Awd On Rx330, Total Hoax?

Rx330driver

No, I think this discussion is about, centers around, the Lexus RX series having, or not, the same AWD capability as the Jeep. So we are disregarding the 4X4 (locked center differential) mode and the granny-grunt "low" 4X4 mode, in this comparison.

Personally I don't think it's at all wrong for a person purchasing an RX to expect AWD system performance equal to the equivalent mode available in a Jeep.

To clarify, the 85 and 92 Jeeps I had could be switched from RWD to AWD to 4X4 (locked center diff'l) and then into 4X4 low range.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really dont know what all the fuss is about, my 04-330 is just like a freaking snow plow coming down the road--nothing has stopped it yet or come close, all this talk about its not really AWD is non-sense! I have gone out in fresh 10" powder on the roads just after a heavy snow and it was flawless. Im sure me only having FWD would have been a differant story. Im sure we have power to all 4 wheels

I really dont know what all the fuss is about, my 04-330 is just like a freaking snow plow coming down the road--nothing has stopped it yet or come close, all this talk about its not really AWD is non-sense! I have gone out in fresh 10" powder on the roads just after a heavy snow and it was flawless. Im sure me only having FWD would have been a differant story. Im sure we have power to all 4 wheels

In general once you're up and going at some speed the vehicle's inertia, momentum, is the ruling factor. As has been said so many times before, the only advantage to additional "DRIVE" traction, more tires being driven by the engine, is primarily for acceleration. In comparison once you are up to speed the level of traction needed is only that required to overcome the various sources of drag.

"....Fresh 10" powder on the roads after a heavy snow..."

First, can you send some of that "powder" down our way? All we seem to get is the heavy wet stuff referred to as Pacific boiler-plate.

Years ago in the wintertime in MT, 1960s, mostly RWD, I would have welcomed 10" of fresh powder instead of the icy stuff that had already been packed down from being driven on. During my time in Alaska, Anchorage, Fairbanks and Barrow, I most feared the glare ice that seemed to persist for months in the wintertime. Now that stuff can be treachorous even with a 4X4.

But those RWD rental cars seemed to get me around just fine until the spring thaw.

Yea you can make it around in RWD but you couldnt pay me enough to have one up here for sure! 4WD only and my AWD:)

Yea we are in sort of an icy stage right now but not to bad--heat wave today its 10 degrees....in themornings its been -10

Wasn't much choice back in my time, either RWD (maybe w/LSD) or Dodge 4X4 Power wagons. I guess the rental companies didn't cotton much to stocking power wagons throughout the year.

Back to the original question, people said that the buzzer was the sound of the anti lock brakes kicking in...but...i wasnt like slamming on the brakes, it was just a moderately medium to hard press. Now, im not sure if brakes still lock when not pressing all the way down, but yeah

Personally I don't think it's at all wrong for a person purchasing an RX to expect AWD system performance equal to the equivalent mode available in a Jeep.

And I believe it does. On surface streets driving around in 4" of snow or so I bet you can get around in an RX just as well as you can in a Jeep. I had a loaner RX330 through a 5" snowstorm here and was totally comfortable driving it, and I drove a 2WD/AWD/4WD selectable Explorer for 6 years before I got the Lexus. It was just as good in the snow as the Explorer was. In all honesty I think my ES and my Prius are probably as safe to drive in the snow as my Explorer was up to about 3". Not as sure footed at the start, but plenty stable to drive around (the Prius is excellent in the snow actually).

My folks have an FX35 with very rear biased AWD, my dad also thinks he can get around as well up to about 7" as he could in the Explorer and as he could in the Sequoia they had before.

The difference comes when you start to get more beyond the 6 or 7" range and you start to vary the terrain from surface streets or paths. Thats when you're going to see the RXs true roots come out.

You can say "The AWD system on the RX is poor", which is your opinion and cannot be right or wrong, but to say "The RX does not actually have AWD" is simply not true.

"...driving around in 4" of snow......"

The operative term there is driving around "IN" 4" of snow, not driving around "ON" 4" of snow....

Not even most 2WD vehicles would be challenged driving around IN 4" of snow. But pack that same 4" down so you're driving around ON 4" of snow and it would be a totally different story.

Tell you what, I'll go and have my 2001 "AWD" RX300 converted to solid RWD coupling with the VC as backup to couple in the front. Then I'll race you anywhere any distance of your choice with you driving ANY model year AWD RX series as factory delivered.

