Input Address While Driving

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is there a way to modify the navigator to allow me to add addresses while driving. any plugs i can unplug to trick it?

Don't know of anyone that's done it yet, but I'm sure someone will. People came up with ways to bypass on the GS pretty quickly.

there is a way to do it but it is not permanent. It has to be done everytime you start your car.

Press Menu

Press Volume

Press the Top Left Corner of the Screen

Press the Bottom Left Corner of the Screen

A Menu will come up.

Press and Hold Override for 5 seconds or until you hear a beep

Hit back and you are done, you should be able to enter destinations while driving.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

that requires a little more work than a few pushes of buttons. It actually requires you to remove the dash and buy some parts from computer geniuses and insert it. But....thats gonna void any sort of warranty you have on your nav, which is 5 years. But then again, my brothers nav broke on his LS and htey changed it for him for free even tho its warranty expired, typical lexus.

that requires a little more work than a few pushes of buttons. It actually requires you to remove the dash and buy some parts from computer geniuses and insert it. But....thats gonna void any sort of warranty you have on your nav, which is 5 years. But then again, my brothers nav broke on his LS and htey changed it for him for free even tho its warranty expired, typical lexus.

I would still be interested to know what it would take and approximate cost. Has anyone done this conversion on an IS350?

Thanks for any feedback on this.

• 5 months later...

is there a way to modify the navigator to allow me to add addresses while driving. any plugs i can unplug to trick it?

I just purchased the 2007 IS250AWD and the Nav bypass does not work as indicated in this users group. Lexus must have made changes from the 2006 to 2007 ... Yikes!

Thank you,

Steve

Don't know of anyone that's done it yet, but I'm sure someone will. People came up with ways to bypass on the GS pretty quickly.

I just purchased the 2007 IS250AWD and the Nav bypass does not work as indicated in this users group. Lexus must have made changes from the 2006 to 2007 ... Yikes!

Thank you,

Steve

This is great that we can enter an address while driving but how about a way to dial a phone number that is not already loaded in the address book or speed dial? I saw there were ways to do it on other models but it does not work for the IS250. This would be a great help. Thank you

there is a way to do it but it is not permanent. It has to be done everytime you start your car.

Press Menu

Press Volume

A Menu will come up.

Press and Hold Override for 5 seconds or until you hear a beep

Hit back and you are done, you should be able to enter destinations while driving.

This trick does not work with the 2007 IS250... Yikes

• 4 weeks later...

Well, everyone is till trying to figure this out for the new Denso 6.1 Nav. I found a service menu in another users group that lets you get to the system menu.

I was able to get into the service menu by turning on the car, (not starting) holding the info button down and flashing parking lights on and off, but a las no override button, not at at all......

Hmmmm....

See link below:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/lofiv...php/t11148.html

• 2 weeks later...

I am still looking for a way to deal with the Denso 6.1 Nav Lock and in my research it would appear that Lexus did in fact pull the plug on their firmware and will no longer allow you to bypass this function.

The only success so far is for people who have made their own Dual Layer DVD using the 5.1 DVD startup file which does work but a pain to make. I still wonder why Lexus feels the consumer will hold them responsible for using the NAV while driving.

Its a real pain as I am sure you know that everytime you want to make a call, lookup an address, etc. you need to pull off the road and park the car. Yeah, the voice works "sometimes" but not all the well. The funny thing is if you say "Nearest Gas Station" it will not allow you to display the list unless you stop the car ... now that is really funny! NOT

I must say, Acura and Honda have the best NAV for both Voice system in the industry. I showed our Lexus folks how their NAV works and the ease of voice control and they only said "Hmmmm, that's really nice!"

You would think that Lexus would take a look at what Honda and Acura have done and just copy some of the excellent voice commands and improve their own function and use. OK enough!

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned a Pioneer AVIC N2 in the past and it had the same restrictions on viewing DVD's and inputting addresses while the car is moving. In order to bypass this restrictions I had a switch put in on the nav antenae. when you turned the switch on the power to the antenea was cut and you could enter what you wanted or watch dvd's. turn the switch back off and the gps had to find itself again but would work just fine after a few seconds. This is the only solution that I can think of. Talk to people who have the Pioneer unit and they will explain it to you.

