Transmission Problems/failures with RX300 awd/fwd

tslex

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and I currently have a 2004 RX 330, which lexus has to buy back..because of the bad transmission shifting.. The dealer told me to try the 2006 version of the RX 330, he said that the 2004 was a bad year and a 2006 is better. Is there anyone out there with a 2006 rx 330 with bad transmission shifting between the first and second gears?

Should I just get a 350, or an infiniti or something???

It seems like almost all Toyota dealers offer transmission flush and almost no Lexus dealers offer it. Did anyone else notice this or is it just my part of the country?

Flush was the only option that the local Lexus dealers offered. Said the filter never needs serviced. I'm doing several drain and refills DIY instead.

It seems like almost all Toyota dealers offer transmission flush and almost no Lexus dealers offer it. Did anyone else notice this or is it just my part of the country?

Flush was the only option that the local Lexus dealers offered. Said the filter never needs serviced. I'm doing several drain and refills DIY instead.

Would that be Lexus of Akron Canton?

I actually called Metro Lexus up toward Cleveland. They are supposed to have the same owner though. I'm sort of fed up with the Akron dealer's service. Keep catching them in stupid lies, if you call them out on them they look you in the face and lie again. Pushed me to start DIYing stuff I was going to pay them to do. Metro seems top notch, just not the answer I wanted to hear for the trans fluid.

I actually called Metro Lexus up toward Cleveland. They are supposed to have the same owner though. I'm sort of fed up with the Akron dealer's service. Keep catching them in stupid lies, if you call them out on them they look you in the face and lie again. Pushed me to start DIYing stuff I was going to pay them to do. Metro seems top notch, just not the answer I wanted to hear for the trans fluid.

I did a search and it looks like Metro Lexus, Classic Lexus and Lexus of Akron Canton are the only 3 Lexus dealers in Ohio offering transmission flush. This isn't many considering the number of Lexus dealers in Ohio. But yet there are a lot of Toyota dealers offering it. I guess what I am getting at here is, if it is so important to flush your RX transmission why are so few Lexus dealers offering the service. So far I have only checked NY/NJ/PA area and Ohio, but it does look like a pattern here.

I suspected my 2001 RX 300 had a design defect. I've never owned a car where the transmission goes out so soon (96,573). We had the transmission replaced with a new Lexus transmission, but unfortunately after only 7,090 miles it's back in the shop.

Thanks to all the others who have posted. Now I know I'm not alone. I found the link to NTHSA and will definitely log the complaint once I get my vin#.

Thank you for filing complaint. So Sad, and right at the end of the year. Merry Christmas Lexus, Just chalk up another satisfied customer padding your pockets. The tranny issues never go away.....

Thank you for filing complaint. So Sad, and right at the end of the year. Merry Christmas Lexus, Just chalk up another satisfied customer padding your pockets. The tranny issues never go away.....

Looking backward in time...

When the Camry/ES transaxle was being upgraded to handle heavier duty in the RX300 the engineers somehow seemingly neglected to add pumping capacity to the gear type ATF oil pump. IMMHO it's actually more likely that they redesigned the shift pattern/schedule sequence to eliminate a few of the more critical shifts, shifts that required a high level of ATF pumpiing capacity even with the engine idling, or at idle.

So that's probably why the early RX's transaxles, '99 especially, are so prone to premature failure.

At some point (mid-'00..??) Toyota came to realize their mistake/oversight and increased the ATF pumping capacity. But this time they overlooked the possibility that the extra pumping capacity would generate a higher heating level, localized heating level within the ATF pump itself, and the ATF would overheat and be burned in as little as 40,000 miles.

So the ATF drain/refill recommended maintainance schedule was revised from infinitely, NEVER, to every 15,000 miles.

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and I currently have a 2004 RX 330, which lexus has to buy back..because of the bad transmission shifting.. The dealer told me to try the 2006 version of the RX 330, he said that the 2004 was a bad year and a 2006 is better. Is there anyone out there with a 2006 rx 330 with bad transmission shifting between the first and second gears?

Can anyone help me please? Is the RX series just a bad design?

Hello all,

Okay, first, the RX is NOT a "BAD" design.

But frankly, were I buying today my first considerations would go to the Acura SH-AWD or the BMW X3/5. Or maybe the new Infiniti EX35 provided it isn't as UGLY as its brethren.

There are some traditional problems with the RX in that it uses a flawed, SERIOUSLY flawed, NipponDenso, Denso US, climate control design. Second issue is probably that it is FWD which can be extremely hazardous in adverse, slippery roadbed conditions. The F/AWD version of the RX300 series used a (mostly non-functional) VC, Viscous Clutch to "stiffen" the drive to the rear whereas the later models, RX330/350, simply rely on TC, Traction Control, braking and engine dethrottling for LSD virtualization. So insofar as safety is concerned the F/AWD version is probably just as hazardous in wintertime conditions as is the FWD.

