My Impressions Of The 2005 Rx330

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

I dropped my 1993 LS400 off at the Lexus dealer last Monday - and have been driving a 2005 Lexus RX330 'Courtesy Car' ever since. [probably picking up MY car on Monday - but who knows] I just thought I'd share a few of my opinions on the RX330.

At first - I wasn't sure I liked the colour. It's a very light metallic blue with light grey leather. But NOW that's probably the colour combination I'd get if I were ever to buy one. It has sort of a nautical look to it. It looks clean even though it's not. [if that makes sense] It doesn't have the navigation thing but it does have the wood steering wheel and HID headlights. [which would make Preston Tucker proud - no doubt - in how they turn with the wheels] It's surprisingly powerful. But I have to admit it feels somewhat like a turbo-charged engine with 'turbo-lag'. The power REALLY comes on strong after it revs past 4,000 RPM's or so. The transmission has that hesitation I've heard most of you talk about. It almost feels as though the thing that retards the timing [to smooth out the shifts] is TAKING its time. But I don't find it all that annoying - to be honest. The stereo is very nice - even though its not the Mark Levinson. And there's plenty of headroom - both front AND back. [being 6'3" tall - I notice things like that] At first - I thought it was a bit bouncy - but I guess I'm used to it now because I think it handles nicely. The steering is great. Just the right amount of 'assist'. And there's nothing quite like the FEEL of wood on a wheel. I love that - it's just SO luxurious!! I also love how the 'LEXUS' in the door sills light up AND those little lights that help you find the inside door handles. [i love stuff like that] Not sure about the wood on the doors and center consoles - though. It looks nice - but is that 'real wood'? It doesn't match the wood on the steering wheel so I was wondering.

If I were to buy one - I'd get one that's exactly the same as the one I'm driving. Although I'd prefer the RX350 version. [because there's no such thing as having too much power!!]

To be honest - I'm NOT looking forward to getting my LS back.

Keep on enjoying your RX's. I've enjoyed 'mine' now for almost a week.

Craig!! :)

I had a 2004 rx330 for a while, a wonderful car! No problems at all.

I also have a 2005 rx330 as a loaner now, since they are having trouble fixing my rx300 :(

The wood in the interior of the rx330's IS fake. The only real wood is on the shifter knob and steering wheel. It does take away from the true luxury feel...

lol not the wood argument again. Nobody actually knows if its real or fake and we keep arguing about it. im not saying it is wood and im not saying it isnt, but its a shame if it isnt, after all it is a lexus.

I love my car, more everyday. When i first got it, i loved the illuminated door sills and the illuminated door lever opener. Honestly, i have never reved it past 4,000 rpm, because lets face it, it is my car. lol, but there is a surprising amount of power for a 230 hp car that ways 2 tons+. Enjoy it while you have it.

THe loaner Rx330's that i have gotten obviously dont have the nav, which i feel doesnt do justice to how nice the car is. Maybe its because i have a nav, but not to put down people who dont have it, i dont like how the emgergency stop button is so large, nor do i like the layout as much. happy driving!

I had my '02 RX300 in the shop for the 50k mile checkup 2 weeks ago, and got a 2006 Lexus RX400h as a loaner.... with Navigation. It was AMAZING and I was really upset when they called me to get my car back..

And there's plenty of headroom - both front AND back. [being 6'3" tall - I notice things like that]
Hey Craig! ;) How was the legroom? Better or worse than your LS? I'm hoping that Lexus will build a car to accomidate us folks 6'1 on up one day (I'm 6'4). Are they still trying to figure out the problem with your car being too slow?

Well, I'll go against the [possibly fake] wood grain.

I had an RX330 last week as a loaner. I actually liked my '01 RX300 better.

1. I felt like I was driving a pickup with a shell on it whenever I backed it up. Small sideview mirrors (with the tilt feature I didn't care for) didn't help the small windows on the sides of the back compartment. I couldn't see if anyone was coming when backing out of a parking spot.

2. This is small and subjective, but I didn't really care much for the general ergonomics for the driver. I dont like when the center console has buttons that face the passenger. I also liked the way my door controls slope up in my RX300 better than how they are horizontal in the '330. The controls generally didn't seem as intuitive in the '330 as they were when I first got in my '300.

These are just my quick takes on my one 75 mile day in the RX330. I still think it's a good car, and they unarguably look better than the '300's. And of course I only had it for one day--it may have grown on me. It just didn't "fit" the way my '300 did right off the bat.

