How Far Past "e" Can You Go?

I'm curious just how far past "E" on the fuel gauge you can go. I'm usually running late in the mornings and it takes me forever to get to work in the mornings, so I can't always stop. I know the simple answer is to fill up before, but I am still curious. I've had the needle just below the last bar on the gauge.

From my experience, it's approximately around 30-50 miles after the low fuel light comes on before the gas tank runs dry, and the car starts to decelerate ;)

I don't think it's a good idea to let your tank get so low. I try to refill when my tank reads ¼, otherwise it'll pick up alot of crap in the tank. ;)

Depends on the car. The vast majority of them will go a long !Removed! way once they've hit E. The 92-01's have an 18.5 gallon tank - not including the fuel outside of the tank. Most people I've found with ES/Camry's tend to fill at 14-15-16 gallons. So you're looking at, *atleast* another safe 40 miles if you're filling up with 16 gallons. 350-400 miles for most people. Depends on how ya drive.

But it's an easy question to answer. Take your average mpg & how many gallons you put in it VS the capacity of the tank.

From my experience, it's approximately around 30-50 miles after the low fuel light comes on before the gas tank runs dry, and the car starts to decelerate ;)

I don't think it's a good idea to let your tank get so low. I try to refill when my tank reads ¼, otherwise it'll pick up alot of crap in the tank. ;)

Of course it's not a good idea Al :rolleyes: A couple of times I literally ran out of gas while on the road, both times as I was actually exiting off the highway to get gas. Now I just fill up when the fuel gauge goes to around the ballpark of 1/4.

What gunk in the tank? The pickup is a pre-filtered baffle at the bottom of the tank. Even if it wasn't filtered - it'd pick up just as much trash either way. It's gonna settle to the bottom regardless of the fluid level. ;)

Just fill up when you want & do the math so you know around abouts how far you can go if you get in a pinch.

I was always told that the fuel in the tank acts as a cooling mechanism for the fuel pump, too.

Therefore it is best if the fuel pump is always immersed, hence, not letting the tank go below a quarter.

steviej

The pre-filter at the bottom of the tank keeps the trash out of the system - which is why lexus/toyota/scion fuel filters last so long.

The fuel pumps are not submerged ever AFAIK. They are located at the very top of the tank, on the underside of a hatch to make access avalible without dropping the tank. (By removing the trunk/back seat).

perhaps the question should have been: "how accurate is the fuel gauge?" :)

I had an old car that had an extremely dodgy fuel gauge, but the low fuel light worked. So, I set out with a jerry can full of juice and ran the thing around until the light came on. Then I set the trip meter to zero and carried on until the thing ran out of fuel. Made a note of the mileage and bunged in the juice from the jerry can. I then went straight to the garage and filled-up. From this I got reliable figures for how far I could travel after the light came on, and also for the caoacity of the tank. The figures in owners manuals aren't always particularly accurate.

I agree with you guys though: it's not a good idea to let it get that low too often.