Should I Keep The Gs3?

I have a quick question...I have a 99 GS3 that I've had for about 15 months and have been trying to sell it for about 2 months now...the main reason I was selling it was because of the payments and the fact that I didn't think it handled all that well for the type of car I thought it was. (I had 2 Maxima's before so I was comparing the handling, quickness, etc).

Now I'm having second thoughts about selling it...I don't know if its cuz its the summer time or what but now I'm thinking I might just suck it up and make the payments (6 years @ $500 per) and maybe add some 18" rims and some other stuff to make the ride a bit "tighter". What should I do?? I'm in the hole either way money wise...if I sell it I have to eat about $4 or $5 grand and if I get some rims I'd be in the hole about $2 grand...so I might as well be in the hole in style with the bling bling rims and all right??? :rolleyes: ...

Who knows...I think I just have the summertime fever....anyway, take a look at my Lex and let me know what you think either way....Thanks.

One other thing...would a GS4 handle any better or is it just a faster GS3?? Cuz there is always the option of upgrading but to a car with higher miles and more wear etc...

I think the GS4 handling wise is the same as the GS3, just more power. You could upgrade the suspension...maybe coilovers or L-tuned to tighten up the handling. Maybe add aftermarket sway bars also.

Just curious, you say that you you're paying $500 for 6 years..that's $36K. I would think for that much you could've gotten a GS430 or GS400 at the least.

In any case...either trade up or stick with the GS and upgrade the suspension. I think you should do the suspension first and get the rims later.

Good luck.

Well, one of the big things that is dissapointing you about your GS is the wheels, even the upgrade to the factory Lexus 17s would make a difference in the handling. Poke around on this site and some other Lexus ones, any GS guy will tell you the GS can be a GREAT sports sedan, but you gotta build it up to be one. New rims, stiffer shocks and swaybars etc. My feeling is, if you're gonna be in the hole 4-5 grand, turn it around and use that money to make the car what you want it to be.

The only way the GS400 would handle better is if you got one with the 17 inch wheels. Buy better wheels and some springs and you'll run circles around a stock GS4.

The car is gorgeous, its got low miles, its in great shape. You're just having trouble selling it because like every other market, the car market is in the pooper.

This is just my opinion though...

Just curious, you say that you you're paying $500 for 6 years..that's $36K. I would think for that much you could've gotten a GS430 or GS400 at the least.

Yeah, I bought the car certified from the Lexus Dealer last year with about 18,000 miles on it for about $31K (and that's inlcuding my upside down Maxima and they didn't have any Black\Black GS4's). So I guess after interest and all it comes out to about $37K total payments...I streached it out over 7 years so I will be paying FOREVER. I got a good deal considering the 3 year 100,000 warranty and they took my hail damaged Max but those are still high !Removed! payments. That's one of the reason's I wanted to sell it but like someone else said the market is doo doo and I am only getting offers for around $23K for it. So I'm thinking I might as well just keep it and make it ride like I want...we'll see...thanks for the replies.

i say stick with it for several reasons...

like others have said. by doing a few things your gs will feel like a whole new car. i haven't done my suspension yet, but adding some 20s already made a huge difference!

unless the payments are killing you and you just gotta get out of it, keep it. it's a lex (toyota) and will not only run forever, but also retain it's value well. on that note, i'm surprised you're not getting any bites at that price with such low mileage.

lastly (what i'm planning on doing), keep it for a few years and get your moneys worth out of it, till the new gs comes out and then upgrade :)

Just a suggestion- if handling is a primary concern. For about 3,300 dollars you can get L-tuned springs and shocks, TRD sway bars, and the L-tuned staggered 18" wheels with Sport Pilots. Vast improvement - Got mine at Carsons Toyota- super sevice

OK, now I'm leaning towards keeping my Lex...I've given myself til Aug 31 to sell it and if I don't I will just refinance and get some rims, shocks, etc. So now I'm curious as to what I can do to make it handle the way I want. I like the "package' suggestion that upgrades just about everything but I'm not sure I want to drop $3500...and since I'm the layman on this, what exactly is L-tuned? Does that just mean that the car is dropped or is there more?? Coil-overs? I have no clue...don't worry I'll surf this site and more for most of the answers but if anyone wants to post a quick and dirty tutorial feel free :P

Thanks for all the advice!

I'm alittle late but IMo you should keep the GS.. Now with being said, let me explain "L-Tuned".. It's just pretty much a Label for a couple of Lexus aftermarket parts, and since they're with Lexus installing any L-Tuned part will not void any warranties and will be covered by Lexus if installed by them.. Now L-Tuned offers several things, first they have a Steering ECu upgrade which is supposed to make the car's steering more responsive.. Next they have 18" rims (which are staggered).. Then they have Struts/Springs which will tighten the suspension compared to stock and lower the car about 1"... Then they offer a front grill and side skirts...

Oh and coilovers are just a type of Shock/strut that is adjustable... So that means you'll be able to lower and raise your car to the height you want and not to predetermined height made by some company..

Now if you ask me first get yourself some factory 17's for around $800-$900. maybe someone will cut you a better deal if you trade them your 16's too.. Then upgrade your Struts/Shocks and get yourself a set of Swaybars.. Now with those 3 things you'll have your GS handling just like a BMW 540.. And I swear to you that you'll be impressed.. Another thing, you can always find this stuff used and in great condition.. But either way you go you'll be under $2,500 total...

I've driven Maximas, but I would say I like the feel of my GS300 better. Aside from that, I think you should keep the GS300. I mean it's a LEXUS man! Comfort and style abound... To me there's no question - keep the Lexus. But it's up to you, ultimately. If you simply can't afford it, you can't afford it.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the lowdown Sypher,

Once I have my mind made up L-tuned seems the way to go but I might just go the "cheap" route and just get some shocks and stock 17"s. I'll make sure I post some pics when and if I do get all this done...

Oh and one other thing...what kind of rims are on this Lex?? I saw it on one of your posts about body kits...man they are tight! I would pay a little more for some 18's like these...but not too much :D

gs430.jpg