Change Your 330 A/c Cabin Filter

Grumpa72

Hello to all. I had been looking at the "how to" web site for the 300 and decided to check my '05 330s cabin a/c filter. Well, first of all, the glove box is different than that on a 300 but I figured it had to be easy. Then I noticed that the glove box rotated on two pins that had black plastic heads on them. These heads looked suspiciously like grab points. Once I figured out which way to turn them (both turn towards the BACK of the car) I could then pull the hinge pin out of the key way slot in the glove box and the box just rotated almost completely out. I grabbed the a/c filter and it was black and filled with maple seeds. A quick soaking with Simple Green and a thorough rinsing returned it to light grey and I reinstalled.

Once I figured out how the hinge worked, I did the whole affair in under 15 minutes.

Gary

Hello to all. I had been looking at the "how to" web site for the 300 and decided to check my '05 330s cabin a/c filter. Well, first of all, the glove box is different than that on a 300 but I figured it had to be easy. Then I noticed that the glove box rotated on two pins that had black plastic heads on them. These heads looked suspiciously like grab points. Once I figured out which way to turn them (both turn towards the BACK of the car) I could then pull the hinge pin out of the key way slot in the glove box and the box just rotated almost completely out. I grabbed the a/c filter and it was black and filled with maple seeds. A quick soaking with Simple Green and a thorough rinsing returned it to light grey and I reinstalled.

Once I figured out how the hinge worked, I did the whole affair in under 15 minutes.

Gary

I also have an '05, how often should that filter be changed? Is it in the maintenance schedule? Lastly, for klutzes like myself, pictures would be helpful (e.g., of the pins on which the glove box rotates on). Thanks.

I also have an '05, how often should that filter be changed? Is it in the maintenance schedule? Lastly, for klutzes like myself, pictures would be helpful (e.g., of the pins on which the glove box rotates on). Thanks.

I think the schedule is in the Supplemental Owners manual. Sorry I didn't take pictures, but, honestly, once you open your glove box and look at the hinge piece, my description will be right on. The pins are the hinges.

Gary

Why would you wash the filter and reuse? It's gray color is from carbon in the material and all you're doing is reducing the filters ability to adsorb( not absorb) odors. Just replace it.

Why would you wash the filter and reuse? It's gray color is from carbon in the material and all you're doing is reducing the filters ability to adsorb( not absorb) odors. Just replace it.

Of course, you are ritght. Had I been planning on doing this, I would have replaced it. This was a spur of the moment kind of thing and I just cleaned it. I will say that the impregnated charcoal in the filter is inert and does NOT wash out. All you lose by reusing it is some of the absorprtion capabilities of the the charcoal.

Next time I am at the Lexus dealer I will buy a filter. In the mean time, I will just drive my car. ;)

Gary

The dealer replaced the cabin filter for my '04 RX at 15K and again at 30K per the maintenance schedule found in the Owner's Manual. Cost of the filter was about $41 each time. Now that I have bothered to look, I might look to see about finding a third party's cabin filter or different source to install myself. Anyone have any suggestions? I found a Bosch P3755 Cabin Air Filter, not sure it worth saving a few bucks if not an improvement, and Iron Toad has the OEM for about half the price:

Interior cabin a/c filter

Code:87139-YZZ03

Price: $24.00

In between changes, I would not hesitate to do what Grumpa72 did, washing it out or at least using an old toothbrush or vacuum to clean it, especially if my car was outside quite a bit and subject to pollen, leaves, etc. There are times during the year when my RX is green with pollen after being outside for only a few hours. Every little bit will help but eventually it should be replaced with new.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have the time and inclination and you are a tightwad, you can cut a 3M Filtrete filter to size. It is very close in thickness, at least for the ES300, ES330 and IS300 we have. I suspect that the RX is the same or close.

