Transmission Problems/failures with RX300 awd/fwd

tslex

Just thought I would update this list. I have called Lexus customer service 8 times. They deny any knowledge or complaints about transmission failures. I will find out on my case on Monday if they will absorb any further cost of repair. The dealer offered to cover half of the repair but I am asking for 100% coverage.

Neuf150

2nd update:

After an additional 6 calls to customer service and the dealer the original $4200 transmission cost was reduced to $1100. I told them I thought they needed to put out a recall and pay 100% but would settle since they were paying about 75%. I started every day for over 2 weeks calling the dealer and calling customer service until I got an answer. The car runs great and shifts smooth. I'm just not confident it will make it to 230,000 like our Previa.

Neuf150

Were you the original owner of the RX and did your have your vehicle serviced only by Lexus for the scheduled maintenance? Lexus quoted my transmission good will at $1,700 from my pocket, and I was second owner and Toyota, not Lexus, handled the maintannce.

We had a 03 RX AWD Tranny die @ 48k. It was services from day 1 @ lexus. Since then we have had the tranny services every 15k, and now we are past the 80k mark, and was looking to get another RX. Was looking @ 06 RX 330, does the 330s have tranny problems, or has it been corrected. I havnt seen many complaints about them.

I cannot find the post I made this morning to this forum, so will repost to this discussion. Sorry for any duplication.

Some of you may have read my post back in October in the Lexus Owners Club forum, where we first noticed a two "klunk" sequence on backing out of the home garage. Pulled forward and found that with the shift lever in Reverse, the transmission would not engage. Next morning, I gave the engine more throttle with the lever in reverse and something slipped into place in the transmission and reverse gear worked. The problem returned several time that day, and always after leaving the stuck vehicle for 30 minutes or so, reverse would work. Reported this issue to Kendall Lexus in Eugene, 125 miles away and had the ATF drained and refilled. RX had 66,000 miles at that time and was 1.5 years beyond the 6 year/70,000 mile drivetrain warranty.

Problem went away until earlier in April 2008, when Drive Gear began having the same "klunk" noise. Last week, the wife managed to drive (cold ATF in the morning) 100 yards before another "klunk" was heard and grinding in the transmission. Fortunately, we had been documenting every heartbeat of the RX gear issue since October and communicating with Lexus Customer Care. We even filed a complaint at the NHTSA OIC. Let the vehicle sit 2 hrs and could still not get Reverse to engage when the shift lever was in Reverse position. In neutral, I could freewheel on the gentle slope, so thought of trying to limp home in Drive and use Neutral to reverse my direction on the hill. Straddling both lanes of my street, I slipped the RX into Neutral and could not freewheel. The gearbox seemed to be in Park. Drove forward one foot and tried Neutral and now could freewheel; slipped the lever into Reverse and heard something engage in the transmission and Reverse did function. Drove home the 100 yards and backed into the garage.

Lexus Customer Care in Torrance (1-800-255-3987) and they insisted that the local Toyota of Bend dealer could not conduct any good will warranty inspection and we would need to drive over the snowy mountain pass to Eugene and the Lexus dealer. Emailed all the history to the Torrance CC folks at Lexus Customer Satisfaction [Customer_Satisfaction_Inquiries@lexus.com]

My wife (with broken leg and crutches) and I began the journey to Eugene on Monday this week and got 0.7 mile and at 20 mph the transmission began making a low frequency rumble and vibration similar to a manual clutch slipping, ie. clutch chattering. Pulled to the side of the roadway and cycled the shifter through the gear selections. Gently moved out in forward gear and had no more problems enroute to Kendall Lexus of Eugene. The excellent service staff had an RX350 ready for us and took our RX300 into evaluation. The service manager called yesterday to say that they too had observed the chatter and upon pulling the pan down, noticed numerous metal fragments, as the transmission was trying to digest itself.

The deal that came back from Torrance was they would provide a good will service at 50% and the dealer helped reduce our expense down to a total out-of-pocket of $1,700.00 We thanked the Torrance folks for their offer and accepted the deal. Meanwhile, we have free use of the 350 loaner.

My personal non-mechanic thoughts are that the TSB 00504 relating to the five solenoid switches may bear on the eventual failure. Once the solenoids de-energize over a couple of hours of roadside rest, things work properly...for awhile. The U140E/F (Camry or RAV4?) transmission in the RX300 is extremely complicated, relying on firmware and solenoid switches to get some fuel economy from the vehicle. All of the 10K - 15K ATF changes/drains/flushes could be addressing contamination associated with these switches or the things (are there really 6 clutches in this U140? Wow) they operate. I have asked the service manager to confirm that a 2001+ replacement transmission will be used in my repair, so we hope that any improvements will have been included in that transmission.

