Transmission Problems/failures with RX300 awd/fwd

tslex

Add one more to the list of people who lost a transmission (at 111,000). Followed all maintence requirements. Mostly highway miles. First car of mine in 30 years to lose a transmission. Even my olds mini-van made it to 225,000 with no trans problems. Really bad news as it had an auxiliary trans cooler with no heavy towing.

Good news is that no other significant problems as long as maintained. I replaced the trans with a rebuilt one which I hope goes another 100K or so.

lvc2 - Curious as to what year your RX 300 is. Just trying to be prepared at least mentally.

Great price on the transmission. Wish I had done the same. Lexus soaked me for $4300 . Thanks for that info.

Lenore, what warranty did you get on that fix?

I received a one year warranty with 12kmiles only. And that was from Lexus of Roseville, CA. They did a sucky job on my car and required another transmission and many follow up trips to repair the poor workmanship on my car. You would be better off at a tranny shop. By the way I have been asking everyone to file a complaint with the NHTS board online. YOu will need your vin #. the reports are starting to add up.

I too have a RX300 (2000, w/87k) that just received it's new transmission this week. We are still communicating with Lexus National about whether or not they will pick up any of the charges ($4197). When asked the service rep did say she has seen them chip in for some but not all of the the 4-5 she's seen in the last several years on this model.

I have a new question. I just received the car back this evening - drove home and about 3 miles from home the oil pressure light came on (the little oil can light). Since I did not know exactly what the light was for (I thought maybe low oil) and because it kept going on and off, I continued driving the remaing 3-4 miles home. After checking the owners manual it says that this light is not a low oil light, but a low oil pressure light and do not drive, even a block, once that light comes on (even if flickering as mine was doing).

My question is this - when replacing the transmission is there something disconnected from the engine that would control the oil pressure? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if having the transmission replaced has anything to do with my oil pressure problem? I have no clue what has to be moved, disconnected in order for them to put the new transmission into the vehicle.

By time I got home - it was of course after hours for the service department. :unsure: Any insight?

First thing first, check the oil level. If it is good then dial in on the dealer !Removed! something up. Lexus of Roseville California went out of their way to mess stuff up ( crappy mechanics) Also suggest changing fluid every 15k miles from now on. One other thing, I hope you do not have an sludge problem in your engine. It is still under warranty for that problem and make Lexus check it.

First thing first, check the oil level. If it is good then dial in on the dealer !Removed! something up. Lexus of Roseville California went out of their way to mess stuff up ( crappy mechanics) Also suggest changing fluid every 15k miles from now on. One other thing, I hope you do not have an sludge problem in your engine. It is still under warranty for that problem and make Lexus check it.

I don't think the 2000 had the larger displacement ATF pump so it likely isn't subject to ATF overheating so routine or scheduled ATF drain and flush will be a total waste of money. It is, of course, worthwhile, as always, to check the condition of the ATF at each oil change period.

The initial transaxle failure was more likely the result of worn clutches due to the insufficient ATF pump pressure/flow for a second gear change in quick sucession to a previous one while at engine idle.

I just posted in the sludge thread - yep Lexus came back and said I had oil sludge in the engine and they'll replace it at their cost if I can produce oil change receipts for the time I've had the car (2 years). We promptly did that and are now waiting for the new engine to be installed.

WoW what a week, new transmission, new engine - Merry Christmas, huh?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hear of your compounded troubles. Don't you just love these lousy RX300s?!

I just experienced the Rx300 transmission failure this week, and am now waiting for the bad news from the Lexus dealership on how much this will cost me to repair. We wound up on the side of I-70 near Colby Kansas, and had to have the car towed back to Denver since there were no qualified dealerships anywhere close to where we broke down. I was not aware of this problem with the car - we have had no issues at all since we bought it in 2000 (new). We have had the car serviced at Lexus dealerships, following the schedule religiously. In fact, I just had the car in two days before the failure for the 95K service.