I bought the filter at home depot and was able to get several filters cut to size. I used masking tape on the cut edges. I am not going to even spend the $24 plus shipping irontoad price. $41 for the filter is pure pleasure --- for the dealership.

as rx330intpa said, they are not that expensive and if you go to the filter and get your oil changed as well...for me at least...they include it free of charge

If you are paying $200 for the 5000 mile service (glorified oil change) that the dealership does, then of course they throw in the cabin filter. Nothing wrong with that RX330, but for a tightwad like me, that is like scratching fingernails on a blackboard. I can do an oil change with Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil ($19 at Wal-mart for the 5 quart jug), Purolator Premium filter ($1 after PepBoys rebate which I have stockpiled), 3M Filtrete filter for the cabin ( a few dollar depending on how many filters you are able to cut out of one of those); total cost to me is under $30. I could use the 5 quart Havoline jugs that WalMart sells for about $9 and I could cut the service cost to under $15.

You can't get those screaming deals on filters anymore, but even irontoad sells the Denso oil filter for about $4.50 plus shipping.

Keep in mind that it is highly likely that the OEM filters have an anti-microbial chemical embedded in order to prevent the growth of mold and mildew spores within the dark, DAMP, and dank A/C evaporator plenum.

Keep in mind that it is highly likely that the OEM filters have an anti-microbial chemical embedded in order to prevent the growth of mold and mildew spores within the dark, DAMP, and dank A/C evaporator plenum.

I always like to hear what you have to say :whistles:

Yes my 330 is AWD :P

It might be, but the A/C filter for the RX300 is more of a screen than a filter. There might be fungcide impregnated in the A/C "screen" but I highly doubt it. Raise the A/C filter to the sun light you will see more holes than a swiss cheese, can someone explain to me how are fungus and micro-bateria get killed if most of them are passed through?

It might be, but the A/C filter for the RX300 is more of a screen than a filter. There might be fungcide impregnated in the A/C "screen" but I highly doubt it. Raise the A/C filter to the sun light you will see more holes than a swiss cheese, can someone explain to me how are fungus and micro-bateria get killed if most of them are passed through?

Think you misunderstand what wwest was saying...

The anti-microbial chemical embedded in the filter is not to kill fungus, etc. going into the cabin, but instead from growing on the filter itself. With all that garbage coming in from outside sticking to the filter, the big bits that will actually collect in the filter, you do not want it to become the big stinky sponge next to the sink.

That may well be...

But its also possible that like the oil on a K&N filter contaminating the MAF/IAT sensor, the anti-microbial chemical slowly wicks off and attaches to the "downstream" evaporator vanes where the microbes tend to breed.

Sounds like a Raid Ant Bait commercial. If I have a choice I would prefer active carbon filter material that get rid of diesel fume smell and do some real filter work: block those fine dust particles. I check A/C filter twice a year and never see any moisure on mine. No right or wrong, just personal preference.

• 6 months later...

Maybe OEM's are treated ... maybe even probably. Even if you want to presume there 'may' be anti-microbal chemicals, you can buy the anti-microbal stuff in aerosol form (which will last for dozens of filter changes) on several web sites, or your local auto parts house, then go buy the filter material from home depot (which knocks the cost down to about $7 per 'serving' for us). But if you go down to the dealer for air filter replacement only? Get ready to pay way more than you have to.

• 10 months later...

Maybe OEM's are treated ... maybe even probably. Even if you want to presume there 'may' be anti-microbal chemicals, you can buy the anti-microbal stuff in aerosol form (which will last for dozens of filter changes) on several web sites, or your local auto parts house, then go buy the filter material from home depot (which knocks the cost down to about $7 per 'serving' for us). But if you go down to the dealer for air filter replacement only? Get ready to pay way more than you have to.

I checked my recently purchased RX300 1999 s Cabin Filter yesterday and it was almost totally blocked.

All gunked up... I am surprised that anything could get through it...

I used the vacum cleaner on it using the brush attachement. I could see through it when done.

I agree that the OEM filter for the 1999 RX300 is not very fine filtering... not HEPA.

The cleaning seemed to improve the operations of the entire Climate Control... Definitely more air flow.

Then today I went to Lexus to confirm that mine was OEM. It was.

and also found they wanted $38 for one and said I would be back.

