearly every day too.

IMHO, it is better to drive around in a dirty car than wash it with those harsh chemicals every other day, yes. Dirt won't hurt the car, those chemicals every other day built up over the years will.

Its your car and your choice, but you're asking for our opinions and thats mine. I've seen cars 2-3-4 years old that have had excessive washing in those machines and the state of the plastic trim and rubber seals is that of cars 2-3 times as old that have been regularly hand washed or weekly automatically washed.

The problem isn't the water, its the CHEMICALS. Touchless washes have the harshest chemicals out there, how else do you think they clean the car without touching it? Those chemicals fade and break down plastic, and a LOT of the car is plastic, the emblems, the window trim, the seals in the doors and windows, all the lights, the trim around the mirrors. Wash it in a touchless wash every other day, in 2 years all that trim will be grey and peeling I promise.

I'm a little confused by the difference between various types of automatic car washes and the terminology used here. Near where I live there is one car wash that uses brushes and then attendants just dry the car, wipe the insides, etc. There is another car wash that I used with my former car that has NO brushes, that bills itself as a "hand wash", and as the car goes through the tunnel guys will use some elbow grease on washing the car, and then will also dry it by hand.

Is that second car wash a "touchless" car wash because it does not use brushes? Also, if I had to choose between going to one of these car washes above (I know, it's best if I hand wash it myself or get it done by a detailer), which would be better for the car?

Many thanks--I'm in the final stages of putting together a car care plan that fits my schedule, interests, and wallet!

First of all, there are VERY few carwashes with "brushes" left in America. The ones you're thinking of a "brushless" and use soft cloth in those spinning rotating doo-dads.

So, we have:

Automatic Brushless Washes:

These are the types of carwashes that you pull up, the car is pulled along on a conveyor while soap and water are sprayed on, the rotating cloth systems wash the car, than it is blow dried, hand dried, sometimes then vacuumed inside etc.

Hand Washes:

These are the types where the vehicle is pulled through where attendants actually wash the car by hand inside the tunnel.

Touchless Washes:

These washes are most often found at gas stations etc. They use soap and a super high pressure water blast to clean the car, and nothing ever touches the paint. Usually the car is stationary and the wand moves around the car dispensing the soap and water.

As to which to avoid, avoid them all.

The automatic brushless tunnel washes actually aren't that bad if you find a good one that uses plenty of lubricating soap. Most of the damage in a wash like this comes from rotating stiff tire brushes that scrape up the wheels, and when the attendents dry the car with filthy, cheap, abrasive towels. If you can find a good one that doesn't dry, thats your best bet. If my car were silver I would use the one I used to use, but dark colored cars and carwashes don't work.

The tunnel hand washes are terrible because the sponges and towels they use are so dirty.

Now, the touchless wash is not as bad because nothing that can SCRATCH the car ever comes in contact with it, BUT the finish is exposed to super harsh chemicals (how else do you think they clean without touching the car?). These chemicals will (in one wash) strip all the wax from the paint, and will over time chemically dry out and damage seals and plastic components.

I mean, come on though. You just bought a $39,000 car. Find the $100 a month or the 4 hours a month to care for it properly, especially if its a dark color.

• 4 months later...

I see no one has mentioned the power wash variety. Typically 3 or more bays where you pull in and you use a high pressure hose/wand to clean your car. I use these in the winter alot or if the car is extremely dirty, as you can get the wheel wells very clean and it allows you to take advantage of a few hours of the day when it is above freezing. I don't towel the car off unless I bucket wash at the same time. They do use chemicals but I don't think they are concentrated like the automatic washes.

I see no one has mentioned the power wash variety. Typically 3 or more bays where you pull in and you use a high pressure hose/wand to clean your car. I use these in the winter alot or if the car is extremely dirty, as you can get the wheel wells very clean and it allows you to take advantage of a few hours of the day when it is above freezing. I don't towel the car off unless I bucket wash at the same time. They do use chemicals but I don't think they are concentrated like the automatic washes.

It would be quicker, better shine, slicker surf, "do at home/garage" and less cost to use ONR. But you need to find what works for you! :)