Quick 'where Does This Go' Question

sahtt

My schedule has been busy and I didn't get a chance to start on the lex until almost 6pm last evening. I made fantastic progress and tore everything down including replacing the crank seal, waterpump, all idlers, etc. This morning, just before I was going to start the great task of retightening the crank pulley, I realized I had a large washer/spacer left over that I must have overseen working with limited light last night.

It's a couple mm's thick, about 1" diameter, and has a 9mm hole. The TB writeup from this forum I was roughly following had little mention of any spacer except for putting back on the timing cover, but the picture is blurry to the point of uselessness. I was unable to find any suitable location for the spacer that coordinates at all with this part.

Unfortunately, I'm the type of guy that cannot go on knowing something is not right, or I'll be worrying about having a coolant leak or something every second I drive the car henceforth.

I'm 99% sure the spacer has came from steps after removing the fan bracket on this write-up. A diagram of the parts would also probably solve my problem.

Thanks guys.

sahtt:

It's a couple mm's thick, about 1" diameter, and has a 9mm hole. The TB writeup from this forum I was roughly following had little mention of any spacer except for putting back on the timing cover, but the picture is blurry to the point of uselessness. I was unable to find any suitable location for the spacer that coordinates at all with this part.

If you are referring to LexLs' site, his instructions for changing the timing belt, Step 35, and this is the picture you are referring to;

post-21824-1141528192_thumb.jpg

Then, no, this picture refers to the trapezoid shaped piece of plastic (he refers to it as a "spacer"). This picture/this location does not have any large "spacers" within close proximity that I can recall.

Unfortunately, I'm the type of guy that cannot go on knowing something is not right, or I'll be worrying about having a coolant leak or something every second I drive the car henceforth.

As well you should be. It would really suck if you put this much work into your car and you have problems because the part wasn't put back into the correct location. Does it look like it could be a washer? Does it have "cuts" around the center hole like they could have been made by a bolt head?

I'm 99% sure the spacer has came from steps after removing the fan bracket on this write-up. A diagram of the parts would also probably solve my problem.

Have you looked at any of the rear surfaces of any of the parts that you removed? If it is a spacer, then it will go back on the rear of "something".

a picture of the washer would be nice

Would if I could. My camera is with a friend in a different city this weekend. It is the only semi-large washer throughout the entire process if I'm not mistaken. I used process of elimination to make sure I wasn't missing the washer in any critical area. I went ahead on put everything back together and will finish up correcting the timing on the cam pulleys once I get the tensioner in, it's giving me a bit of a headache.

sahtt:

If you are referring to LexLs' site, his instructions for changing the timing belt, Step 35, and this is the picture you are referring to;

Then, no, this picture refers to the trapezoid shaped piece of plastic (he refers to it as a "spacer"). This picture/this location does not have any large "spacers" within close proximity that I can recall.

As well you should be. It would really suck if you put this much work into your car and you have problems because the part wasn't put back into the correct location. Does it look like it could be a washer? Does it have "cuts" around the center hole like they could have been made by a bolt head?

Have you looked at any of the rear surfaces of any of the parts that you removed? If it is a spacer, then it will go back on the rear of "something".

sahtt:

I tried to look at all the possibilities. I went step-by-step while trying to put the washer anywhere I should it theorhetically could have gone. It is either too tight or too loose to fit most places, though there are one or two 14mm bolts where it could have gone in front. The washer has the twisting/torque effects of another washer on it as well, so I assume it may have gone in front of one of the few 14mm bolts. If that is the case and it causes problems, I can remove those bolts without tearing down the engine completely, for the most part.

The picture is also much clearer on there than on my printed page.

I just did this job a month ago and this sounds like the washer (spacer) that goes behind the timing belt tensioner pulley. If your sure you put that in then the only other place such a washer goes is on the drive belt idler pulley. You need to find where it goes before you start the car don't ignore it!!

I just did this job a month ago and this sounds like the washer (spacer) that goes behind the timing belt tensioner pulley. If your sure you put that in then the only other place such a washer goes is on the drive belt idler pulley. You need to find where it goes before you start the car don't ignore it!!

I don't think there is a part called a timing belt tensioner pulley, just the 2 idlers, and the actual timing belt tensioner. There is a drive belt tensioner pulley. Are you talking about the idler pulley [#2] with the HEX that touches the timing belt tensioner? I cannot recall if there was a spacer there, I certainly don't rememberp putting in one. It doesn't mention it in the write-up, are you sure there is a spacer between the waterpump unit and the other end of the HEX part of the idler pulley?

Thanks a huge amount already, hopefully I'll figure this out. I already put everything but the radiator in, but if I have to tear it all back down, so be it.

Yes that's what I'm talking about the timing belt idler bearing which is installed with the hex head bolt. I just looked in my manual and they call it out as the #1 idler pulley (the tensioner pushes against it). Anyway, it does have a spacer between the assembly and the block. Although the guides given on several Lexus sites are good I would NOT recommend anyone use them instead of a manual. There are simply too many details missing. For example that Hex head bolt that holds this bearing is to be installed with the blue medium strength loctite to keep it from coming loose. Let us know what you find.

Yes that's what I'm talking about the timing belt idler bearing which is installed with the hex head bolt. I just looked in my manual and they call it out as the #1 idler pulley (the tensioner pushes against it). Anyway, it does have a spacer between the assembly and the block. Although the guides given on several Lexus sites are good I would NOT recommend anyone use them instead of a manual. There are simply too many details missing. For example that Hex head bolt that holds this bearing is to be installed with the blue medium strength loctite to keep it from coming loose. Let us know what you find.

Thanks again for your assistance and tip for the HEX. Here are a couple pictures of the washer, since I went ahead and took them.

DSC00216.jpg

DSC00215.jpg

The wear pattern on the washer doesn't seem like it would be between the flat/solid waterpump unit [or it may be the block, doesn't matter] and the large cylinder shape of the HEX portion of the #1 idle pulley. It looks like a smaller washer has been against it, but perhaps I am mistaken. I could see how the extra couple mm's would make the timing belt fit better along the pulley though. Every other car I've owned has had a free version of the factory manual online, it is dissapointing there isn't one for this car, that i've found yet anyhow.

Also, another minor question regarding the tensioner since you were looking in that are of your manual. My new one came with a 'pin' through it holding it down. I removed the pin about 1/2 way, which enabled me enough room to be able to install it while also putting enough tension on the belt to keep it taught. At this point I'm assuming I just pull the pin out with pliers after I'm all done?

Thanks,

Steve

sahtt:

Also, another minor question regarding the tensioner since you were looking in that are of your manual. My new one came with a 'pin' through it holding it down. I removed the pin about 1/2 way, which enabled me enough room to be able to install it while also putting enough tension on the belt to keep it taught. At this point I'm assuming I just pull the pin out with pliers after I'm all done?

alsalih is correct, you need to "pull the pin". Make sure that you have both mounting bolts tightened down on the tensioner before you remove it. You'll want to confirm that the timing belt did not jump any teeth and that everything is aligned properly. Please see a prior post about how to do that;

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ndpost&p=182410

Since all the bolts were torqued correctly, it didn't take long to put the washer back in, with the blue loctite may I add, and put everything back together. I was able to double-triple check the timing this way as well. I am about to reassemble the drive pulleys, then it's just put the coolant system back together. Unfortuantely, I only have my motorcycle at my disposal, so I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to get all the coolant back here; I hate depending on rides. Even if I stuffed it in my backpack, no more than a gallon or two would fit and it would be unsafe. Oh well, much more important things to concern myself with.