Input Address While Driving

I am slowly getting to the point where I will be looking into a bypass system as well but haven't started yet.

Lex-A-Lot, from what I gather, you are inhibiting the Vss lead to Parking Brake. Now, my question is <and please excuse my ignorance since I don't have any of the EWD's, wiring diagrams, and schematics> why not just inhibit the lead that sends the speed data of the car? Because with the 6.1 Gen Navi's I believe there is a 6mph cut-off between full operation and limited operation of the controls. Therefore, I would hard pressed its solely reliant on Parking Break and there may be a side effect free sol'n by just manipulating the speed data. Possible a dead-reckoning line for the GPS signal?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am slowly getting to the point where I will be looking into a bypass system as well but haven't started yet.

Lex-A-Lot, from what I gather, you are inhibiting the Vss lead to Parking Brake. Now, my question is <and please excuse my ignorance since I don't have any of the EWD's, wiring diagrams, and schematics> why not just inhibit the lead that sends the speed data of the car? Because with the 6.1 Gen Navi's I believe there is a 6mph cut-off between full operation and limited operation of the controls. Therefore, I would hard pressed its solely reliant on Parking Break and there may be a side effect free sol'n by just manipulating the speed data. Possible a dead-reckoning line for the GPS signal?

Hey Bro, Big Lex here...

I'm sorry if my post is confusing. To answer your questions (though slightly more complicated) that's exactly what I did... I used relays to inhibit both the main VSS feed and the P-Break. Again, the relays work from an ignition fed switch so when off, the vehicle is completely stock. When on, I have full control and can enter addresses, or any other function at will. Only issue is at freeway speeds you may have to flip the switch again. If you want to do it quick, just put a high-quality switch on the main VSS feed and you're done...

The reason I’ve yet to post the instructions is I haven’t had time to draw them out in an illustration program (since they are in my head at the moment). I will soon.

Hope this clears it up... ;)

• 4 weeks later...

is there a way to modify the navigator to allow me to add addresses while driving. any plugs i can unplug to trick it?

I just purchased the 2007 IS250AWD and the Nav bypass does not work as indicated in this users group. Lexus must have made changes from the 2006 to 2007 ... Yikes!

Thank you,

Steve

Don't know of anyone that's done it yet, but I'm sure someone will. People came up with ways to bypass on the GS pretty quickly.

This is great that we can enter an address while driving but how about a way to dial a phone number that is not already loaded in the address book or speed dial? I saw there were ways to do it on other models but it does not work for the IS250. This would be a great help. Thank you

I have the M/L and I dial my phone by voice , push the button on the steering wheel for the phone and after the beep say dial by number, the voice responds after brief delay to reset system then push the voice sw again and say the number, she will repeat number and it's also desplayed in nav screen and you can make the call..

George

• 2 months later...

I was able to accomplish my main goal (just not the way I truly wanted to). Since the NAV incorporates the input blocking feature within its code, bypassing the VSS into the LCD/Radio unit and re-routing it to the NAV through relays will not work (same as hardwire posts). Furthermore, bypassing the VSS altogether stops the NAV from working (as you would expect). If you are really computer savvy, there is a way to make it work if you have an older version of NAV software (pre-6.1). I didn’t have the time to mess with that so here is my solution.

Hi. I'd like more information how to do the software 'hack' for the NAV input while moving. If someone can give instructions, and where I might find a ISO image or files needed for creating this DVD.

Dan

Okay, so what ever happen to this "solution" that was supposed to be posted? It looks like that guy forgot about us... Anyone have any electrical drawings for this car? I am an electrical engineer and would love to take this problem about and fix it so we can do what ought to have been allowed in the first place! Anyone have anything that might help me let me know!

Ben,

Have you done this mod?

Dan

Hell no, but there are lots more users on the clublexus forum and many have. Its more of a pain than its worth in my opinion. First of all the idea of tearing apart a car I just bought less than a week ago that cost me almost 40k is not one I am fond of. Second you have to use the switch just every time you want to enter an address and during that time your GPS will not work properly until you turn the switch off. Secondly, I dont find it that bad that I cant use something with the phone while Im driving, I use voice dialing all the time anyway. Thirdly, The mp3 folder list thing is terrible anyway. In fact the whole mp3 player is pretty bad in these toyota nav units. I use just my ipod now. I actually like to have a random song come up when i skip one, i like to see the whole artist and title when my music is playing, and I like to be able to search my songs a LOT faster than the nav unit does it. So no, I will not be doing the hack. But in case you guys want it, there it is.

• 1 month later...

Ben,

Have you done this mod?

Dan

Hell no, but there are lots more users on the clublexus forum and many have. Its more of a pain than its worth in my opinion. First of all the idea of tearing apart a car I just bought less than a week ago that cost me almost 40k is not one I am fond of. Second you have to use the switch just every time you want to enter an address and during that time your GPS will not work properly until you turn the switch off. Secondly, I dont find it that bad that I cant use something with the phone while Im driving, I use voice dialing all the time anyway. Thirdly, The mp3 folder list thing is terrible anyway. In fact the whole mp3 player is pretty bad in these toyota nav units. I use just my ipod now. I actually like to have a random song come up when i skip one, i like to see the whole artist and title when my music is playing, and I like to be able to search my songs a LOT faster than the nav unit does it. So no, I will not be doing the hack. But in case you guys want it, there it is.