The factory supplied RX series is AWD in name ONLY.

Conclusion?

If you need a vehicle that can safely and effectively handle a variety of winter road conditions including moderate snowfall (defined as 6 to 8 inches), there's no question that the RX series is NOT your best choice, probably not even in the top 25.

Those of us who occasionally have to drive in moderate or heavy snow and have owned true 4x4 vehicles along with the various RX models can advise you of that fact very quickly.

Previous posters in this thread have called the RX a minivan or a station wagon. I think it's more a short-platformed version of the latter, but regardless of what you think it resembles, rest assured that it is NOT decent-snowfall or off-road capable....

Nor is the RX a capable transport during an ice storm, or on any icy or highly slippery surface.

But then absent studs or chains neither is any other road going passenger vehicle that I know of.

This is slightly off of the original topic, but close enough that I'd like responses from the same group of people.

How well does AWD (in any car) or any safety feature such as ABS, VSC, etc, do in preventing and counteracting hydroplaning? That question came to mind as I was driving to work in pouring rain this morning.

My own opinion is that none of the aforementioned features do anything once hydroplaning has started, because you need traction to the wheels for any of them to work, and that's one thing you don't have when hydroplaning.

You are correct. Hydroplaning is all about your tires and the speed you're traveling on wet pavement. Once you've lost traction, you've basically become an unsteerable surfboard until traction is re-established. If you do a lot of driving in the rain, you must keep plenty of tread depth on your tires and slow down on wet pavement in order to minimize your chances of hydroplaning.

[My own opinion is that none of the aforementioned features do anything once hydroplaning has started, because you need traction to the wheels for any of them to work, and that's one thing you don't have when hydroplaning.

Tires are your only real defense against hydroplaning (and speed of course) Wet tire technology has come an amazingly long way in recent years, just watch an F1 race in the wet and you can see how incredibly effective the tires can be at moving/removing water from under the tire.

I guess I did not buy my RX330 for decent-snowfall or off-road capabilities. When I was considering purchasing the RX, AWD was a definite for me. I think the RX 330 does exactly what it should do, and what it is designed to do. Have not had any problems with traction on wet roads or icy roads. In my opinion the tires would play a big role in how you get around in the snow too! I had a Ford Mustang 5.0 when I was 17, I remember that when I first bought it that winter when it snowed I could get that car stuck on the highway. I put a new set of tires on the back and it was like a completely different car, don't get me wrong the car still was not worth a sh*t in snow, ice, or even rain... I would put the RX330 in a class of it's own, not a minivan, or a station wagon, but a luxury SUV, my opinion. If you want a something that will get through the snow better go buy a snow plow! :D

For me Im calling BS on the claim that the 330AWD is not capable on a good amount of snowfall! My 330 is freakin happy as a pig in S...well you know when it has tons of snow to blast through--the wife loves it and I have never heard her complain that its a POS in the snow!

And you see where I live--we get snow and plenty of it for 6+ months baby!

Maybe the Nay-sayers need to get a hummer

It does well for me too--love it, maybe someone slapped a AWD badge on your FWD RX???

For me Im calling BS on the claim that the 330AWD is not capable on a good amount of snowfall! My 330 is freakin happy as a pig in S...well you know when it has tons of snow to blast through--the wife loves it and I have never heard her complain that its a POS in the snow!

And you see where I live--we get snow and plenty of it for 6+ months baby!

Maybe the Nay-sayers need to get a hummer

It does well for me too--love it, maybe someone slapped a AWD badge on your FWD RX???

:D Good One!

Sorry, but our 4x4 Jeeps run circles around our RX300 AWD in the snow. That's just the way it is, folks. If you need to get around in snow, get a true 4x4....

Back in 1963 in MT I truly loved driving around after a freshly fallen snow and blasting through those high snowdrifts in my new T-bird. The only shortcoming was that once in awhile the radiator would get clogged, PLUGGED, with snow and then I would have to get out and clean it out. Once in awhile I would get high-centered since the bottom of the T-bird acted like a sled, but hey, what's a little honest fun without retribution.

But when the stuff that drifted got packed down I had to get serious and put the chains on.

