Harmonic Damper Pulley Holding Tool--anyone W/exp

I've done the search on the timing belt change and the DIY pages on water pumps and timing belts so I know about all the materials needed etc. Problem I'm having is the 1/2 inch 500lbs ft. torque rachet I'm using is NOT budging the lower crank bolt. The Specialty Tool described in the service manual doesn't seem to exist and is not used by my local lexus dealer. Their suggestion was "get a bigger gun". I'm working on that but as a last resort does anybody who has changed timing belt/water pump had any experience with the "Harmonic Damper Pulley Holding Tool"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...A%3AIT&rd=1

Just wondering if it actually works. I'm not down for "heating up the bolt", "jaming a pry-bar into the flywheel from behind" or any other of the suggestions I've gotten from some lesser garages around my way. I've been studying the forums and I agree that these cars don't respond well to such treatment. I'm working with a very experienced tech so I'm not attempting all this by myself. He too is working on getting me a higher torquing gun. I'm also not trying to save a buck by doing this job myself, the car is not mobile as it was a write off due to a light front end hit and I'm slowly putting it back together. The lexus dealer in my neck of the woods does not work on non-running cars and since the repairs the car needs are relatively minor it was the cost of the Labor that caused a mint 2002 GS Sportdesign with only 50,000 miles to be classified as "salvage" cough cough :huh: win for me :). This tool would be a last resort and I"m just wondering if it even works. This forum is great, used it a ton already, any response is appreciated...D

Glad you like it here.

Do not heat the bolt much as it will damage the seal and will leak like a pipe after you finish the job.

A slight amount of heat would be ok but you will have to replace the main crank seal.

If you can find a tool use it as it is needed on many lexus V8 cars.

I've done 2 timing belts on 1999 GS400's in the last year. All you have to do is get a long breaker bar. It has to be long enough to touch the floor when the socket is attached to the bolt on the harmonic balancer.

1.Attach the socket to the bolt, and ensure the end is on the ground. The engine turns clockwise, so turn the engine to the right and leave the end of the breaker bar on the ground. Concrete is recommended, but it will work on dirt.

2. Disconnect the ECU-1B fuse to prevent the engine from STARTING. We want the engine to CRANK only.

3. BUMP the engine over lightly, and the bolt will loosen as soon as the end of the breaker bar strikes the ground.

4. Put THREADLOCKER on the bolt when re-installing the bolt after changing the timing belt. Use the strongest gun you can to install the bolt. I have never had a bolt come loose after installing it.

My neighbor is running into the same problem on a Honda Accord 1996. He found a crankshaft holding tool on the internet and received it. The Darn bolt still will not come off. I added a four foot long breaker bar and broke the swivel on the breaker bar. You know I think people are nuts putting something on that tight or are using red loctite which is a dumb thing. You should only use blue loctite. Red is for permanent installations. apparently many mechanics dont understand this. My 250 foot lb air wrench wont break it either. I sure hope it is not left hand threaded. Funny the Lexus is the same way. What is with that?

Success!! I got the Tool from the ebay shop and it worked like a charm, thanks for all your help, the car couldn't start so I couldn't use the force from trying to crank the car to break it loose but I think that method would also work--good tip gserep1. If you are in the NY area, I'll gladly rent you the Holding tool so you don't have to buy it like I did, just send me a pm and we'll hook something up...thanks again for the responses...D