Good Luck... I am going to wait abit before I pull my cover off and try this but if anyone has guts please let me know if it works.

Bobby C

• 2 weeks later...

Well, everyone is till trying to figure this out for the new Denso 6.1 Nav. I found a service menu in another users group that lets you get to the system menu.

I was able to get into the service menu by turning on the car, (not starting) holding the info button down and flashing parking lights on and off, but a las no override button, not at at all......

Hmmmm....

See link below:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/lofiv...php/t11148.html

I just picked up an "07 IS. I downloaded the complete vehicle EWD and have drawn out a real fix for the input while driving issue. I plan to do this within a few weeks. I'll let you all know how it goes but it should work perfect. By the way, this fix is turned on via switch. If the switch is off, the wiring will be 100% factory (in case of service).

I also plan to install a front camera activated when the foot break is pushed along with placing your left foot on the foot rest. Though most parking stops are low enough, some will damage the front bumper (plus it's just a cool thing to do)... :D

I just picked up an "07 IS. I downloaded the complete vehicle EWD and have drawn out a real fix for the input while driving issue. I plan to do this within a few weeks. I'll let you all know how it goes but it should work perfect. By the way, this fix is turned on via switch. If the switch is off, the wiring will be 100% factory (in case of service).

I also plan to install a front camera activated when the foot break is pushed along with placing your left foot on the foot rest. Though most parking stops are low enough, some will damage the front bumper (plus it's just a cool thing to do)... :D

Hey Lex, I tried to PM you but I don't think PM or email works on this forum? Anyway, there are a small handful of us that are doing something similar to you... We should get in touch and collaborate...

Hey Lex, I tried to PM you but I don't think PM or email works on this forum? Anyway, there are a small handful of us that are doing something similar to you... We should get in touch and collaborate...

Sounds like a good idea. I just picked up the parts needed for both the front camera and NAV bypass. I may get to it this weekend... Do you need the EWD's? I have ALL of them... :ph34r:

Sounds like a good idea. I just picked up the parts needed for both the front camera and NAV bypass. I may get to it this weekend... Do you need the EWD's? I have ALL of them... :ph34r:

We'll talk... Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We'll talk... Thanks!

Hey guys,

I was able to accomplish my main goal (just not the way I truly wanted to). Since the NAV incorporates the input blocking feature within its code, bypassing the VSS into the LCD/Radio unit and re-routing it to the NAV through relays will not work (same as hardwire posts). Furthermore, bypassing the VSS altogether stops the NAV from working (as you would expect). If you are really computer savvy, there is a way to make it work if you have an older version of NAV software (pre-6.1). I didn’t have the time to mess with that so here is my solution.

Navigation Overide for '06/'07 (Version 6.1)

By using relays and a switch, the bottom line we all want to get to is reachable. Simply install a relay block that works off of a switch that will (when activated) send a ground to the LCD side of the Parking Break wire and interrupt the main VSS input. Long story short, when the switch is on, you can operate ALL functions of the NAV, Phone and Audio system including input while driving. When done, flip the switch back and it only takes seconds for the system to sync up (it's almost seamless). The only issue you may have is that at high speeds (freeway) you may have to flip the switch off-then-on once or twice as the GPS portion gets LAT and LON Pings every minute or so and inhibits the input (not a big deal). I can post instructions if needed.

Keep in mind this could be done much simpler but the way I've done it reverts the system back to a 100% factory configuration when the switch is off. Furthermore, it's driven via Ignition so it's impossible to accidentally leave the switch on and run down the battery.

With regard to accessing the factory menu, I was able to get into a secret menu (using the hold/P-Light 3-flash technique) but as stated in other posts, the override is not there or hidden deeper. Until the answer comes out, the solution I have explained works well. But, I caution you...there is a reason why they have went to great lengths to stop people from input while driving. As more accidents happen (and they will), input while driving may and probably will become illegal. If you do this, be smart about it and BE CAREFUL !!!!!!!

Front Cam is next...

Take care,

;)

Will you be able to share the details on how to do this? I got to drive the GS330AWD for a couple weeks and the 5.01 override works great! If only on the IS250AWD as well.

Thank you and great job.

Yes, I'm happy to Post them. However, I'm crazy busy at work right now and need some time to get to it.

Take care,

:o