How Would You Handle This Situation?

branshew

I've been shopping around for another car as a daily driver. Even though the LS gets decent mileage for a V8, eight $65.00 fillups a month are starting to get to me so she'll soon be delegated to the weekends.

I found a nice '01 Audi A4 1.8t for sale. Only 50K miles, still under extended warranty to 100K or 1/07. All service records and all work done at Audi. The car is in excellent condition. I drove it today and would like to buy it, but there's a snag.

The guy selling it is going to Iraq in the middle of June as a civilian defense contractor and wants to keep the car until then. I don't need it right away so that's not a problem, but how do I go about handling the contract/financials? He seems like a nice honest guy - he fell all over himself pointing out every minor flaw (rock chip in the bumper, hairline scratch in the plastic trim, etc.), BUT since I don't know him - I really don't want to give him a substantial deposit and have something go wrong.

I am certain we could draft a contract that we could both agree on, but I don't want to get burned. I thought about having the car re-titled w/ a lien (me as the Lienholder), but I'm not sure he would agree to that.

Any thoughts?

Stay the hell away from any Audi.

They are like sirens of the mystic seas.

They are beautiful to look at but only will suck you dry of every penny and nerve from break down after break down.

Look at most used Audi ads and one thing is usually prominent. All owners who research what goes bad as most end up listing that they fixed all the usual problems?!?!?!?!?..........

Bad wiring since the early 90's is why they have no resale from constant electrical glitches from under engineering which reeks havoc on there systems.

Long term bud, reliability on Audi's that are no longer under factory warranty would make me very nervous to say the least. A lot of 'gremlins' in those cars I'm afraid. I stayed clear of an Audi with quataro AWD because of that & parts costs are very expensive too.

:cheers:

Long term bud, reliability on Audi's that are no longer under factory warranty would make me very nervous to say the least. A lot of 'gremlins' in those cars I'm afraid. I stayed clear of an Audi with quataro AWD because of that & parts costs are very expensive too.

Coming from someone that just bought a Subaru that's an interesting statement to say about a car w/ AWD. Although they didn't invent it, Audi pioneered AWD for the mainstream market in the 80's. Audi's issues aren't w/ the quattro system - that's probably the most solid part of the drivetrain. (Actually my first inclination was to find a used Legacy GT, but they are few and far between)

Like all German cars, Audi's weaknesses are in the electrical system. On the A4 of those years bad ignition coils, MAF sensors, and window switches seem to be the major gremlins. The coil and switch issue have been corrected (by improving replacement parts). MAF sensors are just something that I'll have to live with.

Something about European (German) cars appeals to me and I couldn't find a Jap car that met all of the requirements that I was looking for. I've had a VW Passat in the stable for a while and it's been a good car. The A4 shares the same platform, engine, and many other components with the Passat. I have the VAG-COM diagnostic program and a shop full of tools (and a good friend that works at Tidewater Auto Electric) so I think I'll be OK. If not then you can all laugh at me when I'm on here complaining.

FWIW I just picked up an '01 A4 1.8T Quattro, 45K miles and factory warranty until 100K or 12/07 (not the same car that my original post was about)

FWIW I just picked up an '01 A4 1.8T Quattro, 45K miles and factory warranty until 100K or 12/07 (not the same car that my original post was about)

CONGRATS! Hope that you enjoy your new car. If you have problems at least you have the warranty. The friend that works on them is a BIG + too...

Congrats and post pics when you can!! B) I agree with you that there is something about German cars that is just not there in Japanese cars (I even think the same can be said for American cars. I love how you slide on to that big bench seat in the front, and it feels like it was custom taylored for you!).