I was amazed to find out that Lexus designed such a cheesy transmission - the only tran I have ever replaced was in my first car, a 64 Dodge Polara! I would have hoped that a so-called luxury car would do better, since I have had Volvo's last for 200K+ without having to replace the transmission. I mentioned this forum to the dealer when I picked up a loaner car, and he immediately went into denial mode. I intend to go in armed with cases from this site, as well as the complaints already filed with the NHTSA and see what happens.

Has anyone considered filing a class action suit against Lexus. This is absolutely criminal - they are lucky that there have not been any accidents or injuries reported yet.

When you take it to Lexus tell them you expect them to replace the transmission on good will since they have performed all service. Use this technique and I wish you the best of luck. If they do not want to do it tow it too a independent transmission shop and save yourself a lot of money. Lexus will soak you for around $4300 for a rebuilt transmission. Also dont forget to file your complaint with NHTS board. We need to show a high failure rate. Also call Lexus of America and write and phone your displeasure with your failure. But definetly try the first technique of what you expect. RX of NC had success with this.

Sorry to hear of your compounded troubles. Don't you just love these lousy RX300s?!

I just experienced the Rx300 transmission failure this week, and am now waiting for the bad news from the Lexus dealership on how much this will cost me to repair. We wound up on the side of I-70 near Colby Kansas, and had to have the car towed back to Denver since there were no qualified dealerships anywhere close to where we broke down. I was not aware of this problem with the car - we have had no issues at all since we bought it in 2000 (new). We have had the car serviced at Lexus dealerships, following the schedule religiously. In fact, I just had the car in two days before the failure for the 95K service.

I was amazed to find out that Lexus designed such a cheesy transmission - the only tran I have ever replaced was in my first car, a 64 Dodge Polara! I would have hoped that a so-called luxury car would do better, since I have had Volvo's last for 200K+ without having to replace the transmission. I mentioned this forum to the dealer when I picked up a loaner car, and he immediately went into denial mode. I intend to go in armed with cases from this site, as well as the complaints already filed with the NHTSA and see what happens.

Has anyone considered filing a class action suit against Lexus. This is absolutely criminal - they are lucky that there have not been any accidents or injuries reported yet.

I would love to join a class action suit. My 99 RX tranny failed around 80K.

When you take it to Lexus tell them you expect them to replace the transmission on good will since they have performed all service. Use this technique and I wish you the best of luck. If they do not want to do it tow it too a independent transmission shop and save yourself a lot of money. Lexus will soak you for around $4300 for a rebuilt transmission. Also dont forget to file your complaint with NHTS board. We need to show a high failure rate. Also call Lexus of America and write and phone your displeasure with your failure. But definetly try the first technique of what you expect. RX of NC had success with this.

The dealership's response was to knock $400 off the price. Not exactly what I had been hoping for. I have already filed a complaint with the NHTS, and plan to call Lexus of America today. I wish that more owners would check out this (and other) bulletin boards - I would guess that most 1999/2000 models experience this failure. Somewhere along the line, Lexus will be forced to pony up for this defect. I plan to get it fixed and dump the car.

So you have searched and found very little.

Now you are ready to make your post.

First gather all the info you have on your question/problem.

This will help you make a intelligent question with accurate responses.

DO NOT MAKE MULTIPLE THREADS IN MORE THAN ONE FORUM. Doing that is referred to as spamming and all threads you make will be deleted.

Find the one that is most relevant . You will be advised if others think it belongs somewhere else.

So where do you want to make your thread. You have to choose which forum is more appropriate for your question.

There are specific forums for specific cars , under 90% of circumstances they should go in there.

The the other times it may fit other places such as ...............

Lexus Detailing and Car Care Forum

Forum to discuss making your Lexus look the business, waxes, polishes, techniques

It speaks for itself but anything to do with cleaning or refinishing your car belongs here. A car is a car and this is not a specific one.