Your description of problems with reverse gear are very similar to ours. Maybe you can save the transmission by changing the screen/gasket and draining on the accelerated 10K-15K schedule, using the ATF already specified in this forum. Good luck and drop at line sometime baileybc2007@gmail.com

You are very fortunate. usually the good will only comes with 100%Lexus service. Good for you, As for the rest of us we just suck it in and ate $4300 for the fix. And that was with fluid changes every 30k with filter screen.

If the RX transmission is so bad, why don't Toyota Highlander owners have the same complaint? It's the SAME engine and drivetrain. Search the Highlander forums and you'll find few, if any, transmission complaints. Its already been posted that Consumers Reports shows no transmission issues either. If anyone were to highlight a problem with the RX unit it would be CR. The only other comment is that if, and when, transmission service is performed you MUST use the Toyota Type IV transmission fluid.

Actually I belive the transmission issue is with 99/00 and maybe 01? models. I think the highlander came out in 02/03 after the problem (whatever it was) was "fixed"

The U140F AWD transaxle was used in the 98-03 RX300, the 01-03 Highlander and the 00-03 RAV4. The U140E (the two wheel drive unit) was used in the 98-03 RX300, 01-03 Highlander, 99-01 ES300 and the 2002 Camry.

if yours has not exploded yet, get the fluid drained, drop the pan, get a new tranny filter, and use amsoil atf...

Add another RX300 (2000) to the list of transmissions going bad. Car has 108,000 miles on it. Transmission went out on a stretch of I-65 where there was construction. Didn't even have an emergency lane in which to pull off.

Had to have the car towed to Merrillville Indiana, which is about 250 miles from home.

Now I learn there have been a lot of transmission failures with the 2000 RX300.

Good luck my friend, make sure you file a complaint with the NHTSA online. the count keeps going higher. By the way was your car AWD (All wheel drive)?

Friends, I have an 01 RX300 w/79000 miles. about 77K of that was first owner, and elder lady who took it to Lexus dealer for every hiccup.

I have been involved in another vehicle forum very similar to this one in the past, and the action of that group resulted in a recall of ALL vehicles: the good/bad/ugly for a transmission Circlip re-do ... well, there was another component involved, but basically it was a couple of cheap parts that would 'let go' with wear, and grenade the transmission.

That recall happened this way:

- the unhappy owners, which were fewer than on this thread, ganged up on NHTSA and begged for an investigation to be opened

- a few of the activist owners wrote letters to their US Senators and congressmen, and complained to the State Attorneys General

- my brother, a highly respected Trial Lawyer [i know... oxym....] wrote a letter on his letterhead to a U.S. Senator for his state, and that Senator happend to sit on the Transportation committee [whatever its formal name][. That Senator sent a letter to the bureau head suggesting that the interests of the owners needed to come first. Within a week, an official investigation was opened, and the Investigator was put on the job.

That investigator was an ace who had very deep knowledge of automotive matters. The whole thing was wrapped up in about one month of real work, which involved him documenting in a prescribed way all the complaints, and then interviewing a number of owners who had incurred the issue.

The company recall came out about two months after they agreed with the investigator that 'action was warranted' or words to that effect.

This group is plenty big enough, and the data, though informal, is persuasive-enough to make this happen.

I suggest that someone here who has spent the big bucks on a tranny overhaul serve as the Lead on this project, sharing an email address and/or phone, and that we methodically continue to collect the data, and that we all write our US Senators for our states, and complain.

My reading of this is that they have a serious issue, they know it [there's enough evidence from owner experiences to indict Lexus mgmt for KNOWING there is a problem, implicitly acknowledging such, and yet failing to act responsibly.

I"m amazed that someone has not incurred a Wreck due to this issue. If this were a motorcycle, there would be obituaries.

And - everyone needs to be aware that Lexus has shown evidence via the engine special-settlement that they do regard their responsibility [if they accept responsibility] as being associated with the VIN - not with the owner. There is firm precedent for it. And their maintenance requirements on the tranny are vague, in my view. That does not excuse the owner, but if the owner [like the PO in my case] takes the vehicle in on time for every oil change, for the timing and serpentine belts at 75K, and Lexus does NOT service the transmission [like the elderly lady is supposed to be a maintenance wiz....], then shame on them.

I say we go after them... They are the biggest auto corp IN THE WORLD. 'big car'....

Good luck my friend, make sure you file a complaint with the NHTSA online. the count keeps going higher. By the way was your car AWD (All wheel drive)?

I just got off the phone with Lexus of Merrillville Indiana. They will replace my transmission for half the original quote- $2400.

For now, I'm okay with that, BUT-- that's only because there is just the suspicion of an inherent flaw at this point.

I would love to recoup my $2400 some day with a settlement if Lexus ever admits there was an inherent problem.

• 2 weeks later...
To Teslex

The transmission problems you are having with your rx300 seems to be all to common....you did not list the symptoms or problems of the transmission.....

I have a 99 rx300 awd it now has 110k on it but at the 80k mark I began having transmission trouble I was told the same as you 4500 to5000 dollars to replace it .....I thought this is rediculous for this vehicle this is a Lexus the transmission shud never give us this kind of problem... after a lot a research and trying a few different avenues this is what I found....

If your symptoms are neutralizing, it is in drive or reverse yet acts like it is in neutral..... most likely the screen filter is clogged......if you dont mind getting under you vehicle and getting alittle dirty you can drop your own fluid and clean the screen yourself and replace with new fluid....note the dealer charges about 300 dollars to do this they will also flush out all the old fluid which is about 15 qts......when I did this it was good for about 8 to 10

thousand miles and my rx started doing the same thing again....what was happening is the metal clutches were not getting the proper lubrication and the torque converter was not either.....so I had the dealer flush the transmission again and clean the screen filter and this time when I had them replace the fluid I added a product called TRANSMATIC this product thins the transmission fluid to help it get to the critical parts it should. So far

I must say my transmission shifts like it was new.....

Now I admit we should never have had this problem until after many more miles but we have it and I hope this helps you and others out there....good luck..

roanokebarry

:D Thank you! Thank You! Thank You!

This solution worked for me. I have a 2001 RX300 AWD and by simply changing the transmission filter and fluid it solved the problem. It works great now!

:D :D :D

• 4 months later...

hello, i just read the last page in this 31 page thread. i have a 1999 rx300 awd that had TWO trannys replaced within about two weeks. this was a few years ago but i have kept all paperwork since i bought the car. i was told that this particular tranny had problems and that there had been others that had had theirs replaced also.

i was and am a stickler about maintenance, esp. oil changes + filters. we bought it used with 30K. used mobile one after having that approved by service manager. changed every 3K in the beginning years. i was not made aware of changing tranny fluid as often as it appears i should have.

Hi Lenore!

How does one file a complaint with NHTSA on-line?

Thanks!

Paul

Hi Lenore!

How does one file a complaint with NHTSA on-line?

Thanks!

Paul

Sorry - Done. Have files a complaint re: the rear engine seal at 68K miles. Probably to no avail, but nothing lost.

Tks.again - Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hope someone can guide me in my dilemma !

I took my 99 Rx 300 for 100K servicing last week (got ripped off for $1000 but thats another story)

Current Odometer reading : 99400

Lexus told me that my transmission is dying and needs to be replaced ! I couldnt believe it since I have never faced any problem with respect to the transmission and when I drove the vehicle to the dealer it was perfectly fine. I asked them how much is it going to cost and they told me about $4100.

I took my car to another mechanic who did a fluid change for me. He said the transmission fluid was red/burnt but not really bad !

Do I go for a transmission change with Lexus? Note that, I havent noticed any problem while driving.

Could it be a ploy to make quick buck on lexus dealer's part?

Suggestions welcome !

BTW, I have extended warranty coverage on the powertrain till 100000 but dont want Lexus to open up a perfectly fine transmission and screw up a whole bunch of things in the process.

Bottomline is should I go ahead and get the transmission changed @ the lexus dealer?

These transmissions are notorious for going out (mine went out on my '99 at 135K), but usually there are some indications first. Mine had a transmission pump whine. If you changed your fluids and your transmission is operating correctly, then I would just keep on driving it. Why would you have it replaced? If the cost is $4100K, then it doesn't sound like the warranty is covering anything, for my transmission replacement at an indie shop was just under $4000K, and that's with no warranty coverage of any kind. Sounds like there is no rush to have anything done to try and get it completed before the warranty is up.

Bottom line, I wouldn't work on something that isn't broken, especially if you just had it maintenanced and it's working well. If your transmission does go out, and you've diligently brought your vehicle to the dealer for maintenance, then I'd have them split some of the cost with you (they have for others). If they won't, then I'd go to a nice indie shop for replacement or rebuild. If you search on here, some people have had their original trannies rebuilt for much less than replacement... just find a good shop, for these are some of the most difficult transmissions to rebuild and get to perform to spec.

