Broken Damaged Wheel Locks

I recently had my key break off when trying to remove a wheel lock. So I called the dealer like I had done on a previous occassion. The Lexus dealer wanted to charge $50 to take off the remaining three I had on the car. I was rotating my tires and it broke off when I was 3/4 finished the job. So I followed someone's info in another forum I think it was the LS forum.

If you have a broken wheel lock, take a 12 point 19mm socket and use a hammer to force the socket onto the wheel lock. It takes a while on the first wheel lock to finally get it to fit good so it doesn't move when you try to turn it. Once you have your 12 point 19mm socket on there snug it shouldn't rotate around the wheel lock. If it does you dont have it on there far enough down on the wheel lock. If it does turn then place the socket onto the wheel lock again and re-attempt. 19mm 12 point socket is the perfect size to do the job. Just wanted to post this so nobody thinks they have to spend the money to have these taken off at a shop. You will have to replace your 19mm 12 point socket though. Toyota was a little more reasonable and only wanted $18 to remove them.

If I was a dealer I would do it for free since its so easy. Not sure if they use the same method. But $50.00 to remove them seems crazy. :chairshot: (Takes about 2 minutes per wheel if your quick.)

damn the Stealership it will take them 5 seconds to do...same thing happened to me but i had only 1 wheel lock to get off i used the socket and hammer method...works, but i think people shouldnt be such douche bags and help a guy out. it will take them 90 seconds to do all 4 wheels...cry'n shame

i had that happen once just but i thought i lost the key so i bought new locks and they installed for free..kinda different story i guess...do you have the card with the key number? you can get a replacement if you do. and 50 bucks to take lugs off is a rip off!!! they have the master key set. they dont bother looking for the key in your car where ever it may be!.

There is a type of universal key out there. It's similar to the gator socket wrench.

BTW where in MD are you? PM me; perhaps I can help.

There is a type of universal key out there. It's similar to the gator socket wrench.

BTW where in MD are you? PM me; perhaps I can help.

I was just posting this for other people if they ever need to find the info on the forum. I have already removed the wheel locks using the method described above. But, thanks for the offer anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have a broken wheel lock, take a 12 point 19mm socket and use a hammer to force the socket onto the wheel lock. It takes a while on the first wheel lock to finally get it to fit good so it doesn't move when you try to turn it. Once you have your 12 point 19mm socket on there snug it shouldn't rotate around the wheel lock. If it does you dont have it on there far enough down on the wheel lock. If it does turn then place the socket onto the wheel lock again and re-attempt. 19mm 12 point socket is the perfect size to do the job. Just wanted to post this so nobody thinks they have to spend the money to have these taken off at a shop. You will have to replace your 19mm 12 point socket though.

I just had to use this method on my LS400 today and it worked perfectly!!!

Thanks for the tip!!

If you have a broken wheel lock, take a 12 point 19mm socket and use a hammer to force the socket onto the wheel lock. It takes a while on the first wheel lock to finally get it to fit good so it doesn't move when you try to turn it. Once you have your 12 point 19mm socket on there snug it shouldn't rotate around the wheel lock. If it does you dont have it on there far enough down on the wheel lock. If it does turn then place the socket onto the wheel lock again and re-attempt. 19mm 12 point socket is the perfect size to do the job. Just wanted to post this so nobody thinks they have to spend the money to have these taken off at a shop. You will have to replace your 19mm 12 point socket though.

I just had to use this method on my LS400 today and it worked perfectly!!!

Thanks for the tip!!

Glad to hear. ;)

• 2 months later...

I just flat out stopped using wheel locks on mine and my wife's car. We keep our cars garaged and the places we work have pretty low crime. Not to mention, I really don't think my stock silver finish wheels are in any danger at all of being lifted.

I've had way to many issues trying to get super-tight lugs off both our cars after new wheels were put on at a tire shop or work was done at a stealership - both of which have fellas that like to go absolutely insane with the pneumatic drills to make the lugs so tight they NEVER come off - except at the hands of a freakin' gorilla.

Never had a key break, but definately have spent more than 10 minutes on one single wheel lock trying everything from a blow-torch to WD-40 to get it off. Can't stand how those things just keep slipping out of the socket whenever you've got a really tight lug.

I believe they cannot just sell you the key. I had to buy a whole new set of wheel locks which included a new key for that set of locking lug nuts. If I were you, I would just remove the locking lug nuts on all four wheels and then just buy regular lug nuts from the dealer. Locking lug nuts can be more of a hassle than auctually doing any good. Just my opinion. As long as you dont think that someone will steal your wheels. At the beginning of this post is a pretty good way to get the old locking lugs off if you no longer have the key.

I believe they cannot just sell you the key. I had to buy a whole new set of wheel locks which included a new key for that set of locking lug nuts. If I were you, I would just remove the locking lug nuts on all four wheels and then just buy regular lug nuts from the dealer. Locking lug nuts can be more of a hassle than auctually doing any good. Just my opinion. As long as you dont think that someone will steal your wheels. At the beginning of this post is a pretty good way to get the old locking lugs off if you no longer have the key.

Thank you.

There's a better chance of me being hit by lightning than someone trying to steal my wheels.

You can get the key seperate but there are about 12 different ones.If you stop by the Dealership they would be able to order you one.If you don't like Dealerships the locks are made by Mcgard so you should be able to locate someone that sells Mcgard locks or they have a 1-800 number to order from also.