My 91 Ls Id Back On The Road

914lps

O.K., if you folks have been following my posts you know I had the joy of a 175 mile tow truck drive, when my car died in the middle of no-where (If you know the area by Hwy 8 where Calif Mexico, and Arizona come togeather, I was about 12 miles from hwy 8 on Ogilby road).

Thought my timing belt at just under 140,000 miles or the water pump said a suden goodby.

Well turns out putting off doing the timing belt/water pump was not at the root of the brakedown.

My harmonic balancer came apart! The friction heat melted the platic cover with the timing marks on it, at the mounting piont for the crack sensor. Sensor feel off, car died.

I did replace the belt and water pump to play it safe, but the belt still looked dame good, and so did the pump.

As I had to really tear into the car to find the touble, it would have been stupid not to start putting new parts on. Like about $1,200.00 worth of parts.

I did the following parts:

Timing belt

Water pump

No.1 idler pulley

No.2 idler pulley

Timing belt tensioner

Spark plugs

Thermostat

Distributors

Rotors

Drive belt

Air filter

I also replaced crank sensor, both coils (never replaced before) all associated seals, gaskets, and O rings. Upper and lower hoses (they had never been changed) and coolant. Also the power steering Air regulator valve (mine was messed up). Oh, and a good used Harmonic Balancer.

Lexls, I bought the parts from Lextreme, off the link on your site.

I did not replace the Spark plug wires as they had only about 20,000 miles on them.

It took the shop I use over 18 hours to do everything on my car. This included taking the car apart to find the problem to begin with. This is a small shop, and my car is the only Lexus they have worked on. As this was a “learning” job for them, they charged me for 15 hours, and that came out to $900.00.

So in the last 12 months in addition to the above I have replaced the struts, power steering pump and alternator. So this car should now be very happy…….

I got the car back just last Tuesday. I Just did a 900 mile two day drive. Car drove like it was very happy. I even drove right past the place on Ogilby rd, that I broke down at.

It is to soon to tell, but my MPG may have gone up by a galleon or so. If so, I would say the new coils are doing a better job then the old ones.

Also an update. If you folks recall Pep Boys :pirate: messed up my car when I was stuck and had to have them replace an almost new PS pump. I complained to the store manager, and was blown off. I complained to corporate thay for some reason, turned it over to the store manager who blew me off again, and killed my complaint. I again complained, very strongly to corporate. I got every penny back from Pep Boys….. :cheers:

I I also fixed that pain in the but EGR code. Poped the cap off the valve, but a new filter on it,and put the cap back on. It took longer to find a filter to cut to shap at the parts store, then it did to do the work.

Lexls, do you have a paypal account? It is about time I sent you something for the help I have gotten off your site.

O.K., if you folks have been following my posts you know I had the joy of a 175 mile tow truck drive, when my car died in the middle of no-where (If you know the area by Hwy 8 where Calif Mexico, and Arizona come togeather, I was about 12 miles from hwy 8 on Ogilby road).

Thought my timing belt at just under 140,000 miles or the water pump said a suden goodby.

Well turns out putting off doing the timing belt/water pump was not at the root of the brakedown.

My harmonic balancer came apart! The friction heat melted the platic cover with the timing marks on it, at the mounting piont for the crack sensor. Sensor feel off, car died.

I did replace the belt and water pump to play it safe, but the belt still looked dame good, and so did the pump.

As I had to really tear into the car to find the touble, it would have been stupid not to start putting new parts on. Like about $1,200.00 worth of parts.

I did the following parts:

Timing belt

Water pump

No.1 idler pulley

No.2 idler pulley

Timing belt tensioner

Spark plugs

Thermostat

Distributors

Rotors

Drive belt

Air filter

I also replaced crank sensor, both coils (never replaced before) all associated seals, gaskets, and O rings. Upper and lower hoses (they had never been changed) and coolant. Also the power steering Air regulator valve (mine was messed up). Oh, and a good used Harmonic Balancer.

Lexls, I bought the parts from Lextreme, off the link on your site.

I did not replace the Spark plug wires as they had only about 20,000 miles on them.

It took the shop I use over 18 hours to do everything on my car. This included taking the car apart to find the problem to begin with. This is a small shop, and my car is the only Lexus they have worked on. As this was a “learning” job for them, they charged me for 15 hours, and that came out to $900.00.

So in the last 12 months in addition to the above I have replaced the struts, power steering pump and alternator. So this car should now be very happy…….

I got the car back just last Tuesday. I Just did a 900 mile two day drive. Car drove like it was very happy. I even drove right past the place on Ogilby rd, that I broke down at.

It is to soon to tell, but my MPG may have gone up by a galleon or so. If so, I would say the new coils are doing a better job then the old ones.

Also an update. If you folks recall Pep Boys :pirate: messed up my car when I was stuck and had to have them replace an almost new PS pump. I complained to the store manager, and was blown off. I complained to corporate thay for some reason, turned it over to the store manager who blew me off again, and killed my complaint. I again complained, very strongly to corporate. I got every penny back from Pep Boys…..:cheers:

I I also fixed that pain in the but EGR code. Poped the cap off the valve, but a new filter on it,and put the cap back on. It took longer to find a filter to cut to shap at the parts store, then it did to do the work.

Lexls, do you have a paypal account? It is about time I sent you something for the help I have gotten off your site.

There is a " Make a Donation " link ( paypal ) @ www.lexls.com :cheers: