Transmission Problems/failures with RX300 awd/fwd

tslex

All you can do is call the dealership and ask, But since it is a 99 I suspect they would be more than happy to look at it but for heavens sake dont let them replace your transmission. ($4500) If they say the tranny is toast, take it to an independent, trusted tranny shop, you will save at least a $1000 . Good luck, hope it is just a dirty filter or bad solenoid...

I would take it to Lexus first and "beat" up on them a bit before going to a third party. Not denegrating third parties it's just that Lexus is VERY WELL acquainted with the premature transaxle problems of the '99 (possibly '00 too) RX300 and has been making concessions (monetary, labor, parts..) to owners, especually those with good maintainance records and more especially with those having had Lexus do all or at least some of the maintenance.

'99 RX300 transaxles are failing prematurely, under 100k miles typically, because of a FWD safety improvement firmware change made in the engine/transaxle ECU programming.

DBW was adopted with the RX330 as a temporary fix for the firmware "BUG" but that resulted in the 1-2 second acceleration delay.

To this date it is still unknown as to what the permanent fix will be.

Thankyou all for the input. I called Lexus, they had a loaner waiting for me today at 11:30, I got tied up at work and had to cancel. On the way home the whole transmission went out. Instead of shuddering between 2nd and 3rd, it revved real high and I had to limp it a quarter mile to the house. Guess its going to be towed into Lexus tomorrow. I'll let everyone know what happens. Thanks

Have them give you a estimate only, and also include any concessions that they may give you. Though I recommend an independent tranny shop, if you dont have a back up car, the cost of a rental can exceed the savings by an independent. Be real careful on your decision as Lexus is expensive. There cost is generally $4300 to $5000 and an independent will be under $3000.... However if the independent has a poor track record and ties your car up for three weeks, then the cost of a rental will eat the savings. Good luck and dont forget to file a Complaint with the NHTS board online. The Data is important for causing a recall on these trannies that should have gone longer. You will need the vin # of your vehicle to do it online...

Have them give you a estimate only, and also include any concessions that they may give you. Though I recommend an independent tranny shop, if you dont have a back up car, the cost of a rental can exceed the savings by an independent. Be real careful on your decision as Lexus is expensive. There cost is generally $4300 to $5000 and an independent will be under $3000.... However if the independent has a poor track record and ties your car up for three weeks, then the cost of a rental will eat the savings. Good luck and dont forget to file a Complaint with the NHTS board online. The Data is important for causing a recall on these trannies that should have gone longer. You will need the vin # of your vehicle to do it online...

lenore and everyone else...... Thank you! This site has been great. My luck with Lexus, hasn't been as good. Rx300 was towed to the dealership on Thursday, they were wonderful about a loaner as they usually are here in Charlotte, NC. We received a call on Friday telling us that the tranny is shot and it will be $4025 out the door. I brought up the three TSB's (Technical Service Bullitens) and the hundreds of complaints about the tranny problem with this model. I was told they will see what they can do..... A few hours later I received a call back from our service tech, who informed us that they won't be able to help us with the cost of this issue but......... He gave me the number 1 800 25 LEXUS... I am calling them today, as last night was to late. He mentioned that they are only the dealer, where as Lexus would be the one to make a decision to assist or not. For anyone that I read who was lucky enough to have Lexus absorb the cost... How did you do it. I really would rather not spend $4000 on this issue if it is so common that there should be a recall. Thank you again to everyone on this website. I'll keep everyone informed.

lenore and everyone else...... Thank you! This site has been great. My luck with Lexus, hasn't been as good. Rx300 was towed to the dealership on Thursday, they were wonderful about a loaner as they usually are here in Charlotte, NC. We received a call on Friday telling us that the tranny is shot and it will be $4025 out the door. I brought up the three TSB's (Technical Service Bullitens) and the hundreds of complaints about the tranny problem with this model. I was told they will see what they can do..... A few hours later I received a call back from our service tech, who informed us that they won't be able to help us with the cost of this issue but......... He gave me the number 1 800 25 LEXUS... I am calling them today, as last night was to late. He mentioned that they are only the dealer, where as Lexus would be the one to make a decision to assist or not. For anyone that I read who was lucky enough to have Lexus absorb the cost... How did you do it. I really would rather not spend $4000 on this issue if it is so common that there should be a recall. Thank you again to everyone on this website. I'll keep everyone informed.

Make loud, really LOUD, noises on the showroom floor.