These transmissions are notorious for going out (mine went out on my '99 at 135K), but usually there are some indications first. Mine had a transmission pump whine. If you changed your fluids and your transmission is operating correctly, then I would just keep on driving it. Why would you have it replaced? If the cost is $4100K, then it doesn't sound like the warranty is covering anything, for my transmission replacement at an indie shop was just under $4000K, and that's with no warranty coverage of any kind. Sounds like there is no rush to have anything done to try and get it completed before the warranty is up.

Bottom line, I wouldn't work on something that isn't broken, especially if you just had it maintenanced and it's working well. If your transmission does go out, and you've diligently brought your vehicle to the dealer for maintenance, then I'd have them split some of the cost with you (they have for others). If they won't, then I'd go to a nice indie shop for replacement or rebuild. If you search on here, some people have had their original trannies rebuilt for much less than replacement... just find a good shop, for these are some of the most difficult transmissions to rebuild and get to perform to spec.

Lexus dealer did tell me that the extended warranty should cover the cost ! I am going to clarify if I will have to pay anything from my pocket.

I am not the original owner of the vehicle ! So dont know for sure if it was maintained properly and serviced at the same dealer.

I dont trust the dealer and cant really come to the terms that the transmission is dying ! Maybe thats true, but could it be another gimmick to rob customers?

I was thinking about talking with them and ensuring that I dont have to pay anything for the cost (not even for labor) and asking for some warranty on the changed transmission.

Lexus dealer did tell me that the extended warranty should cover the cost ! I am going to clarify if I will have to pay anything from my pocket.

I am not the original owner of the vehicle ! So dont know for sure if it was maintained properly and serviced at the same dealer.

I dont trust the dealer and cant really come to the terms that the transmission is dying ! Maybe thats true, but could it be another gimmick to rob customers?

I was thinking about talking with them and ensuring that I dont have to pay anything for the cost (not even for labor) and asking for some warranty on the changed transmission.

Given the high failure rate of the transmissions on the RX300, and the often less than helpful attitude of Lexus, I would most definitely have a new transmission put in (or the od repaired) if the would be done under warranty. It is likely that your transmission will fail, otherwise, when you will be 'out' of warranty.

Yeah, if it's covered under warranty, who wouldn't want a new replacement transmission, even if yours still has many miles left in it. I would be exceptionally surprised if they are willing to foot the bill, and I would be flabbergasted if they actually suggested to do it before the warranty expired so that it's covered, especially knowing you aren't the original owner and don't know all the maintenance history. If they say they will cover the cost, jump on that offer, but be sure to get it in writing they are going to cover everything!

Win Win? Maybe they need the work? The dealership doesn't take the hit, who holds the warranty does. So, they need the work, and you have a problem prone tranny with moderate mileage on it. You're then a happy customer and hopefully will return! Ask them if they'll do mime too! :cheers:

• 4 months later...

Oh drat! Just got a call from my wife. She reported that the car wouldn't go in reverse this morning and made some clunking sounds. After a few moments it clunked again and started work. It also continued to make some clunks while backing up. Later, it stalled at a stop light (which it's never done before).

It's a 2001 (bought in July of that year) RX-300 with about 90,000 miles. I recently (1,000 to 3,000 miles ago) drained the transmission fluid, replaced the filter with a Toyota original and refilled with Toyota ATF.

From what I've read, this sounds like the death knell for the transmission. It's been 100% trouble free until now. Anyone care to comment on what steps to take next?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

"Oh drat! Just got a call from my wife. "

I have a 2000 Rx300 with 96K miles. Though clunking and loss of reverse sounds like transmission problem, stalling at stop lights sounds like a dirty idle air control valve, another very common problem on this vehicle. It's straightforward to clean it, but it's a little beyond what the person who just does oil changes will probably want to get into. Dealers won't clean it; they want you to buy new one for $400+ bucks. Contact your local reliable independent shop.

There's plenty of discussion on the internet about Rx300 transmission problems. I'd just add a couple of things. Consumer Reports surveys show transmission problems in this vehicle as being "average", which is a little worse than what we'd hope for a Toyota product, but not indicative of a dismal situation, as internet reading would have you believe. On the other hand, if it happens to you, of course it's dismal :angry: .

If the vehicle isn't dead, and you want to find out more, I highly recommend sending a sample of your used ATF to Blackstone Labs (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/index.html). They were reviewed in C & D last fall, and I've had them analyze my ATF a couple of times. Cheap yet comprehensive, and real people do the testing and communicate with you re results. They're happy to engage in some back-and-forth via email, and give their expert opinion :) . If you catch it in time, you can likely extend transmission life through more frequent ATF changes, and making sure the filter screen stays clean. I also recommend buying their pump for taking samples -- very well-made, professional-quality piece of gear that makes grabbing ATF and engine oil samples a snap.