Adding Wood To The Interior

So I heard from a few people about the wood interiors from searching on the site. I finally ended up picking Sherwood Dash with the natural factory match. I really like the way it's coming out. Make sure if your looking into doing this that you research the wood, testimonials, factory match, etc. Also make sure you read all the instructions carefully and don't skip cleaning the dash where the wood is placed or else the warantee is void and the part will most likely come off over time - which could be terrible because the cleaning process with Alcohol dulls the plastic and looks terrible so take your time. Here is a few pics off the begining of the project:

post-21157-1135799018_thumb.jpg

post-21157-1135799045_thumb.jpg

So I heard from a few people about the wood interiors from searching on the site. I finally ended up picking Sherwood Dash with the natural factory match. I really like the way it's coming out. Make sure if your looking into doing this that you research the wood, testimonials, factory match, etc. Also make sure you read all the instructions carefully and don't skip cleaning the dash where the wood is placed or else the warantee is void and the part will most likely come off over time - which could be terrible because the cleaning process with Alcohol dulls the plastic and looks terrible so take your time. Here is a few pics off the begining of the project:

Wood looks real nice... :cheers:

I think the key into wood trim is knowing when enough is enough.......

The wood looks nice.:cheers:

That is what the wife says, OHHH, All kidding on the side I like the look of it, I was/am considering adding some to the interior of my G3. I think subtle upgrades are appropriate. Just don't go overboard. It will be classy. ;)

I think the key into wood trim is knowing when enough is enough.......

The wood looks nice.:cheers:

That is what the wife says, OHHH, All kidding on the side I like the look of it, I was/am considering adding some to the interior of my G3. I think subtle upgrades are appropriate. Just don't go overboard. It will be classy. ;)

there are 2 things in this world that are best for cleaning your wood trim, real or not. Pledge funiture polish, and Car wax. preferably meguiars. clean with pledge and the apply wax (carefully so as not to get it on the dash,if you do, soapy water will take the white mark off the dashboard). this will keep your wood from fading and becoming brittle over time. :)

any swirl mark remover works too to remove the "foggyness" and scratches in the clear acrylic over the wood.

Use it on the wood steering wheels too to remove ring marks.

A few months back i made a piece of wood trim for the interior of my rx300 to go over the center console. Bought a chunk of walnut off ebay and did the rest! Ended up using red food coloring for the stain :geek: and 20 coats of clear acrylic. Lightly sanded it and polished it as if i was doing the exterior of a car. Looks PERFECT you never would have known "I" made it!

I like thw looks of a "bit" of wood trim, but too much doesn't look nice in my opinion.

any swirl mark remover works too to remove the "foggyness" and scratches in the clear acrylic over the wood.

Hmm.....definitely gotta try that one.

Made your own wood trim?!? Very crafty

It was a fun project after i got it right :lol:

And actually i think it was maple but i don't care..wood is wood! LOL The rx300 REALLY needed wood there in my opinion.

post-13420-1136344542_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1136344546_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1136344552_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1136344560_thumb.jpg

You couldn't be more right. Seriously some of the pieces that came with the kit are just too much. For example the radio - it just looks wrong there is so much wood you feel like your in a forest. So I'm doing a few pieces to accent the factory wood.

Thanks,

And actually i think it was maple but i don't care..wood is wood! LOL The rx300 REALLY needed wood there in my opinion.

Looks pretty slick . :cheers:

Looks pretty slick . :cheers:

Thanks, i really like it too!

The wood around the radio buttons (literally LOL) is WAYY too much in my opinion. You can always tell when it's "added" on too...When you put the wood stuff over the black on the radio....ahh just not my thing!

I do know MANY people that are in love with the wood though. some guys at work have it EVERYWHERE!

A "little" is classy.

imo less is more with the fake wood sticker stuff :)

I use nothing but a damp microfiber towel on my wood. I'd be scared to put waxes and other chemicals made for painted surfaces on it.

Well the clear stuff on the wood IS basically the same stuff on paint. As far as i know, it's either a clear epoxy or clear acrylic?

Whatever it is, i've used a LOT of stuff on it, and it's been fine.

There is a think layer of that clear stuff on the wood and a few minor abrasives aren't going to hurt it.