Well, as the saga continues, I spoke with 1800 25 lexus (Customer Care) out of California yesterday. They almost sounded to understanding. They expressed deep apologies for any inconvenience they we are experiencing. Also stated that with our customer loyalty we shouldn't have a problem receiving assistance with our shot transmission. They were so nice I even began to question their sincerity......But, they still couldn't give me a definate answer. It would be two to three days for them to call us back after they look into it. I was told that there "is a problem with the transmission on the early model rx300"s, they are well aware of the TSB's and of this wonderful website that we all are communicating on. Customer care if decided that they are going to replace the tranny, they send to the dealership and the dealership does the install. My dealership quoted 8 hours to install the new tranny. I'm not telling them but I would even be willing to pay for the labor. We'll see what happens next. Is there anyone out there that has been at this point with Customer Care? Is there anything else I can use to persuade them that customer loyalty now a days is the most important when we've owned three Lexus. Thanks again! Good luck to all. Lenore, I filed my complaint with NHTSA. Thanks

Thank you, As RX NC said be polite but firm with customer relations, If they cough up the cost of the tranny and you pay labor that is a good deal. The good deal is Around $3000 or less out of your pocket. And dont forget the loaner car in your expense, that is worth some compared to a rental....Good luck, and hope they do good by you....

Monarch:

You have more bull then the KC stock yards.

Where do you get your worthless ideas at? Being a Powertrain engineer for a major OEM player, that is not how prowertrain designs work. First and foremost is to design for less maintenance and robustness of the drive train, plus if you came with your design thoughts today, you would be fired.

Ahh Yes, Monarch! Whatever happened to that guy anyhow, I havent seen a post form him in over a year , maybe longer :D

Not that I'm complaining

I believe he was banned....as I remember, when he slammed some of our veterans serving our country (good job removing him and his obsurb ideas)

Well, as the saga continues, I spoke with 1800 25 lexus (Customer Care) out of California yesterday. They almost sounded to understanding. They expressed deep apologies for any inconvenience they we are experiencing. Also stated that with our customer loyalty we shouldn't have a problem receiving assistance with our shot transmission. They were so nice I even began to question their sincerity......But, they still couldn't give me a definate answer. It would be two to three days for them to call us back after they look into it. I was told that there "is a problem with the transmission on the early model rx300"s, they are well aware of the TSB's and of this wonderful website that we all are communicating on. Customer care if decided that they are going to replace the tranny, they send to the dealership and the dealership does the install. My dealership quoted 8 hours to install the new tranny. I'm not telling them but I would even be willing to pay for the labor. We'll see what happens next. Is there anyone out there that has been at this point with Customer Care? Is there anything else I can use to persuade them that customer loyalty now a days is the most important when we've owned three Lexus. Thanks again! Good luck to all. Lenore, I filed my complaint with NHTSA. Thanks

I have a '99 RX300AWD that I bought new and have always had it serviced at the dealer where I bought it. It only has 62k miles and just had the 60k mile service which cost $800. A week later the transmission went out and was going to cost $4500 to replace. I complained to my dealer and they say they took my complaint to Lexus rep. They gave us a loaner and when my car was ready, they said that Lexus agreed to pay for the transmission and I was billed for the labor, which was $1100 dollars. I just started looking at this forum since this happened and it appears there is a design problem with this transmission.

Thank you for your input, and I will add you to my list of 37 other tranny failures. Good luck, and I hope you get the $1000, but you made out better than the others on my list...

Quote: "I have a '99 RX300AWD that I bought new and have always had it serviced at the dealer where I bought it. It only has 62k miles and just had the 60k mile service which cost $800. A week later the transmission went out and was going to cost $4500 to replace. I complained to my dealer and they say they took my complaint to Lexus rep. They gave us a loaner and when my car was ready, they said that Lexus agreed to pay for the transmission and I was billed for the labor, which was $1100 dollars. I just started looking at this forum since this happened and it appears there is a design problem with this transmission."

Design problem, maybe??? Maintenance problem, definitely!!!

Design problem definetly, and maintenance done by Lexus, and not put in writing about the 15k changes of fluid....however recommended by the stealerships..... Poor design, tranny cooler in wheel well, too much load on the camry tranny....

Design problem definetly, and maintenance done by Lexus, and not put in writing about the 15k changes of fluid....however recommended by the stealerships..... Poor design, tranny cooler in wheel well, too much load on the camry tranny....

No, early, premature failures are resulting from excessive frictional surface wear of/on internal clutch surfaces as a result of "safer" FWD shift pattern/schedule adopted by Toyota(Lexus) late in the last century. If the transaxle needs to downshift due to a requirement to accelerate following, QUICKLY following, a FULL lift throttle event (putting the engine at idle) resulting in an upshift being commanded by the ECU, then the ATF pressure will be exhausted when the subsequent downshift finally begins. Due to the SOLID coupling twix the gas pedal and the throttle butterfly valve the engine RPM will begin rising the instant you start depressing the gas pedal. Meantime that previously commanded upshift must complete which will mostly exhaust the fluid pressure needed to quickly seat the clutches for the upcoming downshift sequence.