Went to Auto Zone and picked up a Bosch for $15. Bosch makes good products and I trust them for good design.

i.e., good filtering and not resticting air flow even as the filter gets reasonably dirty.

Bosch's has many more according pleats (at least twice as many) and hence more surface area.

This explains why it can have a "finer" spacing on the fibers and still not restrict the air flow.

[[think this is a concern if you are just cutting up any filter and putting it in the tray.]]

The Bosch did not seal on the edges the same as OEM... I think I might use a little Scotch tape, but it may be over kill.

Anyway I turned the FAN to HIGH on with both filters, and could not notice any appreciable air flow

differences with my hand... but this is subjective.

It is a two minute job once you've done it once.

I checked my recently purchased RX300 1999 s Cabin Filter yesterday and it was almost totally blocked.

All gunked up... I am surprised that anything could get through it...

I used the vacum cleaner on it using the brush attachement. I could see through it when done.

I agree that the OEM filter for the 1999 RX300 is not very fine filtering... not HEPA.

The cleaning seemed to improve the operations of the entire Climate Control... Definitely more air flow.

Then today I went to Lexus to confirm that mine was OEM. It was.

and also found they wanted $38 for one and said I would be back.

Went to Auto Zone and picked up a Bosch for $15. Bosch makes good products and I trust them for good design.

i.e., good filtering and not resticting air flow even as the filter gets reasonably dirty.

Bosch's has many more according pleats (at least twice as many) and hence more surface area.

This explains why it can have a "finer" spacing on the fibers and still not restrict the air flow.

[[think this is a concern if you are just cutting up any filter and putting it in the tray.]]

The Bosch did not seal on the edges the same as OEM... I think I might use a little Scotch tape, but it may be over kill.

Anyway I turned the FAN to HIGH on with both filters, and could not notice any appreciable air flow

differences with my hand... but this is subjective.

It is a two minute job once you've done it once.

This is a followup on my yesterday's post...

OK to WASH and HAND DRY OEM FILTER:

After I installed the new Bosch cabin filter; and having previously vacumed and brushed the old OEM Filter.

I thought I had nothing to loose so I would try and WASH the old OEM filter.

I had been reluctent to try this until I read that it was a synthetic fiber and that others had washed it with no harm.

[[i had thought the filter material when wet, might get soft and tear/stretch or some how loose it's wallful creases.]]

Anyway it washed really well... I used Lysol spray cleaner and dishwashing soap.

Also squished it repeatedly with my hands in the kitchen sink... this cleaned it... it took awhile for the soap to penetrate and get the dirt out.

The vigorous squishing did not harm the fabric or the waffles at all.

I then did a Warm water spray rinse. I did it first in the opposite direction of the air flow. Bottom

Others have mentioned leaving it to "air dry" pvernight.

I pressed it between parts of an old TOWEL three times. No harm to the filter material or wafflels.

It was almost totally dry. (I could have used paper towels.)

Had I not already installed the Bosch filter;I could have reinstalled the cleaned OEM filter immediately.

I takes less time to check your air filter and clean it than changing a ceiling light bulb.

It is Green and conserves materials. It saves you time and money to do it your self.

and you get to be the judge of just how clean you want it to be.

In my opinion, It is a waste of your time and gas to drive your car to the dealer to have this checked and done.

On a routine maintenance service; I would not think that many dealers even check this if you do not remember and specify that it be done.

(( I did hear that Jiffy Lube charges $ 65 to do this. Some cars it is a 1/2 hour job and they make no distinctions on car make for a cabin filter relacement.))

Roger

ps: Based on what I saw, the Bosch cabin filter would filter out smaller particles than the Lexus OEM cabin filter and keep your cabin and air/conditioning fins cleaner than the OEM.

I had my 2005 in for some scheduled maintenance and they called to let me know the cabin filter 'was pretty dirty'. They quoted me $65 to replace it. Yikes.

Fortunately, based on information from this thread, I had purchased the Bosch filter yesterday for $15. I'll put it in tonight and save myself 50 bucks.