No Keys At All!

I know that this has been covered, I've read about the vehicle immobilizer program available from the dealership, one problem--I'm the second owner of a GS that has a salvage title and the previous owner provided no keys, not even a valet key for the car. I've read about the programming but without a master key, your done. Service manager at the local dealership told me that I can get someone to open up the current ecu and find out the code and match up a new master key which would cost much less the dealership new ecu and key program which runs about $1400.00. So I'm on the search for such a place in the NY area. Anyone have any links to such a place I'd greatly appreciate it...thanks for your time...

im confused...how do you buy a car without the keys...how did you get it to your house? lol

you put it on a flatbed or tow it...doors are open, car needs some fixing so no keys is just one of the projects I have to work on...

I know that this has been covered, I've read about the vehicle immobilizer program available from the dealership, one problem--I'm the second owner of a GS that has a salvage title and the previous owner provided no keys, not even a valet key for the car. I've read about the programming but without a master key, your done. Service manager at the local dealership told me that I can get someone to open up the current ecu and find out the code and match up a new master key which would cost much less the dealership new ecu and key program which runs about $1400.00. So I'm on the search for such a place in the NY area. Anyone have any links to such a place I'd greatly appreciate it...thanks for your time...

I wish I could help you. I just paid $226 for just the key. I only got one. I have a silver with gray 2002 Sport Design, and would like to know. Do you have the black wood trim, and is the shift knob black? Mine came with a dark walnut knob. Tried to run down the original, but no luck. Wrote the original owner to see if I could get a key. No answer. I would register the car with Lexus of America. They won't give you anything even if it is still in warranty, because of the salvage title, but they are very friendly, and have sent me manuals free for my GS 300 and my wifes LS 400 when I bought them used. FREE. They really value their customers. No I don't work for them. Just like the cars. Wish I could be more help. Ken

I wish I could help you. I just paid $226 for just the key. I only got one. I have a silver with gray 2002 Sport Design, and would like to know. Do you have the black wood trim, and is the shift knob black? Mine came with a dark walnut knob. Tried to run down the original, but no luck. Wrote the original owner to see if I could get a key. No answer. I would register the car with Lexus of America. They won't give you anything even if it is still in warranty, because of the salvage title, but they are very friendly, and have sent me manuals free for my GS 300 and my wifes LS 400 when I bought them used. FREE. They really value their customers. No I don't work for them. Just like the cars. Wish I could be more help. Ken

I have the black on black also but the shift knob was stolen at auction...that's how valuable they are!! Dealership told me shift knob alone is $400.00!!! I'll be checking out resellers to find one but I doubt i'll find an original. I might do a dash trim kit anyway to lighten up the interior...do your find the black on black is too dark or do you like the look. I think I'm screwed on the key situation, but I'm definitely NOT paying dealership price, I'm on the hunt for a reprogrammer and I will find one I'm sure...thanks for the tip about the manuals...D

Contact TAP.

There was one on ebay with no body panels also.

Thanks for the respons, I'm actually drawing a blank on the acronym "TAP" so if you could fill me in that would be great..thanks again...D

Dang, car with no keys! I'd call Lexus Corporate requesting a free ECU; don't volunteer to much info, just give them what they ask for (VIN, Year, Name). No point having a car with no keys, whether it be Lexus or Bentely. Definitely agree with the above comments regarding how courteous and kind their reps are. Never hurts to try...

I have the black on black also but the shift knob was stolen at auction...that's how valuable they are!! Dealership told me shift knob alone is $400.00!!! I'll be checking out resellers to find one but I doubt i'll find an original. I might do a dash trim kit anyway to lighten up the interior...do your find the black on black is too dark or do you like the look. I think I'm screwed on the key situation, but I'm definitely NOT paying dealership price, I'm on the hunt for a reprogrammer and I will find one I'm sure...thanks for the tip about the manuals...D

My car is Silver with Gray interior. I like the colors. I think the black wood is better than any other with the gray. My wifes car is White with Tan interior. Or biege, and her wood is medium Walnut I guess. A good combination for the colors. I saw shift knobs on Ebay for a $100, No black ones though. Ken

• 4 months later...

Hi everybody,

I recently purchased a 98 gs300 with one master key (only).... I know that i am screwed bigtime if I lose this key :cries: so I want to get another one ASAP (but not for the $300 w/ programming the dealer quoted me). I have seen several places online where I can get a master key w/remote and then program it myself... but I dont know if its a good idea.... I'm willing to buy the key online and even let the dealer program it if it will definitly work. Please help!!!

p.s.: im in school in Nashville, TN... if anyone knows a great local shop for the keys and just about anything else I may need. Thanks in advance :D

TRY WWW.TOY-LEX.COM

Hey Double striker,

I just ordered a key from street keys yesterday for $155. Do you by any chance know a really good body shop around Vandy? I need to have a fender replaced and painted :( ... I've gotten an estimate from Maaco, but I have heard some bad things.

• 3 weeks later...

Believe it or not.... i went forth with the maaco repairs to my 2 fenders and driverside quarter panel (yea... i was in bad shape). Much to my surprise, it looks damnnn good. I can't believe how well it came out. I couldn't bring myself to stare long enough to take any b4 pics, but I'll definitely take some after pics. Who knew that Macco in Nashville, TN would brighten my day :D :lol: :D :lol: