First Service/recall

Hey I recently got the recall letter for the seatbelt on my IS, so I made an appointment to get that fixed, and also to get my 5,000 mile service. Which brings me to my question, whenever you get your oil changed they always give you a date and a milage and they say: Next oil change due at (insert date here) OR (insert milage number here) Now does the date really make a difference? I was always told that the milage is what matter because oil gets old because of use, so why the date? Is that really important? Iam over my 4 months from purchase it will almost be seven months from purchse but Iam only at like 3,400 or 3,000 something. So Iam under my milage (5,000) Either way does the time REALLY make a difference?

Thanks for the answers, it's much appreciated!!

Hey I recently got the recall letter for the seatbelt on my IS, so I made an appointment to get that fixed, and also to get my 5,000 mile service. Which brings me to my question, whenever you get your oil changed they always give you a date and a milage and they say: Next oil change due at (insert date here) OR (insert milage number here) Now does the date really make a difference? I was always told that the milage is what matter because oil gets old because of use, so why the date? Is that really important? Iam over my 4 months from purchase it will almost be seven months from purchse but Iam only at like 3,400 or 3,000 something. So Iam under my milage (5,000) Either way does the time REALLY make a difference?

Thanks for the answers, it's much appreciated!!

Yes, oil does break down over time. I would do what Lexus recommends to avoid any potential warranty issues later on.

okay, ive been going to a lexus dealership for about 7 years now so heres how they do it, though im never under milage, always over. Dont make an appointment if your undermilage by a lot but the date is there. after about 2-3 months after the date, then go to the dealership, or if ur milage comes up before then. If you go to the website, you will be able to see the service schedule for your car, which says if you dont drive it that much, 7,500 mile intervals would be better instead of 5K. let me go find that site...(opens new window)

ok its 6 months, instead of 4, and 7.5K instead of 5K.

http://owners.lexus.com/lexusowners/nonaut...SchedulePreview

OTOH if low mileage is due to many short trips and not much highway driving, it would be considered severe service and should be on the lower mileage/time schedule. Cars that never get fully warmed up, sit around alot, etc can still have contaminant build up, moisture, etc in the oil, which may be more detrimental than lots of highway miles. I go by the 6 months service always if I don't get the miles. It isn't expensive and it's good "insurance". You don't have to pay Lexus prices just for oil and filter changes. I think it's especially important if this is your first service since breaking in your motor.

OTOH if low mileage is due to many short trips and not much highway driving, it would be considered severe service and should be on the lower mileage/time schedule. Cars that never get fully warmed up, sit around alot, etc can still have contaminant build up, moisture, etc in the oil, which may be more detrimental than lots of highway miles. I go by the 6 months service always if I don't get the miles. It isn't expensive and it's good "insurance". You don't have to pay Lexus prices just for oil and filter changes. I think it's especially important if this is your first service since breaking in your motor.

I have 17,000 miles on my car, and I've only had it 9 months. I do what Lexus suggests..........