Also, I should say that there may be some freudian subconscious aversion to it because my wife wants one desperately and I dont want to spend the money for it! lol

Well, I'll go against the [possibly fake] wood grain.

I had an RX330 last week as a loaner. I actually liked my '01 RX300 better.

1. I felt like I was driving a pickup with a shell on it whenever I backed it up. Small sideview mirrors (with the tilt feature I didn't care for) didn't help the small windows on the sides of the back compartment. I couldn't see if anyone was coming when backing out of a parking spot.

2. This is small and subjective, but I didn't really care much for the general ergonomics for the driver. I dont like when the center console has buttons that face the passenger. I also liked the way my door controls slope up in my RX300 better than how they are horizontal in the '330. The controls generally didn't seem as intuitive in the '330 as they were when I first got in my '300.

These are just my quick takes on my one 75 mile day in the RX330. I still think it's a good car, and they unarguably look better than the '300's. And of course I only had it for one day--it may have grown on me. It just didn't "fit" the way my '300 did right off the bat.

Also, I should say that there may be some freudian subconscious aversion to it because my wife wants one desperately and I dont want to spend the money for it! lol

The RX300 had less bilnd spots when looking back. The Rx330/350/400h has that big ol piece of metal sloping down the back, which reduces visibility looking back. Although, the RX330 has a better turning radius than the RX300 for sure. There are times that when making a u-turn with the RX300, you'd have to back up to avoid hitting the curb. It was really bad with the RX300. The RX330 has a much more better turning radius.

I had a 2004 rx330 for a while, a wonderful car! No problems at all.

I also have a 2005 rx330 as a loaner now, since they are having trouble fixing my rx300 :(

The wood in the interior of the rx330's IS fake. The only real wood is on the shifter knob and steering wheel. It does take away from the true luxury feel...

LOL, no its not. And yes, I KNOW its real because I've seen the peices and I've talked to Lexus about it.

sigh lets consolidate the wood arguement to one topic.

anyways, RX 4 Surfin, the rear visability...answer= get the backup camera

the dash also does not face the passenger its actually center, UNLIKE the new ES350. If you sit in the middle seat in the back, you can notice that the dash is tilted slightly to the passenger, but not on the RX

as for turning radius, there were times when i wanted to kill my rx300 because i was blocking traffic with my u-turn. I was constantly hitting my steering wheel. lol problem solved now

And there's plenty of headroom - both front AND back. [being 6'3" tall - I notice things like that]
Hey Craig! ;) How was the legroom? Better or worse than your LS? I'm hoping that Lexus will build a car to accomidate us folks 6'1 on up one day (I'm 6'4). Are they still trying to figure out the problem with your car being too slow?

Hi blake918!! :)

I hope you're OK. Thanks for the reply.

Legroom wise - the RX330 is about the same up front as my '93 LS [although it's kinda hard to tell for sure because you're sitting far more upright in the RX] and little bit more in the back. Quite a bit more in both - of course - if you're not sitting behind a behemoth like ME!! Because headroom is tight in my LS - I have to recline the seat back quite a bit in order to clear my head. That robs even more room from the guy behind me. Then again - no one's ever been in the back seat of my car [well... not since I've owned it at least] so what do I care!! lol

As for how my LS is doing - I'll be posting an update on my 'please help me with this' message. [i think that's what I called it]

But I have to admit it feels somewhat like a turbo-charged engine with 'turbo-lag'. The power REALLY comes on strong after it revs past 4,000 RPM's or so. The transmission has that hesitation I've heard most of you talk about. It almost feels as though the thing that retards the timing [to smooth out the shifts] is TAKING its time.

Oh my, the transmission hestiation has made it from RX300, RX330, and now in RX350. That "turbo lag" is a gear that engages late and got slammed @ 4000 RPMs.

A quick search of this forum yields RX owners complain about this "feature"'s being unsafe and nearly accident causing. Many owners link it directly to questionable liability of the transmission, which is the second most expensive component to repair on a RX.

Craig drives the RX350 as a loaner, but I am curious for existing or potential RX owners here, why are you concerned about wood and legroom when you can be rear ended by a truck from behind and got stuck with a $5000 tranny repair bill shortly after powertrain expires? Aren't safety and $5000 out of pocket experience more important than "look and feel"?

