Rx300 Changing Gears Engine Shut-off

LexKid630

My rx300 was having this problem several times today:

When ever i went from Reverse into Drive, the engine would just die. I would be backing out of a parking space etc. (not fully stopping) putting it in Drive, and the engine would just die. It's happened 3 out of the 4 times i've backed up today.

I have always backed up/driven like this (not stopping 100%) and nothing bad has ever happened. Does anyone know what it could be? Is it related? I don't think it's related to the "non stopping shifting" because i've been driving Rx300's since 1999 & never had a problem.

I just hope it's not the transmission going out :unsure: I don't have a need to drive the Rx300 for another week so i won't call the dealer about it until I find out more here.

Thanks!

2003 AWD 58k miles

sounds dangerous...no idea, but i would just like to throw out there that i dont completely stop before chaning from R to D and the car does shutter a little. The manual says to fully stop...but its much cooler this way

Those of you who do not come to a complete stop before shifting from drive to reverse or reverse to drive are simply asking for transmission failure, and not just in these weak-trannied RXs either....

Man, how stupid can you be....

sounds dangerous...no idea, but i would just like to throw out there that i dont completely stop before chaning from R to D and the car does shutter a little. The manual says to fully stop...but its much cooler this way

LOL I don't think anyone fuly stops between R and D; stopping takes too much time :lol:

Sometimes if i go into D too quickly it'll jerk a little, but that doesn't happen often. Just as long as you're going "slow" it's pretty smooth ;)

For some reason i think someone's gonna say it's bad to do that! :whistles:

I fully stop when going from D to R, but R to D i dont...because of the neutral...its the middle man. sometimes, if im going faster than a roll, i shift in to N a little earlier and then let the car roll, and then shift it into D as i get to where i want to...usually on a roll...mainly for two reasons-

1) if someones waiting for me to back out, i dont want to act like a grandpa and stop fully and take 5 minutes to leave the space and

2) because seriously, as lexkid said, it does take too much time out of my life

Ive never had any tranny problems in any of my cars...one of which is the famous Rx300 AWD

Well i just turned on the rx300, put it in Drive after being off for the night, pressed on the gas, and it's acting like it's in neutral!!!

What the heck does this mean? Is the transmission going dead??

I HATE THIS THING!

Well i just turned on the rx300, put it in Drive after being off for the night, pressed on the gas, and it's acting like it's in neutral!!!

I HATE THIS THING!

The engine shutting off...I would have said I don't think it is your tranny...but now that you are saying that it is acting like it is in neutral while in drive well sounds like tranny to me. I have had the same thing happen on a ford drive seems just like neutral. Sorry to hear about the bad Luck LEXKID...by the way my wife and I always argue about this very same thing...she never stops when backing up...I always do! I keep telling her that it is not good on the car???

I HATE THIS THING!

The engine shutting off...I would have said I don't think it is your tranny...but now that you are saying that it is acting like it is in neutral while in drive well sounds like tranny to me. I have had the same thing happen on a ford drive seems just like neutral. Sorry to hear about the bad Luck LEXKID...by the way my wife and I always argue about this very same thing...she never stops when backing up...I always do! I keep telling her that it is not good on the car???

This is our THIRD Rx300, & the third that has shown transmission problems! The 99's tranny died, my 2002 was showing some other signs of a bad transmission, & now this 2003 is doing this now...

I really don't feel like dumping it already, i love it too much; i just wish this thing would stop breaking!

I'm obviously doing something wrong, this is my third Rx that's had tranny problems.

I just checked the transmission fluid (kept it running for apx. 20 minutes) & it looks pretty red, doesn't have any kind of burning smell, but is a little low. I added ~ 1 qt. of the toyota type 4 fluid to top it off. Tok it around the block & seems to be working fine now?

Could being a little low on fluid (halfway b/t the COLD and HOT while sitting outside for 20 minutes) cause the problems i was having?

Thanks again :unsure:

Being low on transmission fluid could certainly be part of your problem, but until you learn NOT to shift between forward and reverse unless you've come to a full stop, you are your own worst enemy....

Look at your RX transmission history, for cryin' out loud - three different vehicles, and all three have exhibited transmission problems to some degree. If you've driven them all as carelessly as you say you have (not stopping before shifting), it's no damn wonder you can't keep your transmissions intact....

Learn from your mistakes....

LexKid, have all of your RX's been AWD? That could be part of the problem too. I'm not convinced yet that switching from R to D if your not at a full and complete stop is a trans killer all by itself. I've never ever once done that that I can remember (even with inlaws or grandma in the car), and I've never had an automatic tranny fail on me (~5 cars). Been through a few clutches on my manual cars but that's a different story. :)

Going from D to R while rolling I think is somewhat worse though.

In my mind, the way that the gates work in the shifter back me up on that. If it was fatal to the tranny, more automakers would put stops between neutral and drive in both directions.

Definitely sounds like some aspect of your driving is chewing up your trannies. You doin neutral drops and trying to lay rubber with all 4 tires? Manually downshifting? Holding gears to the redline? lol

It could also be transitions from ice to dry pavement if your wheels are spinning and lock up suddenly. I dont know. Just throwing out ideas.

Before I get crucified, I should clarify that I mean VERY SLOW rolling between R and D. If the tires chirp or the car shakes it's of course way too fast and obviously destructive.

You may have broken your engine mounts the intake hose may have also ripped or broken a wire.

ALWAYS make sure you stop fully before changing gears as well as using your parking brake by activating it with the car in neutral to make sure it is being held with the brake not the transmissions parking pall.

Check the intake accordian for a rip first.

Well have you filed your complaint with the NHTS board today? Sorry just a reminder. by the way folks I have received two more emails with failed RX300 Transmissions. I am now starting to log them and save them for the future. Lexus Sucks, when it comes to supporting the RX300. Anybody that buys a used one beware, you are on borrowed time.

Well it hasn't happened since i topped of the fluid, i'm guessing that was the problem :)

Checking transmission fluid is just one of the periodic checks that are absolutely required, but often ignored, for optimum performance and vehicle life. Did you ever pull up to a stoplight and notice another vehicle with one or more obviously low tires? Did you ever wonder how often that owner (could this be you?) changed out antifreeze and brake fluid? Both of those items should be replaced every two years but I know I have talked with folks who say "my antifreeze is still green, why do I need to change it?" Toyota/Lexus puts an item in their maintenance section of the owner's manual that gives periodic maintenance.

Ok, off my soapbox.

Gary

btw, despite my almost fanatical checking of fluids and pressure in my cars, my daughter routinely fails to check these things, even though I tell her she is putting MY grandson at risk.