How Many Miles?

New to the board. I had a LS400 a few years ago with over 180K miles and it was still like new. Just bought a 98 GS 300 with 112K in top condition with current service in place. Can I expect the 6 cylinder to last as long and as trouble free as the 8?

How many miles are on yours?

New to the board. I had a LS400 a few years ago with over 180K miles and it was still like new. Just bought a 98 GS 300 with 112K in top condition with current service in place. Can I expect the 6 cylinder to last as long and as trouble free as the 8?

1999 GS300 with 96,000 miles and still running good.

and how much did you pay?

1999 GS300 with 96,000 miles and still running good.

and how much did you pay?

$12K...Probably too much but it's a one owner, all books and records, pearl and tan and showroom inside and out. NADA shows a "low retail" of 12K on up to a high of $15.5. What do you think?

Congrats on the purchase.

For that mileage, I think it is a little high but it also depends on locale. I would not worry about it. It is done. Enjoy it.

I have about 80k on my 98 and it is running great.

'98 With 83k on the odometer. CEL is on, but I think that is built into the computer at a certain mileage... can anyone back me up on that?

I've never heard of this "built in" feature. If your car is stock, you might want to get that looked at.

• 4 weeks later...

'98 With 83k on the odometer. CEL is on, but I think that is built into the computer at a certain mileage... can anyone back me up on that?

If the CEL is on it means something is dirty, worn or wrong with a sensor or other part and it's causing your engine to produce less power and get worse gas mileage.

In my opinion the l6 will out last a v8. A V motor can never be balanced, A straight motor is next to perfectly balanced. Less wear [ don't give me that crap about rpm's ] Not to mention straight motors have been around since te beginning of motoring, And are still going very strong.

OK, Let's hear the retribution :whistles:

For 30 years the durability limit of nearly all Toyota engines that have been perfectly maintained and unabusively driven since the day they were brand new has been in the range of 600,000 - 800,000 miles, regardless if they were inline 4's V6's, inline 6's or V8's.

In my opinion the l6 will out last a v8. A V motor can never be balanced, A straight motor is next to perfectly balanced. Less wear [ don't give me that crap about rpm's ] Not to mention straight motors have been around since te beginning of motoring, And are still going very strong.

Actually, oddly enough, I've got to agree with Monarch. The Lexus V8 has proven itself to last *so* long (I've seen LS400s with 500k) that really and truly, even if the I6 was to last "longer", that life wouldn't really matter.

To answer the original poster's question, yes you can expect the same life as the V8. I don't however believe any other Lexus takes miles as gracefully as an LS, I've driven a lot of older higher mileage Lexus' and for some reason the LS stays "new" feeling far, far, longer.

As for the CEL, some manufacturers do have the light come on to get the owner in for service, but Lexus does not. Probably no big deal, but there is definately a fault causing that light. You can have PepBoys read it for free if you want and then you'll know what it is. Probably an 02 sensor.

OK, Let's hear the retribution :whistles:

Well no retribution, but a question or two. Perhaps you could support your contention that a V type cylinder arrangement cannot be balanced as well as an inline six with a discussion of first and second order vibration analyses, supplemented with consideration of torsional rigidity and induced vibration from firing pulses.

My gut feeling is that with 140 million small block Chev engines having been produced, and with the preponderence of V engines in Formula 1, and Indy and IRL, that your arguments may lack some weight.

with 140 million small block Chev engines having been produced, and with the preponderence of V engines in Formula 1, and Indy and IRL, that your arguments may lack some weight.

thennnn why do most people think american engines don't last and suck? haha, i'm not here to argue...

98 gs4, 72K, $16.5K... now at 79K miles. did a atf flush when i first got it... oil changes... intake... its just so nice. i'm going to have this car for a LONG LONG time.

Hi just signed in 06 gs300 with 4000 miles and still going lol ok ok so im new to the forum and im trying this thing out so chill guys <and gals> didnt wanna offend our gals in here lol