Show and Shine

Just detailed your car? Post your pictures here, brag about it, fish for compliments, and generally show it off to all the other Lexus owners

Wheels and Tires Forums

Any tire and rim question belongs here , not in the vehicle forums. Why ? you ask ,because a tire is inherent to its properties , The car it is used on will not make a tire perform better only the other way around. Fitment issues also belong in this area if you are up sizing tires and rims.

Dealers & Pricing Forums

Forum to discuss and share your experiences with Lexus dealerships

So you went to a dealer and they washed your car and fixed your wipers for free and want to tell everyone else how good they are. Or a dealer washed your car broke your wipers and scratched your bumper then tried to overcharge you . Well they all belong here.

Buy & Sell Forums

Forum to advertise Lexus parts or parts for your Lexus -either for sale, or wanted to buy. No commercial trading allowed. Pretty self explanatory , you want to trade money for parts ,well do it here. If you do this for businesses or with more than one part you will be scrutinized and banned if needed. Many people think the LOC and its members are a person billboard. I hate spam in my email and even more on this board.

Club Events and Meetings Forums

Forum to arrange, setup and discuss meetings of the Lexus Owners Club. All Lexus models are welcome at meets.Pretty easy to know as well. You have local members getting together if you don't see anyone in your area post a thread in this section and others will follow. Also check the LOC map and add yourself to find others.

General Maintenance

Any question pertaining to Lexus / Toyota and oils, premium gas requirements or other lubrication and general parts inquires.

Workshop Tutorials

This section is for when you becomes an advanced members and have done some work to your car to remove or fix a part on it. Then you post in this section to tell other members how to do it with pics if you can. Please do not go here asking for how to do something otherwise it will get deleted and you will not get any help .

General Discussions

This is for any conversations on new/old technology or other car/vehicle developments.

First thing is the title , what should you call your post/baby.

This is all about marketing , many posts are overlooked because they are not titled correctly even though many others know the answer but you did not make it clear. Making a post saying "help me" , "what is this" or other vague useless titles are frowned upon as it shows you do not have the time to input your energy into your own problem and are looking for quick answers. You were always told you receive exactly what you put into something , well this is no different.

Make the year of the car in the title the model is not needed if it is in a specific forum.

What is your car doing or not doing? Now condense it to lets say for example

LS forum

91 not starting when hot

I don't know what to fix next?

This tells readers the important info if they might be able to help or not. Also lets others who might be searching know if the thread pertains to them at all.This way they can add what they have found and help both of you.

Now include all the info you have from previous repairs or modifications. Add any maintenance or accidents as well as this gives the reader a full picture on the car. You need the mileage how long you have had the car and anything else it does which may seem normal or irrelevant to you .

So you now have all the info to make a beautiful post with the answers you need. Now get going and have some fun as well as saving you some time money and effort.

Good luck.

We should use this forum as a pressure group and legal action group... Toyota Corp. and Dealers are business owners who like to make money. We are the consumers who pay them for a quality product at a fair price. If the product is shoddy and has significant design/ manufacturing flaws, we should force them to repair them free of charge through recalls and or legal action.

If you look through the club's postings, you will find that RX 300s have design flaws in transmission, brakes and engine (filter screen in transmission clogs up frequently, brakes require a special kit to make the front end stable--instead of shaking-- and narrow passages in the engine that produces sludge which harms the engines and make them burn oil). These flaws are also reported in ALLDATA.com, an online trouble shooting and repair manual.

I suggest we organize and start a class action lawsuit. How do we go about doing so?

My 2001 Lexus RX 300 had a transmission failure at 68,000 miles and was repaired by the dealer free of charge as the warrarnty was still in affect. I called Lexus and made them aware of the issue and was told that they do not consider the transmission faulty and that they will not do anything about it. I also contacted the NHTSA and made a complaint. I would like to be part of any class action suit that will ensure that this company stands behind thier product and corrects issues that pose a risk to public safety.

I would love to join a class action suit. My 99 RX tranny failed around 80K.