Hey guys,

Sorry, got real busy (for several months).

The MOD works as I said but like the final post, it is kind of a pain. If you follow the link (few posts above) it shows part of the process. However, if you follow that exactly, you still will NOT be able to input while driving. You must follow my earlier post. I don't have the time to draw this out in a diagram right now.

I'll try and get to it at some point.

FYI,

I just put 19" wheels on it and it looks, rides and performes better than ever. Don't let people say 19" don't work (just remember to reinstall the low- pressure sensors).

Cya,

Lex

• 2 weeks later...

For any of you who are interested, I found a service that will permanently unlock your Lexus Nav with out voiding the warranty, I found them through the Lexus dealer where I purchased my car, they did my bluetooth integration, Lexus called it Concierge Service. They are going to do the unlock for me for $300, well worth it for me since I have absolutely no desire to rip my car apart myself.

Also, they do a full Ipod integration as well for an additional charge, that one is a little high in price but if you do unlock and integration together there is a discount since they have already pulled the head unit out.

The unlock will allow you to use the phone, watch dvd's and do any other grayed functions you would not normally have if the car was in drive.

Just thought I would let you all know.

For any of you who are interested, I found a service that will permanently unlock your Lexus Nav with out voiding the warranty, I found them through the Lexus dealer where I purchased my car, they did my bluetooth integration, Lexus called it Concierge Service. They are going to do the unlock for me for $300, well worth it for me since I have absolutely no desire to rip my car apart myself.

Also, they do a full Ipod integration as well for an additional charge, that one is a little high in price but if you do unlock and integration together there is a discount since they have already pulled the head unit out.

The unlock will allow you to use the phone, watch dvd's and do any other grayed functions you would not normally have if the car was in drive.

Just thought I would let you all know.

Can you post the name of this company and the method they plan on using?

Thanks,

JDL

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you figure out how to input a address while driving please let me know. It is a real problem for me if a passenger can't input a address. Thanks

Well, everyone is till trying to figure this out for the new Denso 6.1 Nav. I found a service menu in another users group that lets you get to the system menu.

I was able to get into the service menu by turning on the car, (not starting) holding the info button down and flashing parking lights on and off, but a las no override button, not at at all......

Hmmmm....

See link below:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/lofiv...php/t11148.html

I just picked up an "07 IS. I downloaded the complete vehicle EWD and have drawn out a real fix for the input while driving issue. I plan to do this within a few weeks. I'll let you all know how it goes but it should work perfect. By the way, this fix is turned on via switch. If the switch is off, the wiring will be 100% factory (in case of service).

I also plan to install a front camera activated when the foot break is pushed along with placing your left foot on the foot rest. Though most parking stops are low enough, some will damage the front bumper (plus it's just a cool thing to do)... :D

Can someone please explain what can and cannot be used while the car is moving? I know address input and telephone #'s aren't allowed, but what about using the touch screen for stuff like the radio and a/c? Or what about other features of the nav such as zooming or changing the position of the screen? Can any of these be used while in motion? If not, it may seriously affect my intentions of buying this car. The nav system in my Civic seems better than this as you can do everything whether you are moving or not.......

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone please explain what can and cannot be used while the car is moving? I know address input and telephone #'s aren't allowed, but what about using the touch screen for stuff like the radio and a/c? Or what about other features of the nav such as zooming or changing the position of the screen? Can any of these be used while in motion? If not, it may seriously affect my intentions of buying this car. The nav system in my Civic seems better than this as you can do everything whether you are moving or not.......

I drive a 2004 RX 330 and the only thing I cannot do while driving (without first performing the override sequence) is enter a new address. All other controls seem to work for me (although I don't have the blue tooth dialing option).

Now, for anyone else who, like me, can't use the oft repeated "Menu -> Volume -> UL, LR etc.." sequence to override the new destination blocking feature, here is a link at www.cartv.com as well as three sets of instructions for performing the override on various Lexus/Toyota incarnations. I'm relatively sure these will not help with 2006 or later models but it sure helped me and I wanted to pass it on to others who may need it:

(This is the one everyone repeats in this forum)

Step 1 Press The Menu button

Step 2 Press the Volume button

Step 3 Press The Upper Left of the screen

Step 4 Press The Lower Left of the screen

Step 5 Press Upper Left of the screen again

Step 6 Press Lower Left of the screen again

Step 7 Press and hold the Override Button until system beeps

Step 8 Press Back Button in upper right corner

Done! The Buttons For Navigation & Phone are now accessible

(I don't have a system button so I couldn't use this one)

Older Lexus and Toyota Systems may require a slightly different process:

Step 2 Press the System button

Step 7 Press The Lower Right of the screen

Step 8 Press and hold the Override Button until system beeps

Step 9 Press Back Button in upper right corner

Some versions may use the following steps:

(Worked for me! )

Step 2 Press the DVD button

Step 7 Press The Lower Right of the screen

Step 8 Press and hold the Override Button until system beeps

Step 9 Press Back Button in upper right corner

And the link where I finally found this:

http://www.cartv.com/content/research/chan...us/MODEL_VCH/LS

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok--I'm not loud protester when it comes to the nav lockout. I sometimes use my Honda nav while moving when driving my wife's car--and I shouldn't.

BUT--why'd Lexus lock out the "Previous Destination" feature. How is that any different than the numbered presets??