It would help if you would describe your shifting problem with the '04 RX330. Starting in '04 Lexus used the DBW, e-throttle, system to ENFORCE a delay (some say 1-2 seconds) in acceleration, subsequent to a full lift-throttle event when/if the transaxle needed to downshift to support the level of acceleration required. There remain complaints of this delay/hesitation problem all the way into the '08 model year for some FWD Toyota/lexus vehicles.

I currently own a 2001 AWD RX300 with close to 70,000 miles and fully expect to see a transaxle failure prior to 100,000 miles as a result of the obvious overheating of the ATF.

Wow! FWD is hazardous in the snow.

Despite all of the ramblings of a few gurus this car is a great in the snow. Nothing hazardous, just the opposite.

Anyone feel like this is similar to a global warming debate? If someone keeps saying something enough times it becomes true?

Lets play a game.

Can we get a second vote that FWD is hazardous in the snow?

How about the people with RX300's with AWD, sucks right?

Gota be at least two of you out there.

I'm a newbie on this list but add me to the list of tranmission failures for an 02 rx300 awd at 79,000 miles. Lexus of Toledo or is it Dave White Lexus, immediately offered to pay half the bill as a good will gesture. Their original quote was $4200 ($2100). After reading the first 18 pages of this discussion I asked them to pay 100%.

They told me to call Lexus customer service. The customer service rep told me some of the transmissions have sludge and are fully covered. I asked him three times if he meant the engines and he said "no, it's sludge in the transmission." I asked if he was refering to issues about the transmission fluid and again he said no it's sludge.

I again called the dealer service department who said that customer service was obviously confused.

I again called customer service talked with a different rep and they opened a file for review and will give me an answer in 2 days.

I explained that I had previously owned a Previa and had 250,000 miles with original engine and tranny. The Lexus was bought new to replace the Previa and I was disappointed at needing a tranny at 79,000. I had planned to buy or lease a second Lexus in the future but maybe I should just scrounge around for a used Previa instead.

Lenore, I would appreciate a web site or phone number for reporting my transmission failure on the turnpike as a safety issue. My speed dropped from 70 to 35mph. I pulled over and after the car cooled down it went smoothly at 65 for the next 100 miles. I limped home after exiting the turnpike and had to tow the next day.

Ron

Hello all,

Okay, first, the RX is NOT a "BAD" design.

But frankly, were I buying today my first considerations would go to the Acura SH-AWD or the BMW X3/5. Or maybe the new Infiniti EX35 provided it isn't as UGLY as its brethren.

There are some traditional problems with the RX in that it uses a flawed, SERIOUSLY flawed, NipponDenso, Denso US, climate control design. Second issue is probably that it is FWD which can be extremely hazardous in adverse, slippery roadbed conditions. The F/AWD version of the RX300 series used a (mostly non-functional) VC, Viscous Clutch to "stiffen" the drive to the rear whereas the later models, RX330/350, simply rely on TC, Traction Control, braking and engine dethrottling for LSD virtualization. So insofar as safety is concerned the F/AWD version is probably just as hazardous in wintertime conditions as is the FWD.

It would help if you would describe your shifting problem with the '04 RX330. Starting in '04 Lexus used the DBW, e-throttle, system to ENFORCE a delay (some say 1-2 seconds) in acceleration, subsequent to a full lift-throttle event when/if the transaxle needed to downshift to support the level of acceleration required. There remain complaints of this delay/hesitation problem all the way into the '08 model year for some FWD Toyota/lexus vehicles.

I currently own a 2001 AWD RX300 with close to 70,000 miles and fully expect to see a transaxle failure prior to 100,000 miles as a result of the obvious overheating of the ATF.

Oh wow, its a terrible shift.. Its almost like a jerking... I apologize that I don't know all the correct terms, I just know that when I am driving, between 20-30mph, there is a jerking that happens, it seems like the RX can't seem to figure out what shift to go to. It is so bad that Lexus is buying back my car, after involving the national center for dispute settlement.

I test drove the BMW X5 and the drive is much harder than what I am looking for. The infiniti, horrible look, I can't stand to see myself in it..

Lexus assured me that this problem doesn't happen in any of the 350's and I have had some loaners for over a period of time an never felt it... But if I can hear from current owners of the 350, they could tell me if this is what they have to deal with too..

And the 2009 model is coming out... is it even worth it... goodness gracious... help please?

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would update this list. I have called Lexus customer service 8 times. They deny any knowledge or complaints about transmission failures. I will find out on my case on Monday if they will absorb any further cost of repair. The dealer offered to cover half of the repair but I am asking for 100% coverage.

Neuf150

Just thought I would update this list. I have called Lexus customer service 8 times. They deny any knowledge or complaints about transmission failures. I will find out on my case on Monday if they will absorb any further cost of repair. The dealer offered to cover half of the repair but I am asking for 100% coverage.

