Pt Cruisers?

nc211

Well the soon to be wife is in love with the PT Cruiser and I'm thinking a wedding gift might be one. I can't get her to budge on anything else. No IS300 in my driveway's near future :( . So I figured I'd post up the question to my fellow gear-heads. Anyone own a PT Cruiser? My parents have two of them in south florida. They've had their 2001 since new "and love it" and they now have a 05' turbo convertible. They've had no problems with them at all, except for one recall relating to the fuel line next to the brake component in the rear "nothing major :o , fuel matched by friction can't do much damage...hahaha". I like her taste in the financial realm. You can get a fully loaded 05' with 10k miles on them for like $13 grand down here. Saw an 05 convert. turbo with 11k miles on it for $14k the other day.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of my brothers-in-law has a 2003 PT Cruiser in the Orlando area. He bought it new and says it has been relatively trouble-free and inexpensive to maintain. I believe he has about 70,000 miles on the vehicle currently. I find the PT Cruiser way too small (I'm 6'7" and 250 pounds) but I think that if you and your future wife are both 5'10" or under, you'll both be okay. I agree with you - very inexpensive transportation. Gotta like it when a woman will settle for a car like that. For your sake let's hope she's as economical with her jewelry and wardrobe requirements as she is with her transportation requirements....

I had a '04 for a rental for about a week when my LS was at the body shop. They're great little cars. The 4cyl is like a camel as far as gas is concerned, and the versatility is unreal....you can configure the back seats and cargo area about ten thousand different ways! The only thing I didn't like was the shape of the hood + low fenders made it tricky to park. I'm sure it just takes some getting used to though. The model I had didn't have crusie control (fleet options...a/c, stereo, and power windows, and that's it.)...what a PITA that was. And, mine was an aweful bright blue color.... post-1461-1143577950_thumb.jpg The current PT is ancient; I'd take cross-shop the Chevy PT Cruiser since it's from this time period! LOL

I was fairly comfortable in the one that I had (I'm not quite as tall as RX though!). It's like driving a minivan the way you sit so high up! LOL It's easy to get in and out of too with the big front doors and high seats.

"For your sake let's hope she's as economical with her jewelry and wardrobe requirements"

Hahaha...well that 1ct. true flawless and colorless diamond on her hand didn't help...plus riding around in a LS400....I've created a monster! :blink:

She's actually very practicle, a lot more than me. Well I emailed the lexus dealership to keep an eye out for a 2005 White PT-Cruiser Limited edition with under 20k on the clock. They've been so good to me over the past two years that I feel guilty for not returning the loyalty. I want the turbo, but the wife doesn't care, and the insurance guy will be happy too....which means my wallet will be happy as well. It's hard to believe you can get these cars for so cheap! Carpoint.com owner reviews are awesome! Rank as high as the LS400, which amazes me from a Chrystler. My parents 02' "thought it was 01" is the limited model and they've driven it back and forth from Oklahoma to S.W. Florida three times....they love it. Me? I'm just looking forward to having another toy to mess with on the weekends, as I'm pretty close to having my LS totally finished.

PS: Blake, I think you've got a piece of brocolli stuck in your teeth in your photo! Hahaha

Haha nc i know what you mean. My fiance' went from driving her '92 mazda mx3 POS to my lexus too. You know what they say, once they get the seat molded to their butt you might as well kiss your car goodbye, its theirs now :) .

I can't believe those cars are so cheap, but can you imagine how much it's gonna be worth when you go to sell it? If you can come to terms with that I'd say go for it. They are definitely unique cars! Good luck!

PS: Blake, I think you've got a piece of brocolli stuck in your teeth in your photo! Hahaha

Ooooops!! I fixed it, thanks for the heads up!! :D :lol: I think you'll like the PT. If the Lexus dealer finds one for you, I'd go straight to the Chrysler dealer and extend the bumper to bumper warranty....just incase something goes wrong.

:cheers:

Yep...and you know this one too...

Her: I'm tired of you always working on your car.

Me: I am too, I think I'll sell it and get the Infinity version of the Maxima.

Her: No, don't do that, I don't like those cars....just keep the Lexus.

Me: But...

Her: Go fix it...

Me: Ok ;-)...have fun shopping!

