Just Had 40,000 Mile Service

05silverls430

I thought 4 cylinders to 4 quarts, 6 cylinders to 6 quarts, and I would assume a V8 would take 8. If they drained the existing oil like they should (right?), wouldn't they need to refill it with the same amount? Or do 8 cylinder engines just take 6 qts.? I'm no mechanic...I was just wondering.

Also, anyone have any positive or negative experiences with Lexus of Glendale? This is my first time there since purchasing the car CPO in January. I would describe myself as an anal customer with VERY high expectations, and so far I'm not too impressed with the service...

6 quarts sounds right. The amount of oil has less to do with the number of cyls and more to do with the displacement. 4.3L is pretty small for a V8.

What specifically dissapointed you about the service?

I also own a 2003 LS 430 and have also been curious about the oil fill. I think that 6 quarts is probably the correct amount with a filter change but in order to be sure do two things:

1. Read the owners manual. It actually states 5 quarts.

2. Drain ALL of the oil out of the crank case, remove and replace the oil filter. Refill with five quarts of quality oil and check the oil level. Start the motor, let it set and recheck the oil level. If it is low add the correct amount.

Overfilling these motors with to much oil is probably not a good idea. The crank shaft strikes the excess oil in the pan and whips it into a foam. The foam doesn't do anything for lubrication and is hard on the motor. Five quarts of oil is probably fine for these engines and any more is just there for people who only change their oil at 15,000 mile intervals and never check it. :D

6 quarts sounds right. The amount of oil has less to do with the number of cyls and more to do with the displacement. 4.3L is pretty small for a V8.

Thanks for the clarification on the oil.

As far as the service, I'll spare you the long version, but in a nut shell:

lack of communciations (I had to call to get updates as opposed to the service advisor calling me); misinformation given by the service advisor;

showing up to pick up car and having to wait almost an hour and a half before I could leave (car and paperwork weren't ready) - keep in mind that the service advisor knew what time I was going to get there, told me the car was washed and ready, and should have had time to finalize the paperwork...when I got there I find out he's on lunch (and I arrived right when I told him that I would);

one problem (rattles) that he said were addressed turned out not to have been addressed;

they had the car for 4 days, and I'm going to have to bring it back in on Monday of next week so that they can finish it (I was tired of driving the loaner car and wanted mine back)

I know I have high expectations, but I expect better communications and coordination, and for what my service advisor tells me to be verified factual information.

Hopefully the service experience will be better next time.

Thanks for the clarification on the oil.

As far as the service, I'll spare you the long version, but in a nut shell:

lack of communciations (I had to call to get updates as opposed to the service advisor calling me); misinformation given by the service advisor;

showing up to pick up car and having to wait almost an hour and a half before I could leave (car and paperwork weren't ready) - keep in mind that the service advisor knew what time I was going to get there, told me the car was washed and ready, and should have had time to finalize the paperwork...when I got there I find out he's on lunch (and I arrived right when I told him that I would);

one problem (rattles) that he said were addressed turned out not to have been addressed;

they had the car for 4 days, and I'm going to have to bring it back in on Monday of next week so that they can finish it (I was tired of driving the loaner car and wanted mine back)

I know I have high expectations, but I expect better communications and coordination, and for what my service advisor tells me to be verified factual information.

As far as service goes, In general the service industry is getting very lazy ( although there are a few good eggs out there ) Some will tell you they had a wonderful life changing experience and " life is good " Then there is the below average service that is in every business. My expectations are also very high ( where they should be ) and I won't settle for anything else. I would submit a writen complaint to the service manager personally. I am in the service industry although it is not automotive never the less SERVICE IS SERVICE and the job has got to be done right the first time. I also have and hold very high standards to myself and apply that to my work and the results are well worth it. I guess some put the $ first and the customer wherever they fall. My .02 cents.

And no, I will not reply to this thread.

Sounds like you're right to be frustrated. For $100 an hour for service high expectations are fine LOL.

You might try a different service advisor.