Changed Transmission Mount

Sweet95LS400

I noticed a little vibration under acceleration and some firmer than normal downshifts when comming to stop. So I decided to change the transmission mount that everyone has talked about. What a great differance it has made. The transition between gears is almost imperceptable. My old mount wasnt worn out and was still in one piece, but it had dried up and wasnt plyable at all anymore. The new mount you could squeeze and flex, my old mount was in good shape but hard as a rock.

Those of you on the fence about doing it, it is easy. If you are not comfortable doing it, at least buy the part and have your mechanic do it. Should only take him 1/2 hour.

Thanks to this great write up, I did it myself: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...nsmission+mount

I also changed my air filter tonight, that was fairly easy, it was tough actually getting the two plastic parts apart, but after that it was straight foward.

I am planning on changing the tranny fluid this weekend. I am still debating whether or not to drop the pan, its an easy job, but i just get nervous cause I dont want to cause any leaks or anything. But I did want to clean the pan out real good and change the filter while I am in there. This way when I flush the fluid everything is fresh.

• 2 years later...

I changed my transmission mount last weekend (the car has 171,000 miles). Wow, what a difference it made. I had a kind of shudder/vibration feeling (at that perfect frequency that really gets in your head and irritates you) at 40-60mph and a lesser vibration that felt like an out of balance tire when I'm at highway speeds. The transmission mount cured both of those problems. The shifts feel smoother too; I don't know if that's in my head or not. I bought this mount for my old '95 a long time ago, and it's nice to finally see it put to use! haha The old mount wasn't too badly cracked. It was, however, flattened like a pancake.

IMG_3162.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

If your car was stopped could you still feel a vibration through the steering wheel?

I have the same type of vibration, but even when stopped I will get a vibration through the steering wheel and an occasional buzzing sound from some part on the outside of the car - like the cowl panel or something. I have been planning on getting engine mounts for this car for a long time before I give it to my mother, but as you know, parts and replacement are very costly and I am wondering if it may just need the cheaper/easier transmission mount, rather than the engine mounts as well.

Thanks.

Would a bad transmission mount only also cause a vibration through the steering wheel and gas pedal when stopped, or is that likely the engine mounts?

LOL Have you still not changed your engine mounts? What did you do all summer?

Trans mount: Vibration at D at stop and gone at P or N.

Engine mount: Vibration at specific rpms.

I suggest pulling the tranny pan and doing the filter and gasket as well.
I really wouldn't waste the time with this unless you are going after a specific transmission problem. I changed the tranny filter in my '95 at the ~250k mile range (for good measure), and the filter was clean. The magnets had the most minimal, microscopic amount of shavings (more like dust than anything) on them; really quite amazing for the year and mileage (I've seen pics posted from other cars, and the shavings are so dense and large that they look like cactus plants.).
I've got a 97 LS. What's the part number for the transmission mount?
If I turn my head just so and look at the pic I posted, it is 12371-50060.

LOL Have you still not changed your engine mounts? What did you do all summer?

Trans mount: Vibration at D at stop and gone at P or N.

Engine mount: Vibration at specific rpms.

:) Traveled and spent all of my "play" money. I found someone that would do it for $150 labor, but I have not brought myself to pay $180 for the mounts then another $58 for the tranny mount. $58 is not bad for the tranny mount, but when I add the $150 and $180, thats a pretty big chunk, especially when you "give" away money like I do.

Well- from what you said, just my luck - its the engine mounts then, because it vibrates when in park and neutral as well. :( Its never the "cheap" or easy way out for me. :rolleyes:

I am going to give it to my mother, but I wanted it fixed before, but I think I will hand it over and tell her to get my dad to fix it for her.....

lets see- so thats:

engine mounts

transmission mount

power steering pump leaks

alternator starting to fail?

Most awesome!! :) but i couldnt find the tranny mount listed. found the engine mounts in there for $90.

i love to save a buck or two anytime!

Enter the part number that I posted above, and the tranny mount will show up. ;)

• 4 months later...

i just changed my mount that i got from pembroke pines lexus for $50. I'm happy with the results but i'm starting to think this car will last forever! my mount was original... i think. it was smushed a little bit but otherwise in good shape. Still pliable. I'll have to wait see the effect on cold shifting(had to drive and get some ramps from wal-mart before i could change it), but warm shifting is incredibly smooth now compared to kinda smooth before. car runs better than a car should with 275k!

I cant wait to change my engine mounts!! anybody got a good write up for the 1ls?

I love my lexus even more now. Parts are a little pricey but worth the price. When using oem parts, a lexus runs like a rolex... Rolexus.... lame sorry :)

My car has been sooo cheap to maintain!!! Thanks guys! this forum makes a huge differnce on my wallet! i've saved so much!

dunno yet man. gotta head to work now. When i get off ( and the car is cooled) i will pay attention to the lurch. I'll take some pics of my old one too to give yall an idea of what mine looked like

i had a moderate(by lexus standards) cold idle shake that the tranny mount def cured about 90%. car now accelerates and shifts quicker. cruise control is smoother.

wow who knew a $50 item could do soo much! absolutly worth the money

wow who knew a $50 item could do soo much! absolutly worth the money

Right before I bought the Lexus my Mercedes started making horrible grinding noises when I put it into first and started off. I was sure the transmission was toast. Took it to the mechanic and waited for the bad news.....

After they didn't call I feared the worst.... so I called them and they were like 'car's ready come get it'. ???

Tranny mount for $125 all in. I had them change the engine mounts as well; at 180k miles they were a bit tired.

Car ran better than ever!

I am going to try to change the tranny mount on my LS400 next week... I think that will eliminate alot of my vibration issues. It has 219K and its original. :o

I have the cold idle vibation and when I slow to a stop and I have the radio off, etc, I can hear it making a clunking sound as it downshifts... that could be the u-joints, but I hope its only the mount causing it. Also between 35-45 I have a vibration through the steering wheel and it sometimes seems like the driveline has "slack" and the car will kinda bop back and forwad under light acceleration at those same speeds, as if the torque converter is going out, but I was told it was probably the tranny mount. The tranny shifts perfectly, so I doubt my transmission is the issue. I am sure the engine mounts are bad as well, but after that nearly $300 repair to replace my fan bearing, it took all of the money I had been saving for the engine mounts. :rolleyes:

I thought there was a tutorial on this on that LS site, but I guess not. I did find this link on changing the mount...

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...nsmission+mount

I am going to attempt to change the mount myself on the LS, as I am ready to give the car to my mom. They are aware that the car will also likely need motor mounts, valve cover gaskets and address the PS pump leaks.

Forgive my ignorance on this, but I am wondering if I change the tranny mount myself, are there any dangers that the transmission could fall out if the jack was to slip? I read where the crossmember has to come off, but I am assuming that there are the bolts on the front of the tranny that hold it in place? I just did not want to go into this blindly and have the tranny squash me. <_<