That's the thing about the PT's and thier prices. I figure at some point, when you're starting out new(ish) at $14k, at some point the falling value will flatline to basic transportation numbers...probably $8k +/-. I figure at 15k miles a year, by the time we sell it, it'll be around 60-70k miles....or 4 years. From $14k to $8k is about right on the normal slide. I do feel sorry for those who purchased these cars brand spankin' new! They lost a ton the second they signed the title. The basic models new are $17k +/-. The limited models are mid to high $20's. Now, with 15k miles on them, the basic's are selling for $12k and the limiteds are around $15k. Same year, same mileage. That's a huge drop for the limiteds. Good for suckers like me though!

Ooooops!! I fixed it, thanks for the heads up!! :D :lol: I think you'll like the PT. If the Lexus dealer finds one for you, I'd go straight to the Chrysler dealer and extend the bumper to bumper warranty....just incase something goes wrong.

As usual....you read my mind!! Whatever we get, it's got to be under 20k miles, and inside of 12 months old. then straight to the chrystler dealer to do exactly as you said! Although, I will be a little disappointed to not have the option of WHACKIN' it with the pneumatic air hammer. I have yet to need that thing, but I'm diein' to use it!

Don't let her do it (for your sake). No modern self respecting man would ever drive a PT cruiser or be seen inside one. You can only get away with the association if you're a woman or if you are old enough to have been around when cars were styled like that the first time. Never been a fan of the PT. I suppose it's OK, but a little too retro-dorky for me. I actually like the Chevy version a little better in terms of styling.

I've never driven one or even been inside a PT so my $0.02's not worth much on this one. If you do get one though - just make sure to tell everyone that it is "her" car and not your car (or "our" car) :whistles:

Hahahaa...I hear ya' branshew. Those cars have a strange following. You either love them, or you hate them, no grey area with them. Me? I like em', especially the financial aspect of them "and hauling ability". If you've ever been to Lowes in a LS400, then you know exactly what I'm talking about! Hahaha. I can promise you this though....NO CELINE DION SHALL EVER BE PLAYED IN IT! And the wife agrees with you...It's "her" car only, not "ours" as I'll have that SOB up on jacks inside of a week!

Carla's aunt has one and she loves it, never had any problems. She was T-Boned and it was repaired and rides good as new. Her husband is a "fix it" kinda guy and always hauls wood and stuff in it and it'll swallow anything. Very versatile little car.

I'll personally never own a Chrysler product....no matter how nice the design. I use to work for a Chrysler dealer years back, even the techs at the dealership refused to drive em! :blink: Didn't matter if it was a entry level Neon, or top of the line Jeep (and everything in between).

In the last month at my work (650+ employees at my new location) I've seen CAA (same as AAA in the U.S.) in our parking lot towing workers cars because of various breakdowns........all 6 vehicles were Chrysler (2000 model years & newer!) products (including 1 PT) & I couldn't stop shaking my head. :whistles:

Perhaps try & convince her to consider something similar........I highly suggest having a close look at a Subaru Forester (03 or newer.......their bulletproof & built like a bank vault on wheels). ;) :)

I'll personally never own a Chrysler product....no matter how nice the design. I use to work for a Chrysler dealer years back, even the techs at the dealership refused to drive em! :blink: Didn't matter if it was a entry level Neon, or top of the line Jeep (and everything in between).

The operative work here is "years back".

Fair enough.....& yes they have improved. Still to this day they are nowhere near the Japanese brands however in terms of quality & reliability......Chrysler has lot's of work still to do. B)

Fair enough.....& yes they have improved. Still to this day they are nowhere near the Japanese brands however in terms of quality & reliability......Chrysler has lot's of work still to do. B)

You do know the pt is built on a neon frame :censored: !!!! I personally would never have one in my garage :chairshot: , So if my wifey wanted a pt she would have to build a garage off site to accomidate her choice of vehicle. :lol::cheers:

You do know the pt is built on a neon frame

So?

Anyways the platform is only loosly derived from the Neon.

Well, The neon reminds me of a "Spec " a very small uncomfortable car. And to build anything on that frame reminds me of balancing a bowling ball on a marble and setting it in the middle of the highway. I guess such an auto would be ok for getting around town for groceries and such but just not for me or the wifey.

LOL, you do realize that most of the small SUV/wagon vehicles are based on the frames of economy cars right?

Not everyone can afford a Lexus you know, some people have to be satisfied with different more affordable cars. Some people also aren't willing or interested in driving around decade plus old vehicles simply because they're "more substantial". The PT is a very drivable vehicle with a lot of utility at a reasonable price with a good reliability record. Nothing to be ashamed of there.

LOL, you do realize that most of the small SUV/wagon vehicles are based on the frames of economy cars right?

