Toyota Sequoia

lenore

Hey my daughter through was considering a Chevrolet Tahoe 2001 but I felt it is not a good realiable car. Today she is considering a Toyota Sequoia 2001, 2002. Does anybody have any input good or bad?

you might try www.edmunds.com under the forums section click on toyota and then sequoia, you will see 1700 posts starting in 2001, and you can post this question there. it looks like areas of concern are early brake wear, cylinder slap (loud ticking engines) crappy stereo, and hyper sensitive VSC.

My parents had a 2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited for 3 years or so and were very happy with it, no problems.

The Tahoe actually is a pretty reliable vehicle if you look at the history. One thing GM can do right is these trucks.

I have a 2004 Sequoia that I purchased new in November, 2004. It now has about 12,000 miles on it.

I have had absolutely no problems. Since I do my own maintenance, it has not been back to the dealership for anything.

The early Sequoias (2001-02) had brake problems. Those vehicles, like the Tundras of the same years, had severe problems with the front rotors warping. This was addressed by Toyota by issuing a TSB which involved an upgrade in the calipers and pads. Anyone buying one of the vehicles from those years should make certain that the brake upgrade has been done. This upgrade was phased into production with the 2003 models, so there shouldn't be any problem with that year and subsequent years.

The ride is excellent, and the truck handles well. It is also great for towing, if one ever has that need. The engine is very smooth and powerful.

A major upgrade was done on the 2005 model. An engine upgrade raised the horsepower about 30, and a five speed automatic replaced the four speed.

The only negative is gas mileage. Most of my mileage is highway, and I average 17-18 on most fillups. This is my calculation. The MPG readout in the overhead console now shows my MPG at 19.3. This particular instrument needs some kind of technology upgrade to bring some touch of reality into it. I must admit, however, that my driving style is not very aggressive.

For someone contemplating a Sequoia purchase, I would recommend the Edmunds forum or the www.tundrasolutions.com forum. The latter has a registration requirement to enter the forum, but there is no fee.

Thank you for the feedback, we are looking for a 2001-2003 Sequoia, silver, with leather seats and 2wd, for 25k out the door.

I've heard the same about the brakes onthe Sequoias, Tundras, & Siennas from those years. My Brother & his wife have a 2001 and they have been extremely happy with it. The engine is louder that what I am used to w/ Toyota, but you don't notice it inside the vehicle. Ride is smooth for a truck, but I don't think that it's as refined as the Tahoes of the same year - it seems bouncier. The Tahoe has proven to be a good truck, but in the long haul I think that the Toyota will be a better option.

My $0.02 here: Don't waste your time w/ a 2WD. The reason that they're such a good deal is that nobody wants 2WD. It will kill your eventual resale. Plus - it's a truck. Even if it stays on pavement it's whole life it should still be 4WD. Trust me - you'll never regret spending the extra $2-3$K to get 4WD.

I have always checked www.carpoint.com which is now msn autos.....went into the used car section....selected the car or truck i was looking at......drilled down to the year....clicked on reviews....and clicked on "users reviews" to read what others thought of their vehicle. been helpful for me!

I agree with SWO on Tahoe statement. It's tough to go wrong with the Chevy 350 V8...they've been building those motors for something like 40 + years.

I agree with SWO on Tahoe statement. It's tough to go wrong with the Chevy 350 V8...they've been building those motors for something like 40 + years.

The motors are fine, it's the byzantine piece of *BLEEP* 4L80E that you have to worry about. I too would go with an American SUV because they look better and are generally more functional. B) Trucks and SUVs are pretty much the only thing that the domestics can do right these days!