06 Rx330 Loaded Or 06 Rx400h?

I went to the Lexus dealership earlier today to test drive the new RX and was quite impressed with the way things are going for the Lexus SUV. As an owner of a 2000 RX, I'm confident that my replacement for my 6 year old aging SUV will be the 06 RX. But after talking it over on terms with a salesman, I'm not quite sure if I should opt for the 330 or the 400h.

What I'm looking for is an RX with navigation equipped (I'm quite often on the road), and none of the rear DVD, Mark Levinson, packages. We looked at a loaded RX330 for around $44,000 (out the door). This price included Navi. Given the MSRP of the 330 at 37, that's almost $7,000 in options.

The number wasn't very appealing so I considered later about the 400h. The 400h comes equipped with all the standard features except for the navi which is a $2,300 package. With the $2,000 tax break, wouldn't it be just economicaly more sound if I wanted a loaded navi RX to go for a 400h over a fully loaded 330?

The dealer "gave us" a $3,000 discount on the 330 to arrive at $44,000 OTD. My second question is if any of you think that there is more room to go on the OTD price for the 330?

Thanks,

Michael

I drive the 400h for work and also considered the rx330 as a way to save money. Once i drove both cars i did prefer how the 400h handled, the quickness of the 400h is probably its best feature and the potential fuel savings. Also a side benefit that i wasnt aware of is the hybrid has made driving more interesting, i think im a more safe driver as i leave more space between cars and you are more relaxed in heavy traffic as you are using less fuel. The CVT trans on the 400h is so much smoother and it removed me from the hesitation issues of the 330. I would get navi on either car, the Mark Levinson is probably overrated, i listened to the Bose system on the rx it its pretty good. I dont need DVD or towing. Also for resale the 330 might take a small hit as the rx350 is about to come out. Remember the tax break helps but thru 2005 it is a percentage of 2000 that you will save in taxes based on the rate you pay. In 2006 the hybrid credit is an actual $2000 tax credit, there is a difference. Lastly i think there is room in the 44K price on the 330 your dealer quoted you. tell us what you decide... .. .

I traded in my 04 rx330 for the 06 400h, Best thing I ever did.

I agree the CVT and the Hybrid are very interesting and economy will be up to the roads and driving habits.

For me I drive to and from Manhattan every day. Mileage with the 330 was avg 15-17. With the 400h it averages between 21-26, but more power no hesitation, and cool looking wheels.

You won't be sorry, just don't bank on the gas mileage, there are lots of factors that will determine what it really will be.

I would go for the rx400h as well. Being an owner of the 330, which i love, i sometimes wished that i waited a year just to get the hybrid. Long term use benefits is obviously the gas money you save, but also in 2006, (this is from the lexus website itself) theres suppose to be an IRS tax deduction of up to 3K for california. Check your state as well. But the hybrid may also need more maintenance and probably cost a lot more is something happened to the battery etc. Either way both cars are great. I personally dont think that you can get much more off the OTD price because 3 K is a lot already. happy choosing.

I would go for the rx400h as well. Being an owner of the 330, which i love, i sometimes wished that i waited a year just to get the hybrid. Long term use benefits is obviously the gas money you save, but also in 2006, (this is from the lexus website itself) theres suppose to be an IRS tax deduction of up to 3K for california. Check your state as well. But the hybrid may also need more maintenance and probably cost a lot more is something happened to the battery etc. Either way both cars are great. I personally dont think that you can get much more off the OTD price because 3 K is a lot already. happy choosing.

Actually, with the 8 yr 100,000 mile coverage on the battery, I don't believe that your maintenance costs will differ significantly from the 330. I would also venture to say that the 400's resale will be considerably better in the first 5 years. Thereafter the impending battery replacement may affect it's resale, though I would also think that the cost of battery placement will also drop dramatically in the next few years.

Is navigation now an option on the 400h? - that was a standard feature for a long time unless they have changed that.

To answer your question - get the 400h. Its a full second faster, gets much better gas mileage, and runs so quiet.

Is navigation now an option on the 400h? - that was a standard feature for a long time unless they have changed that.

It's always been an option. It's just that almost all of the supply coming to the US were equipped with this, ML, and heated seats.

I traded in my 04 rx330 for the 06 400h, Best thing I ever did.

I agree the CVT and the Hybrid are very interesting and economy will be up to the roads and driving habits.

For me I drive to and from Manhattan every day. Mileage with the 330 was avg 15-17. With the 400h it averages between 21-26, but more power no hesitation, and cool looking wheels.

You won't be sorry, just don't bank on the gas mileage, there are lots of factors that will determine what it really will be.

I was looking at the pic of your 400h ... can you tell me what running board/nerf bars you have on it? Any other "better" pictures of the nerf bars? Thanks!

I went to the Lexus dealership earlier today to test drive the new RX and was quite impressed with the way things are going for the Lexus SUV. As an owner of a 2000 RX, I'm confident that my replacement for my 6 year old aging SUV will be the 06 RX. But after talking it over on terms with a salesman, I'm not quite sure if I should opt for the 330 or the 400h.

What I'm looking for is an RX with navigation equipped (I'm quite often on the road), and none of the rear DVD, Mark Levinson, packages. We looked at a loaded RX330 for around $44,000 (out the door). This price included Navi. Given the MSRP of the 330 at 37, that's almost $7,000 in options.

The number wasn't very appealing so I considered later about the 400h. The 400h comes equipped with all the standard features except for the navi which is a $2,300 package. With the $2,000 tax break, wouldn't it be just economicaly more sound if I wanted a loaded navi RX to go for a 400h over a fully loaded 330?

The dealer "gave us" a $3,000 discount on the 330 to arrive at $44,000 OTD. My second question is if any of you think that there is more room to go on the OTD price for the 330?

Thanks,

Michael

There are positives to each imho ...

Of course you'll save money on the 330 being as though it's cheaper as well as the fact you can get a larger discount on a 330 as well ... you would have to own the 400h for a LONG time to make up on the extra cost with gas cost savings. Of course there are benefits (like helping reduce gas usage, etc) that go with owning the 400h that can't be measured in dollars as easily.

Other thoughts:

There are little things I don't like about the 400h ... I don't care for the rims as much mostly b/c I like the 18s on my 330 after having them chromed since I have the Black Onyx exterior ... haven't heard from anyone chroming their 400h rims yet to know how they look. I don't care for the round foglamps on the 400h as well as the 330's either ... small detail I know. I also don't like the fact that I'l'l probably feel obligated to have almost ALL my service done at the Lexus dealership due to the Hybrid system (= more ridiculously high service costs for piddly things like oil changes, tire rotations, etc). I know Toyota has proven they know hybrid technology well, but I also hesitate b/c of the newness of the 400h.

However, I really like the aluminum interior trim (you CAN get wood now). The CVT transmission is FAR FAR better than the 330's traditional transmission. The fuel economy is great for a V-8 performing vehicle.

All said ... I'd probably elect for the 400h over the 330 if you can justify the extra cost of the car to yourself.