Like slipping the clutch, SEVERELY so, on a stick shift each and every time you downshift. On an automatic that required "slipping the clutch" effect is one of the purposes, functions, of the torque converter, NOT actual clutch slippage.

DBW was adopted to alleviate these premature transaxle failures by delaying the onset of engine torque.

Which might also go to explaining a seeming anomally in my 2001 AWD RX300.

My RX has a VC, Viscous Clutch/coupling mounted across the two output shafts of the otherwise open center diff'l. The VC will not "lock" the center diff'l absent a persistent level of disparate rotational rate for two, front vs rear, diff'l drive outputs. But my Rx has VSC/TC/etc, etc. The instant either front wheels begins to slip/spin TC will start braking both front wheels "moderately", and at the same time "dethrottle" the engine via EFI implemented fuel starvation. So of what use does that make the VC? None?

Apparently so, since for the RX330 and entire rest of the FWD based AWD vehicles the VC was dropped.

WHY...?

Using the VC as was intended would clearly put additional stress on the drive train. Absent TC, my RX300 would operate on aderse, slippery, roadbed surfaces as the original design engineers intended. But by the time the '01 was being put into product Toyota(Lexus) knew that the '99 RX300 transaxles wer failing prematurely for the above stated reasons. How to take the additional stress of a "true", VC implemente, AWD system, off of the drive train, how too "protect the drive train"?

QUICK, install some new code, firmware, and have the TC system prevent the VC from actually putting the system into AWD "mode".

Firmware revision vs hardware...ALWAYS.

But in this case....

You get both.

#38 here on your list, Lenore.

My tranny went out on my '01 RX300AWD last Thursday and it only has 56k miles. I bought it CPO July 2006 and have only put 10k miles on it. Got it towed to the dealership and they confirmed it was my tranny. My service guy told me that it would cost $5000, but was able to get it covered through warranty since I just bought the car last year, warranty only expired last month and has such low mileage.

However, he did call me back today to tell me that my servo motor needs to be replaced and it'll cost $950. Has anyone had this problem as well?

What the heck SERVO Motor are they talking about???? Never heard of a servo motor in the tranny, they are trying to squeeze $950 out of you for double talking you.... Please find out specifically what they are talking about and repost. They are duping you and recovering the labor cost of replacing the tranny..... And yes they should replace it on warranty, you dont even have 60k miles on it.... Good luck and keep us informed... Please also file a complaint with the NHTS board online to add to the complaints of early failure, just dont tell the dealer until your work is done or dont tell them either way....

Okay... so ther servo motor was an additional problem (not in the tranny)... I actually lucked out 'cuz when I picked up my car, my service guy told me that they were able to replace it under warranty as well... .. oh yeah, and I already filed a complaint with NHTS prior to my posts... thanks, lenore!

Okay... so ther servo motor was an additional problem (not in the tranny)... I actually lucked out 'cuz when I picked up my car, my service guy told me that they were able to replace it under warranty as well... .. oh yeah, and I already filed a complaint with NHTS prior to my posts... thanks, lenore!

A big thank you and glad to hear the servo motor was covered, sounds like something in the air condition/heating area, oh well who cares.....

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, have had sudden transmisson failure on my 2000 RX300 AWD wih only 71,813 original owner miles. When I took it to my service dealer in Santa Rosa for a left wheelwell noise and slow/slipping shifts, they diagnosed the noise problem as a starter gear staying on the flywheel ring. After replacing the starter the noise was still present and then they diagnosed a FAILING Transmission. The starter repair estimate was about $600, the transmission was 10 times that! Before I could even catch my breath, the service rep said they had already contacted Lexus and because I had a regular servce history, and the vehicle was only 1800 miles beyond the 70,000 mile powertrain warranty, for goodwill they would replace the transmisson with a rebuilt unit (warranty: 12,000 miles/1 year). They would cover the cost of the tranny, I would be respnsible for the labor. So for about $1260 in labor (4 wheel alignment & oil/filter change, too) I had my vehicle rehabilitated. I also had a brand new RX350 as a loaner for four days. This all occurred over the last New Year's holiday. (I read much info here, but did not have time to register/write until now.) I consider myself lucky after reading most of the posts from the past couple of years. I did also post a complaint to the NHTS website since there does seem to be a trend in these early transmission failures and only by having the numbers can any analysis be prompted or performed. Thank you to all that have supplied their stories and suggestions on this forum.