Hi TunedRX300!! :)

Just to clarify - the 'loaner' [the RX I drove] was a RX330 and NOT the RX350. From what I hear - the RX350 uses a SUPER ECT transmission computer. So maybe the transmission problems are NOW a thing of the past. [but I'm only guessing]

I've had my 05 RX330 for just over a year now, and while it's not what I'd call a fun or exciting car to drive, it is extremely luxurious and reliable. No problems whatsoever. This car has every single option that was available except for the rear seat DVD. Like others have said, there is quite a blind spot from the rear pillars, but the backup camera does help. Overall, I'm very happy with it. And I've never had it over 4000 rpm either!

• 2 years later...

I'm also coming from an RX300 (2001) to a 2005 RX330. Even tough is a better looking vehicle I must say I liked the RX300 better. The quality of the RX330 is not that great. The dash rattles, water gets inside the lights, the whole car feels like a pick up truck, the center console doesn't have any use, the combination air conditioning navigation system is kind of weird when it already has the A/C buttons on the dash, the wood on the steering wheel becomes annoying on long trips and many more. Honestly not impressed. But maybe it's just me. Anyhow you may want to stay away from the vin number that doesn't start with a J. Mine starts with 2 and is made in Canada.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys!! :)

I dropped my 1993 LS400 off at the Lexus dealer last Monday - and have been driving a 2005 Lexus RX330 'Courtesy Car' ever since. [probably picking up MY car on Monday - but who knows] I just thought I'd share a few of my opinions on the RX330.

At first - I wasn't sure I liked the colour. It's a very light metallic blue with light grey leather. But NOW that's probably the colour combination I'd get if I were ever to buy one. It has sort of a nautical look to it. It looks clean even though it's not. [if that makes sense] It doesn't have the navigation thing but it does have the wood steering wheel and HID headlights. [which would make Preston Tucker proud - no doubt - in how they turn with the wheels] It's surprisingly powerful. But I have to admit it feels somewhat like a turbo-charged engine with 'turbo-lag'. The power REALLY comes on strong after it revs past 4,000 RPM's or so. The transmission has that hesitation I've heard most of you talk about. It almost feels as though the thing that retards the timing [to smooth out the shifts] is TAKING its time. But I don't find it all that annoying - to be honest. The stereo is very nice - even though its not the Mark Levinson. And there's plenty of headroom - both front AND back. [being 6'3" tall - I notice things like that] At first - I thought it was a bit bouncy - but I guess I'm used to it now because I think it handles nicely. The steering is great. Just the right amount of 'assist'. And there's nothing quite like the FEEL of wood on a wheel. I love that - it's just SO luxurious!! I also love how the 'LEXUS' in the door sills light up AND those little lights that help you find the inside door handles. [i love stuff like that] Not sure about the wood on the doors and center consoles - though. It looks nice - but is that 'real wood'? It doesn't match the wood on the steering wheel so I was wondering.

If I were to buy one - I'd get one that's exactly the same as the one I'm driving. Although I'd prefer the RX350 version. [because there's no such thing as having too much power!!]

To be honest - I'm NOT looking forward to getting my LS back.

Keep on enjoying your RX's. I've enjoyed 'mine' now for almost a week.

Thank you for all these beautiful informations. But I have just opposite experience. I bought a 2003 RX300 last year - I do not know why previous owner sold the car. Since I bought the car it is giving me all the problem of the world. Battery problem, alternator problem, door sensor problem, amplifier problem, drinks lots of gas, parts are expensive, labour - let's not talk about it. I do not anymore believe it is one of the best car! At least not the my one. I would not suggest anybody to buy this type of car at all. I wish I could dispose it off and buy a much cheaper yet without continuous problem vehicle. I have three cars - one of them is 1999 Chrysler Van which I am driving since 2002 but believe me it has never given me single problem till now. Yet another one Honda Accord 1999 - I bought in Jan 2005 and it is such a beautiful car and it has never given me a problem either.

Another very very annoying thing - no matter whatever the problem is - the genius mechanics make lot of guess repair and takes lots of money where the actual problem still persists. What is this?? Everybody has limited income except the auto repair shops.

My latest problem is amplifier short/ground (probably); that's what Toyota says, new one costs $1400, can you believe it. Everybody in the modern era is a money sucker. They make billions in a quarter, travel in concord and we the poor!!! Another latest problem door sensor - "door open light always on" - and every now and then makes beep sound - funny. I feel like a fool behind the wheel! Any suggestion?