Not everyone can afford a Lexus you know, some people have to be satisfied with different more affordable cars. Some people also aren't willing or interested in driving around decade plus old vehicles simply because they're "more substantial". The PT is a very drivable vehicle with a lot of utility at a reasonable price with a good reliability record. Nothing to be ashamed of there.

Yes, I do realize the fact that there are many vehicles built on the same platform, But I don't agree with that type of shortcut in the production of an automobile = CHEAP ENGINEERING. :chairshot:

Lexus does it, the ES and the RX are based off the Camry platform. In fact, the ES shares a lot more with the Camry than the PT shares with the Neon.

Its something ALL car companies do, and why not? It helps keep the cost down and allows them to offer a car with a lot of content at a great price. Look at what you can get in an ES for $38k, they wouldn't be able to sell the car for that if it weren't based off the Camry.

EVERY car company shares platforms. Some car companies even sell out their platforms to other companies, Toyota does that too! You know the Pontiac Vibe? Thats a Toyota Matrix clone. Geo/Chevrolet Prism? Corolla. BMW X3? 3 Series platform. X5? 5 series. Mercedes CLS? E Class platform. Chrysler 300C? E class platform. Mercedes R Class? E Class platform. Mercedes CLK? C class platform. Even Rolls Royce and Bentley share platforms!

The Avalon, Camry, ES, RX, Solara, and Highlander are ALL derivatives of the Camry Platform. Its a versitile platform.

Inexpensive engineering doesn't mean poor engineering. If every car model was a totally unique platform you wouldn't be able to buy a new car for less than $40k.

For the most part I agree (to go with your comments as an example.....the Subaru Forester is built on the Impreza platform & then reinforced in it's own way......5 star front & side impact safety rating from both the NHTSA & IIHS).

The PT however does not have what I would call a 'stellar' reliability record compared to other models in it's class & is not at the top in cargo capacity either. Overall performance is below par as well, unless you get the Turbo engine (a Turbo Chrysler?......no thanks :blink: ) :whistles:

The good news is (depending on how one looks at it) the PT suffers from rapid depreciation just like almost every other domestic model so prices are more affordable. ;)

Lexus does it, the ES and the RX are based off the Camry platform. In fact, the ES shares a lot more with the Camry than the PT shares with the Neon.

Its something ALL car companies do, and why not? It helps keep the cost down and allows them to offer a car with a lot of content at a great price. Look at what you can get in an ES for $38k, they wouldn't be able to sell the car for that if it weren't based off the Camry.

EVERY car company shares platforms. Some car companies even sell out their platforms to other companies, Toyota does that too! You know the Pontiac Vibe? Thats a Toyota Matrix clone. Geo/Chevrolet Prism? Corolla. BMW X3? 3 Series platform. X5? 5 series. Mercedes CLS? E Class platform. Chrysler 300C? E class platform. Mercedes R Class? E Class platform. Mercedes CLK? C class platform. Even Rolls Royce and Bentley share platforms!

The Avalon, Camry, ES, RX, Solara, and Highlander are ALL derivatives of the Camry Platform. Its a versitile platform.

Inexpensive engineering doesn't mean poor engineering. If every car model was a totally unique platform you wouldn't be able to buy a new car for less than $40k.

Sure, Like I said alot of car co.s share platforms, I just don't agree with it. And yes, lexus does it too, But I still do not agree with it. I bought a gs for myself because it is unique to it's own, Like the ls is. The sharing is great for part swapping and such but I personally do not care for it. That is just the way I am, Unique in MY own way ( by choice ). I am not saying that the pt is junk, Just not the type of auto I would spend my $ on.

Sure, Like I said alot of car co.s share platforms, I just don't agree with it. And yes, lexus does it too, But I still do not agree with it. I bought a gs for myself because it is unique to it's own, Like the ls is. The sharing is great for part swapping and such but I personally do not care for it. That is just the way I am, Unique in MY own way ( by choice ). I am not saying that the pt is junk, Just not the type of auto I would spend my $ on.

It's a fair point.....I personally however do not mind platform sharing, stuff like that does not bother me. To each their own. B)

But SW is correct, if every car had it's own unique platform, purchasing a car would be astronomical because of the engineering costs alone. B)

It's a fair point.....I personally however do not mind platform sharing, stuff like that does not bother me. To each their own. B)

But SW is correct, if every car had it's own unique platform, purchasing a car would be astronomical because of the engineering costs alone. B)

That is correct, Then one would get what they are paying for. I didn't mind paying for my gs, I got what I paid for. ;)