Freon Problems

justintime

At the tail end of last summer, I started experiencing major problems with my vehicles ability to keep hold in freon for more that a week. I have a 1991 LS400. Could it be that I have a leak? If so, how do I find it and how much can I expect to pay? Is this typical? I had to load up on Freon 7 times between July 2005 and October 2005. That got pretty costly. Please help. I refuse to fry this spring.

Thanks

At the tail end of last summer, I started experiencing major problems with my vehicles ability to keep hold in freon for more that a week. I have a 1991 LS400. Could it be that I have a leak? If so, how do I find it and how much can I expect to pay? Is this typical? I had to load up on Freon 7 times between July 2005 and October 2005. That got pretty costly. Please help. I refuse to fry this spring.
I hope you have been recharging with real, genuine R12 freon, because substitute refrigerants like R134a can aggravate and even cause leaks in R12 systems. Try searching the past posts of Kennyr. I believe sometime last spring he posted photos of a common refrigerant leakage point on the early 1990's LS400 and the 0-ring seal that needs to be replaced to correct the leak.

I have found 0 ring leaks at the pipes at the left front of the vehicle under the battery. Also at the right firewall under the cruise control unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to an AC shop or Toyota and have them put a "sniffer" on it to locate the source of the leak. Mine was under the compressor on my 90 and we didn't spot it until we pulled the compressor, so have them check there also as it is not obvious. Get an estimate and report back so we can help/advise.

Look around the a/c pipes for an area with an oily dusty area. This would be the sources or one of them. You could also have a leak or split in your condensor (front of radiator), evaporator (inside heater), or it could be one of the many O rings or the compressor itself. For it to leak so much i would check for splits. On my parts list the condensor is $450, evaporator $322, compressor $761, expansion valve $82, regulator assy pressure $155. Not to mention regas prices.

You might consider having your A/C converted to R134a. I had it done on the 90 LS I had and the A/C worked just as well as with R12. Then if you still have any leaks you will at least be recharging it with cheap refrigerant.