So the tranny saga goes on, Shame, Shame Lexus of America. Have you filed your complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Board Today?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

We should use this forum as a pressure group and legal action group... Toyota Corp. and Dealers are business owners who like to make money. We are the consumers who pay them for a quality product at a fair price. If the product is shoddy and has significant design/ manufacturing flaws, we should force them to repair them free of charge through recalls and or legal action.

If you look through the club's postings, you will find that RX 300s have design flaws in transmission, brakes and engine (filter screen in transmission clogs up frequently, brakes require a special kit to make the front end stable--instead of shaking-- and narrow passages in the engine that produces sludge which harms the engines and make them burn oil). These flaws are also reported in ALLDATA.com, an online trouble shooting and repair manual.

I suggest we organize and start a class action lawsuit. How do we go about doing so?

Try contacting the three law firms the won the successful settlement against Lexus for the oil sludge problem.

• 1 month later...

Do a google on "RX 300 Transmission failure" and you will see that a lot of these RX transmissions are failing.\

All, please be sure and report the problem at National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems...m?step=2&t- ype=1&year=1999&searchtype=DrillDown

If they find that there is a recurring pattern with transmission failures on RX300 models for 1999-2000, they will

investigate. Anyone running into premature RX300 transmission failure, please log you complaint at the

above URL.

=============

Hello:

Please lodge a complaint at the following site

Do a google on "RX 300 Transmission failure" and you will see that a lot of these RX transmissions are failing. Be sure and report the problem at National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems...m?step=2&t- ype=1&year=1999&searchtype=DrillDown

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has taken a note of this issue and if they find there is a pattern of

transmission failures, thue will investigate. But please do fill a complaint first.

I have repeatedly given that suggestion out to everyone when they have a transmission failure. But It takes a lot of time and really a safety issue before the NHTS board gets off their butts. It is truely a shame that Toyota, the number 1 car company in the United states will not support their product through Lexus their affiliate. Great cars, lousy tranny. The failures keep rolling in. I wish their was a data base at transmission shops showing the failure rate.

If you browse about your will find owner complaints of throttle lag or engine delay/hesitation for Ford, VW, Toyota, Lexus and others, all concerning vehicles with automatic transmissions and mostly FWD or front biased AWD vehicles.

It is my firm belief that sometime in the mid to late ninties someone, or some group, with TONS of clout over the automtive industry issued an edict that the safety of FWD and front torque biased AWD had to be brought into line with their RWD and rear torque biased AWD brotheren.

My vote goes to the automotive insurance industry. Accident statistics most readily available, certainly with the CLOUT and enough synergy with the industry to want to keep this on the QT.

The safety issue involved the potential for loss of directional control due to engine braking, especially FRONT engine braking, in wintertime adverse roadbed conditions. There is also the issue of the potential for engine braking to interfere with ABS, again especially detrimental for FWD vehicles.

So, late in the last century the shift pattern/schedule was revised across the industry to address the safety issue. The new shift pattern dictated that anytime there was a FULL lift-throttle action by the driver the transaxle would be quickly upshifted so as to prevent any significant level of engine braking.

The problem that quickly arose from this change was that if the driver quickly returned to acceleration "mode" the engine was now at idle and the just previously commended upshift would deplete the ATF pressure/flow reserve. With little or no ATF pressure/flow available the subsequent downshift due to the driver's re-application of pressure to the gas pedal could not be quickly completed.

As evidence of Lexus has now replaced a LOT of early RX300 transaxles.

By 2001 Lexus had figured out the problem and increased the displacement of the ATF oil pump, gear type oil pump, to provide more pressure/flow at engine idle.

So, the 2001 RX300's, even with all equipped with the extra ATF cooling via the tow package, OVERHEATS the ATF to the point that the recommended traansaxle ATF service interval has declined from infinity (the life of the vehicle actually) to every 15,000 miles.

What to do, what to do...??

Oh, I know, let's use DBW, e-throttle, to delay the onset of engine torque until the subsequent downshift can be completed, the clutches firmly seated.