Now i know that its the 4wd all the time, and that it only kicks in when theres slippage. But has anyone actually seen the indicator, im guesing the one with the car on squiggly lines, turn on on the dash. Earlier on Sunday, it was donwpouring, and i had to brake pretty hard all off a sudden from 60 mph. All i heard was a buzzer, very light sound, and the brake pedal was kinda shaking, im taking it as a sign of slipping, and no warning light what so ever. So do we actually get to see this thing in action? I guess im just curious as to see if any of us has ever had the other two wheels kick in. Oh and what does that buzzer mean...no light, just buzzer. :chairshot:

I agree, it does sound like ABS kicking in. Other cars like Honda or Acura tend to be more rough in their ABS, but luxury cars like lexus and bmw tend to have such a rapid-fire ABS, that it almost feels like a vibration. I have an 06 RX330 and in my opinion, I think the awd is great

Now i know that its the 4wd all the time, and that it only kicks in when theres slippage. But has anyone actually seen the indicator, im guesing the one with the car on squiggly lines, turn on on the dash. Earlier on Sunday, it was donwpouring, and i had to brake pretty hard all off a sudden from 60 mph. All i heard was a buzzer, very light sound, and the brake pedal was kinda shaking, im taking it as a sign of slipping, and no warning light what so ever. So do we actually get to see this thing in action? I guess im just curious as to see if any of us has ever had the other two wheels kick in. Oh and what does that buzzer mean...no light, just buzzer.:chairshot:

I agree, it does sound like ABS kicking in. Other cars like Honda or Acura tend to be more rough in their ABS, but luxury cars like lexus and bmw tend to have such a rapid-fire ABS, that it almost feels like a vibration. I have an 06 RX330 and in my opinion, I think the awd is great

For those of you that thought your RX330 had full time AWD you might take notice that the newly available RX350 heralds the return, encore, of the VC, viscous clutch/coupling within the PTO so that the center diff't can exhibit at least some semblance of "lock".

It also looks as if maybe the modification to the engine to prevent further episodes of oil sludging may not have worked as well as it might have. The engine in the new RX350 now has an external engine oil cooler.

Sorry, but our 4x4 Jeeps run circles around our RX300 AWD in the snow. That's just the way it is, folks. If you need to get around in snow, get a true 4x4....

True about the Jeep 4x4, But the other statement..."If you need to get around in snow, get a true 4x4...." Just not true at all! Matter of fact it has been snowing all day 6 inches and the wife just drove home fine--no worries in the world with her car---

True about the Jeep 4x4, But the other statement..."If you need to get around in snow, get a true 4x4...." Just not true at all! Matter of fact it has been snowing all day 6 inches and the wife just drove home fine--no worries in the world with her car---

The fact that you and yours do fine in snow may be a reflection of your driving skills rather than the car's capabilities. People who have to drive a lot in snow are bound to be pretty good at it, regardless of what car they drive.

Of course they do, and well they should. The tradeoff for having the carlike ride and handling of the RX is that it isn't capable of performing in adverse weather conditions as well as a truck based SUV with rear biased AWD, solid axles, and more ride height. All I'm saying is the RX was never designed truly to compete with your 4x4 Jeeps in that department so you can't slight it for not being capable of doing something it was never designed to do.

Can you get around better in an RX than in an ES in the snow for instance, or say a Ford Windstar minivan, certainly.

I have a 2001 AWD RX300 and I can indeed confirm that the AWD DOES work. In a recent trip to the mountains with a couple of inches of packed snow on the highway and 10+ inches off the highway I had no problem accelerating very quickly. Also, when gunning the gas around some corners (playing around) I could get the rear end to slip from throttle input, (oversteer) which just wouldn't be possible without sending torque to the rear tires. This was also accompanied by the VSC light beeping and flashing at me and the vehicle straighting itself out. I might add that we were traveling with friends who had a 4x4 suburban that would merely spin on the fairly steep driveway in 2wd. They had to flip over to 4wd in order to make it up the hill, which I was able to go up no problem. Do I have the same confidence I had with my 4x4 Toyota pickup with 31" snow tires? Of course not, but I did not buy the RX300 to be an, off-road-2ft-plus, snow vehicle.

Which brings me to another point that no one has even mentioned here. TIRES! Tires will make all of the difference in the world when driving in snow. Are you running factory original tires, snow tires, or just good aftermarket AT tires? It's is not fair to say it is the vehicle when your tire choice can make a HUGE difference in traction. I bought the RX for my wife, and we rarely get snow here, but it makes me feel better when she is driving an AWD vehicle that sits up a little higher when next to a Hummer on the highway.