Exhaust System

I'm thinking about getting a new exhaust system for my 2001 GS300. I'm just looking to add as much horsepower but I don't want a loud sounding exhaust, just something that sounds a little deeper. Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm thinking about getting a new exhaust system for my 2001 GS300. I'm just looking to add as much horsepower but I don't want a loud sounding exhaust, just something that sounds a little deeper. Thanks for any suggestions.

borla

Borla

I thought Borla was used mostly in American cars. About how much horsepower gain should I expect and how much noisepower gain should I expect? I really don't want anything too loud just to sound a little deeper than stock.

Borla

I thought Borla was used mostly in American cars. About how much horsepower gain should I expect and how much noisepower gain should I expect? I really don't want anything too loud just to sound a little deeper than stock.

look into Tanabe and Apexi also.

Tanabe's website has the clips for you to listen to the sound. I'm also thinking of getting it for my gs4 $859.00 is what my friend is giving me, let me know if you get a better price.

Like I said before, I don't want anything too loud but I also want something that makes pretty good horsepower. I just wanted to see what other people have used and how satisfied they are with gains vs. noise. Some exhausts don't tell you at least an estimate of the power you should gain. If I can gain like 15-20hp over stock that would be good.

Tanabe's website has the clips for you to listen to the sound. I'm also thinking of getting it for my gs4 $859.00 is what my friend is giving me, let me know if you get a better price.

Like I said before, I don't want anything too loud but I also want something that makes pretty good horsepower. I just wanted to see what other people have used and how satisfied they are with gains vs. noise. Some exhausts don't tell you at least an estimate of the power you should gain. If I can gain like 15-20hp over stock that would be good.

Seriously, If your looking for those gains you will probably need headers and custom pipes all the way back and you will have to lose the cat, Not to mention a change in the intake dept. Claims of hp gains are 99% exagerated in the exhaust aftermarket world.

Seriously, If your looking for those gains you will probably need headers and custom pipes all the way back and you will have to lose the cat, Not to mention a change in the intake dept. Claims of hp gains are 99% exagerated in the exhaust aftermarket world.

Yea, I was also thinking about doing an intake upgrade. I wasn't sure if I should go with the SRT intake with ECU upgrade or something else. They claim a gain of 22hp and 24lb/tq. But how accurate is that?

Yea, I was also thinking about doing an intake upgrade. I wasn't sure if I should go with the SRT intake with ECU upgrade or something else. They claim a gain of 22hp and 24lb/tq. But how accurate is that?

Acurate ? The only way is to dyno before and after.

Yea but don't almost all 2nd gen GS3's come with the same horsepower from factory? So I want to know if anybody installed the SRT intake and if they actually had the results SRT claims.

Yea but don't almost all 2nd gen GS3's come with the same horsepower from factory? So I want to know if anybody installed the SRT intake and if they actually had the results SRT claims.

I mentioned before and after because then you would know exactly where your car is at. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the tanabe done and it is sweet!!! $800. paid but found a better price at $772 online.

Well, Get under that Bad Boy and snap some pix ;) . Or better yet post a audio clip :D Where did you purchase ? Did you install it yourself ? Details my man, Details................ :cheers:

Unless you car is force inducted, I don't think any exhaust system would let loose 20-25 horses. Maybe if you got an intake system, and a full exhaust from the header, back.... and some tuning, you will reach that number. I had some cheap universal straight-thru mufflers donated to me, and had custom piping done from the cat, back. It's not loud at all. Granted it is louder than stock, but not a !Removed!-can.

Unless you car is force inducted, I don't think any exhaust system would let loose 20-25 horses. Maybe if you got an intake system, and a full exhaust from the header, back.... and some tuning, you will reach that number. I had some cheap universal straight-thru mufflers donated to me, and had custom piping done from the cat, back. It's not loud at all. Granted it is louder than stock, but not a !Removed!-can.