So the RX330 used the old standard ATF gear pump displacement but was equipped with DBW "to protect the drive train".

Regretably some one else in engineering had already decided that the VC, Viscous Clutch, in the AWD version was contributing to the overheating of the ATF and so it was removed, not to return until the advent of the RX350.

Is Lexus listening, do you suppose?

The final FIX...

SNOW mode...Assuming the new shift pattern upshift technique is to help alleviate accidents due to loss of directional control arising for engine braking, why not just have a SNOW mode that can be activated by the driver, by a rain sensor, or if the OAT hovers around or below freezing?

Upon a full lift-throttle event in SNOW mode the transaxle would remain in the same gear ratio (ready to SURGE forward on command) but the engine RPM, via DBW, would not be allowed to fall enough to provide a significant level of engine braking to the driven wheels, FRONT, rear, or ALL.

Absent being in SNOW mode the shift pattern could be the same as it was pre-2000, NO upshifting on full lift-throttle events.

No HIGH potential for engine braking, FRONT especially, to put your life at risk or interfere with ABS if the roadbed traction is satisfactory.

I guess on second thought ABS interference via engine braking might still be an issue. But that could addressed by keeping the upshift pattern but delaying it until the brakes are applied.

If you browse about your will find owner complaints of throttle lag or engine delay/hesitation for Ford, VW, Toyota, Lexus and others, all concerning vehicles with automatic transmissions and mostly FWD or front biased AWD vehicles.

It is my firm belief that sometime in the mid to late ninties someone, or some group, with TONS of clout over the automtive industry issued an edict that the safety of FWD and front torque biased AWD had to be brought into line with their RWD and rear torque biased AWD brotheren.

My vote goes to the automotive insurance industry. Accident statistics most readily available, certainly with the CLOUT and enough synergy with the industry to want to keep this on the QT.

The safety issue involved the potential for loss of directional control due to engine braking, especially FRONT engine braking, in wintertime adverse roadbed conditions. There is also the issue of the potential for engine braking to interfere with ABS, again especially detrimental for FWD vehicles.

So, late in the last century the shift pattern/schedule was revised across the industry to address the safety issue. The new shift pattern dictated that anytime there was a FULL lift-throttle action by the driver the transaxle would be quickly upshifted so as to prevent any significant level of engine braking.

The problem that quickly arose from this change was that if the driver quickly returned to acceleration "mode" the engine was now at idle and the just previously commended upshift would deplete the ATF pressure/flow reserve. With little or no ATF pressure/flow available the subsequent downshift due to the driver's re-application of pressure to the gas pedal could not be quickly completed.

As evidence of Lexus has now replaced a LOT of early RX300 transaxles.

By 2001 Lexus had figured out the problem and increased the displacement of the ATF oil pump, gear type oil pump, to provide more pressure/flow at engine idle.

So, the 2001 RX300's, even with all equipped with the extra ATF cooling via the tow package, OVERHEATS the ATF to the point that the recommended traansaxle ATF service interval has declined from infinity (the life of the vehicle actually) to every 15,000 miles.

What to do, what to do...??

Oh, I know, let's use DBW, e-throttle, to delay the onset of engine torque until the subsequent downshift can be completed, the clutches firmly seated.

So the RX330 used the old standard ATF gear pump displacement but was equipped with DBW "to protect the drive train".

Regretably some one else in engineering had already decided that the VC, Viscous Clutch, in the AWD version was contributing to the overheating of the ATF and so it was removed, not to return until the advent of the RX350.

Is Lexus listening, do you suppose?

The final FIX...

SNOW mode...Assuming the new shift pattern upshift technique is to help alleviate accidents due to loss of directional control arising for engine braking, why not just have a SNOW mode that can be activated by the driver, by a rain sensor, or if the OAT hovers around or below freezing?

Upon a full lift-throttle event in SNOW mode the transaxle would remain in the same gear ratio (ready to SURGE forward on command) but the engine RPM, via DBW, would not be allowed to fall enough to provide a significant level of engine braking to the driven wheels, FRONT, rear, or ALL.

