Ability To Lock Es350 With Engine Running

thomasclarke

I don't believe so no.

Its unfortunate, I had a Ford Explorer before my Lexus and I used to lock it and use the combination pad on the door to unlock it while it was running for things like that.

I don't believe so no.

Its unfortunate, I had a Ford Explorer before my Lexus and I used to lock it and use the combination pad on the door to unlock it while it was running for things like that.

In most states it is ilegal to leave a running car unatended. And if you have a dog or a child in the car you will go directly to jail. Responsability is the way to go.:cheers:

Had he wanted a condescending lecture I'm sure he would have asked for one, but thanks for your input. :rolleyes:

Sorry for that Thomas. Anyways, I've done some research and I don't believe there's any way to do this on any Lexus, let alone one with smart key. I don't understand why more carmakers don't offer the combination pad on the drivers door, I really miss it.

Its not setup that way for that reason, its setup that way so you can't accidentally lock the keys in the car.

and we're talking about running in real quick with the car within eyesight (in your own driveway cooling down or warming up etc) or locking the keys in the car when you can't carry them for some reason (pools, water parks, skiing, etc). Thats why the combo is helpful.

What about engine starters? The car runs with no one in it and they're legal.

Anyways, he didn't ask for a lecture about whether or not he should do that, he asked if it were possible.

Its not setup that way for that reason, its setup that way so you can't accidentally lock the keys in the car.

and we're talking about running in real quick with the car within eyesight (in your own driveway cooling down or warming up etc) or locking the keys in the car when you can't carry them for some reason (pools, water parks, skiing, etc). Thats why the combo is helpful.

Anyways, he didn't ask for a lecture about whether or not he should do that, he asked if it were possible.

Why would you want to lock your car in your own driveway when it is in view ? ( I don't think a neighbor would want to take it for a joy ride ) If you go swimming/skiing etc... Just have the attendant/ hold the keys for you. Engine starters I beleive the car stays locked. You might want to consult an remote car starter tech and ask him/her about how the car remains locked when remotely started. Just a thought. ;) Let us know what you find out. Thanx :cheers:

Why would you want to lock your car in your own driveway when it is in view ? ( I don't think a neighbor would want to take it for a joy ride ) If you go swimming/skiing etc... Just have the attendant/ hold the keys for you. Engine starters I beleive the car stays locked. You might want to consult an remote car starter tech and ask him/her about how the car remains locked when remotely started. Just a thought. ;) Let us know what you find out. Thanx :cheers:

Someone could still jump into your car and drive off before you could do anything about it. A kid could even get in the car and get it into the street causing an accident and you'd be liable. Lots of reasons to want to lock a running car.

Plenty of reasons, what if you want the car to run and cool down/warm up while you're inside the house. I do this ALL THE TIME, especially when I'm going to be taking the dog or something and the car is really hot. Hell, it even gets really hot inside when its been parked in the garage in the summer. As for swimming/skiing, who says theres an attendant? And even if there were, no attendant would hold your keys because of the liability.

Yes, the car stays locked with the engine starter. Thats the whole point! We want to be able to lock the car too!

Someone could still jump into your car and drive off before you could do anything about it. A kid could even get in the car and get it into the street causing an accident and you'd be liable. Lots of reasons to want to lock a running car.

Excellent points. ;)

The only possible way that I found was to pop the cap off and use the metal key to lock it

i have a remote start that works great, tap the buttin twice while the car is running, pull the keys out and dont touch the brake. no key left in car and if someone would get in it would shut off at the touch of the brake. but after 15 min it shuts it self off i think. i know if u start it, it will wrun for 15 thn shut off, that is what i have it set at.