Neuf150

That is just dandy, I know of at least 50 people that have complained and they dont know of any complaints???? Yipes, Lexus the car company that cares:::????? Sorry you own a vehicle that in their eyes is a dead product, However the dealerships sure are willing to soak you dry. Hey the price you are getting is better than an independent transmission shop, so at least feel that you are getting a good deal. Again make sure to have it serviced at 15k miles intervals after the fix. The car really is nice when it is running. I still like mine, but am very dissappointed with Lexus of America. Good luck in your quest, I will cross my fingers for you and hope they step up to the bat. Keep us informed.

Neuf150

They know all too well about the transmission problem. That's why they are now recommending a flush every 15-30k miles, because the fluid overheats and burns up over time.. The lifetime transmission fluid doesn't quite make it. Personally, I think the factors in overheating are the weight of the vehicle, the underpowering of the vehicle, and the AWD transaxle that probably requires a more efficient cooling system. Anyway, I'm just going to continue having mine flushed until they wear out.

Neuf150

They know all too well about the transmission problem. That's why they are now recommending a flush every 15-30k miles, because the fluid overheats and burns up over time.. The lifetime transmission fluid doesn't quite make it. Personally, I think the factors in overheating are the weight of the vehicle, the underpowering of the vehicle, and the AWD transaxle that probably requires a more efficient cooling system. Anyway, I'm just going to continue having mine flushed until they wear out.

I still wonder who in Lexus is recommending the flush every 15-30K to you. I find this odd when most Lexus dealers don't even have a flush machine. It sounds like a dealer with a flush machine out to maximize profit.

I am not trying to debate benefits of flush just asking a simple question. I am on a 15k drain and fill schedule which is about the same end result of a 30k flush schedule. I have nothing against a flush except small chance of moving debris around and the cost. Plus it's not a DIY project except for the method of disconnecting one of the cooler lines and using the trans to pump the fluid out. I may even have a flush done if I am at the Toyota dealer for any future work.

A few dealers do have flush machines, I know in Salt Lake City they do, When My tranny failed we tried that to see if we could get it to recover. I was a long way from home, (Sacramento) but no good. By the way they only charged $140 for it. By the way does anybody find this interesting that there are so many views and 29 pages discussed about tranny failures. It just grows by the month. We need to send this crap to Lexus of AMerica and show how they have never heard of any problems. There are lots of cases where they did respond to the failures because of customer loyalty. Man they make me burn............

Neuf150

I still wonder who in Lexus is recommending the flush every 15-30K to you. I find this odd when most Lexus dealers don't even have a flush machine. It sounds like a dealer with a flush machine out to maximize profit.

I am not trying to debate benefits of flush just asking a simple question. I am on a 15k drain and fill schedule which is about the same end result of a 30k flush schedule. I have nothing against a flush except small chance of moving debris around and the cost. Plus it's not a DIY project except for the method of disconnecting one of the cooler lines and using the trans to pump the fluid out. I may even have a flush done if I am at the Toyota dealer for any future work.

When at only 40,000 miles I discovered that the ATF in my '01 AWD RX300 appeared to be, and smelled, burned I contacted Lexus directly and their response was that I should contact my dealer.

Sure.

I had not contacted the dealer initially since I knew what their response would be, "empty your pockets".

But.

I contacted the dealer and was told that the recommended service interval for the ATF had been revised from NEVER to every 15,000 miles.

I didn't believe the dealer but Lexus informed me that yes, the dealer was giving me the straight scoop.

So I drained and refilled my ATF TWICE. The first time I was not aware of the need to separately drain the diff'l of ATF "trapped" there.

The second time I went ahead and dropped the pan. The bottom of the pan was covered with about 1/8" of what looked like ground up pencil lead. There were three magnets attached(attracted??) to inside of the pan but IMMHO no significant level of metal filings attached.

The "filter" turned out to be nothing more that a filter "screen", obviously designed more to keep large particles from re-entering the hydraulic system than doing any real filtering of the ATF. I would say that if anyone ever finds one of these filter screens even partially blocked then you have a serious problem on your hands.

Yes West, your right about the filter screen, the aftermarket filters are true filtering medium. I add an external filter to my system that is basically an old PH8 filter in size. Made by puralator. Adds almost a quart to the entire system as It hangs vertically in my car. But at least the fluid truely gets some filtering. Seems the Japanese dont believe in filters ie Honda, toyota, etc. I would do another drain and fill when you do your next regular oil change, you will find the fluid getting cleaner then.

Yes West, your right about the filter screen, the aftermarket filters are true filtering medium. I add an external filter to my system that is basically an old PH8 filter in size. Made by puralator. Adds almost a quart to the entire system as It hangs vertically in my car. But at least the fluid truely gets some filtering. Seems the Japanese dont believe in filters ie Honda, toyota, etc. I would do another drain and fill when you do your next regular oil change, you will find the fluid getting cleaner then.

I used to use that filter set up on other cars with good luck. Any concerns about line pressure dropping? Do they bypass if plugged?

I have noticed no change in shifts etc. The filter is so big I doubt if there is any line pressure loss. And I believe the filters all have a bypass, but I dont know. I mounted mine on the left frame below the battery area. It is very large and the filter is accessable after dropping the plastic skid pan.