Absent being in SNOW mode the shift pattern could be the same as it was pre-2000, NO upshifting on full lift-throttle events.

No HIGH potential for engine braking, FRONT especially, to put your life at risk or interfere with ABS if the roadbed traction is satisfactory.

I guess on second thought ABS interference via engine braking might still be an issue. But that could addressed by keeping the upshift pattern but delaying it until the brakes are applied.

=======================

Hello wwest:

Thanks so much for your detailed explanation. Are you also affected? Lexus will have to listen, I have been in talks with them

the last 2 weeks. I think they know the problem but are not willing to admit the flaw. But if sufficient people unite and get

together, the we have a case and Lexus will be forced to fix this.

I will send an update early next week on this.

Do a google on "RX 300 Transmission failure" and you will see that a lot of these RX transmissions are failing.\

All, please be sure and report the problem at National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

If they find that there is a recurring pattern with transmission failures on RX300 models for 1999-2000, they will

investigate. Anyone running into premature RX300 transmission failure, please log you complaint at the

above URL.

=============

Hello:

Please lodge a complaint at the following site

Do a google on "RX 300 Transmission failure" and you will see that a lot of these RX transmissions are failing. Be sure and report the problem at National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has taken a note of this issue and if they find there is a pattern of

transmission failures, thue will investigate. But please do fill a complaint first.

============================

Can we talk? Please reply to my mail and I WILL SEND YOU MY EMAIL ADDRESS.

• 4 months later...

Mikey00 said:

"Anyone else find it odd that in the Consumer Reports annual car realibility(sic) survey the 00 through 03 RX receive the highest possible rating in the transmission catagory?"

No, I don't find it a bit odd. There are, as of now, a total of 45,600 posts on this board. 298, or less than seven-tenths of one percent of those are related to transmission problems (and I think probably half of those came from Lenore!). There isn't a single car manufacturer out there that doesn't produce a few lemons. I tried to google what is the average percentage of lemons per manufacturer but had no luck, so I have no idea if .007 out of 100 is high, low, or normal, but it sure doesn't seem outrageous to me.

Or is my math flawed?

Mags

Mikey00 said:

"Anyone else find it odd that in the Consumer Reports annual car realibility(sic) survey the 00 through 03 RX receive the highest possible rating in the transmission catagory?"

No, I don't find it a bit odd. There are, as of now, a total of 45,600 posts on this board. 298, or less than seven-tenths of one percent of those are related to transmission problems (and I think probably half of those came from Lenore!). There isn't a single car manufacturer out there that doesn't produce a few lemons. I tried to google what is the average percentage of lemons per manufacturer but had no luck, so I have no idea if .007 out of 100 is high, low, or normal, but it sure doesn't seem outrageous to me.

Or is my math flawed?

Mags

You math is correct; however, IMHO, the percentage of trans related posts on this forum has absolutely nothing to do with the relative quality/reliability of the RX AWD tranny. If 50% or 95% of the posts were trans related it would still mean nothing. What is needed, but apparently not known, is the actual failure rate for cars which have been properly maintained. I imagine Toyota has a good handle on this but their number is probably low since not all failures are reported to them. What Toyota does know but hasn't yet admitted is whether their engineers deemed it necessary to make fundamental design changes to correct unacceptably low reliability.

Having said all that, several posters, including me, have reported that Lexus techs and/or service managers have admitted, off-the-record, that RX trans have fundamental design issues. Add that to my personal experience that trans fluid becomes muddy brown after 15k miles of easy driving and the number of dealers offering/recommending frequent trans fluid flushes, I think you can safely assume something is very wrong.

There might be a clue in the fact that you still cannot buy an RX3x0 without the towing package, which INCLUDES an ATF auxilary cooling heat exchanger. ALL option "packages" for '08 include the towing kit.

Just how many RX3x0 buyers expect to tow...??