I added an Injen intake now I just want to see what would be a good exhaust to put on my car that's gonna give me a decent amount of power without being too loud, but I want something louder stock for that power feel.

I have a 2000 GS 400; about 2 weeks ago I converted my K & N FIPK intake into cold air down into my wheelwell. Just last Saturday I put my Borlas on, I really like them a lot. I was a little hesitant at first just like you because... an American exhaust on a Japanese luxury car??? But I tell you, it is a sweet exhaust and it sounds great. The look is quite a bit larger than the 98' to 00' GS stock exhaust outlets and is only a little larger than the 01' and up GS models. I feel a little more power and better highway passing.

Nick

Just got the tanabe done and it is sweet!!! $800. paid but found a better price at $772 online.

do you happen to have the link for that 772 price?

i came across a similar price before, but forgot the link-i do remember them being located in ca tho...

also-like a prev poster requested-do you have an audio clip?

the tanabe website only has the gs300 clip-obviously a v8 will be sounding different.

thx!

I have a 2000 GS 400; about 2 weeks ago I converted my K & N FIPK intake into cold air down into my wheelwell. Just last Saturday I put my Borlas on, I really like them a lot. I was a little hesitant at first just like you because... an American exhaust on a Japanese luxury car??? But I tell you, it is a sweet exhaust and it sounds great. The look is quite a bit larger than the 98' to 00' GS stock exhaust outlets and is only a little larger than the 01' and up GS models. I feel a little more power and better highway passing.

Nick

I like the look of the Borla exhaust but I am considering the Tanabe Super Hyper Medalion from luxurymods.com for $695 shippped.

I too was looking into the tanabe, but keep in mind a couple of things:

1. Not a chrome finish like Borla

2. Exhaust tips don't have a finished rolled edge like Borla

3. Almost the loudest exhaust on the market (from searching and reading write-ups from people)

4. If you have the stock rear apron (bumper) it will stick out about 2 - 3".

Just some more FYI.

Nick

do you happen to have the link for that 772 price?

i came across a similar price before, but forgot the link-i do remember them being located in ca tho...

also-like a prev poster requested-do you have an audio clip?

the tanabe website only has the gs300 clip-obviously a v8 will be sounding different.

thx!

I forgot that link already for the $772, But I type in google and it was either the first 5 links or the links on the right hand side. But my friend promise me the tanabe on 4/3. I made them write me a invoice if I don't get it by that date I would get me refund. So they didn't get it that date as stated, But they did minus another $50.00 of the exhaust and now it is $750. So I'm waiting until 4/12 final date to recieve me exhaust. I think the Gs300 and Gs400 should sound almost the same. Someone also told me Greddy has a better exhaust then Tanabe?? lifetime warranty,cheaper price, sounds much deeper than tanabe. But since I already paid for the tanabe I'll just wait for it. I will post the sound clip when I get the exhaust.

Nick

I like the look of the Borla exhaust but I am considering the Tanabe Super Hyper Medalion from luxurymods.com for $695 shippped.

Medalion Touring suppose to be MUCH better from what I heard. I was considering about Borlas, but it was REALLY loud on my friends car, so kinda afraid I would be upset.

If anyhing, the Tanabe will be louder than the Borla! I have read this statement all over the internet. I was actually a little disappointed initially with the Borlas because of the low, quite tone. Under WOT I only really hear the intake and engine. I heard it takes a couple of weeks/months for the exhaust to fully break in; it is supposed to get a little louder and deeper I think I will like it even more then.

Nick

If anyhing, the Tanabe will be louder than the Borla! I have read this statement all over the internet. I was actually a little disappointed initially with the Borlas because of the low, quite tone. Under WOT I only really hear the intake and engine. I heard it takes a couple of weeks/months for the exhaust to fully break in; it is supposed to get a little louder and deeper I think I will like it even more then.

Nick

I was listening to some exhausts on this website and I really like the sound of the RMM exhaust system. Here's the link http://videos.streetfire.net/category/Lexu...C86D9F4365F.htm