I, too, have had sudden transmisson failure on my 2000 RX300 AWD wih only 71,813 original owner miles. When I took it to my service dealer in Santa Rosa for a left wheelwell noise and slow/slipping shifts, they diagnosed the noise problem as a starter gear staying on the flywheel ring. After replacing the starter the noise was still present and then they diagnosed a FAILING Transmission. The starter repair estimate was about $600, the transmission was 10 times that! Before I could even catch my breath, the service rep said they had already contacted Lexus and because I had a regular servce history, and the vehicle was only 1800 miles beyond the 70,000 mile powertrain warranty, for goodwill they would replace the transmisson with a rebuilt unit (warranty: 12,000 miles/1 year). They would cover the cost of the tranny, I would be respnsible for the labor. So for about $1260 in labor (4 wheel alignment & oil/filter change, too) I had my vehicle rehabilitated. I also had a brand new RX350 as a loaner for four days. This all occurred over the last New Year's holiday. (I read much info here, but did not have time to register/write until now.) I consider myself lucky after reading most of the posts from the past couple of years. I did also post a complaint to the NHTS website since there does seem to be a trend in these early transmission failures and only by having the numbers can any analysis be prompted or performed. Thank you to all that have supplied their stories and suggestions on this forum.

Boy, In your case I think you should have had the entire cost covered, expecially so close on mileage. but count your blessings with the cheaper change, make sure to have the fluid changed every 15k miles or once a year and you should be good to go...And thankyou for filing with the NHTS site I really appreciate it....

Question, what service did Lexus perform on your transmission during the 7 years leading up to the failure? Did they change ATF fluid , anything like that?

A separate trend I notice is that the mileage-at-failure seems to be in the 60-80k mi range for a lot of the failures. I'll hav eto go back and see the numbers for sure but to my mind it seems to be the range.

Thanks for your story and for posting.

Question, what service did Lexus perform on your transmission during the 7 years leading up to the failure? Did they change ATF fluid , anything like that?

A separate trend I notice is that the mileage-at-failure seems to be in the 60-80k mi range for a lot of the failures. I'll hav eto go back and see the numbers for sure but to my mind it seems to be the range.

Thanks for your story and for posting.

Whatever the trend, the failures keep rolling in and the NHTS board site is growing with complaints....Probably fruitless but I have tried to get some input into the system....

Lenore,

Do you mean the NHTSA when you say NHTS? I'm curious can you post a link to the data there, I'd love to see the numbers for RX failure . perhaps we can cometo some conclusions with the data, Thanks!

yes, and here is the link http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems...ecallsearch.cfm but you will have to do a search on all years 99-2002, just the 99 has 39 complaints under automatic transmission....

I RECENTLY TOOK MY CAR IN AND FOUND OUT THAT MY TRANSMISSION HAD GONE OUT ONLY AFTER 89,000 MILES AND WOULD BE $5,000-$6,000 TO REPLACE NEW AND $3,500 FOR USED. AFTER RESEARCHING ABOUT THE LEXUS RX300 1999 MODEL I AM FINDING OUT THERE ARE SEVERAL PROBLEMS WITH THIS VEHICLES TRANSMISSION AND DRIVE TRAIN. I AM JUST WONDERING IF THIS PROBLEM OCCURS MORE THAN IT SHOULD WITH OTHERS WITH THIS PARTICULAR MODEL?

HI GUYS, I GOT LEXUS RX 300 YEAR 2000. MAN, I GOT THE SAME PROBLEM WITH YOUR CAR. TRANSMISSION CAN'T SHIFT WELL, NO POWER AT ALL,... I LOST ALL MOST 4500, BUT MY CAR WAS STILL PROBLEM THE SAME THING. FINALLY, I GOT FRIEND INTRODUCED THIS SMALL SHOP. HE THIS GUY IS SUPER AND PROFESSIONOR ALL KIND. I JUST GOT THE CAR LAST WEEK. NOW MY CAR RUN VERY BEAUTIFULL NOW. MORE POWER AND SHIFT WITH SMOOTH. I REMEMBER THIS SHOP NAME SONNY AUTO SHOP ON 17704 15TH AVE SHORELINE WA 98115 PHONE NUMBER 2063647770. I AM NOT SURE IT RIGHT ADDRESS. YOU GUYS CALL HIM TO MAKE SURE. HEY, HE IS VERY GOOD AND STRAIGHT FORWARD. GOOD LUCK YOU GUY