Idle Vibration

bluestu

You're correct. The vibration only becomes noticeable when the engine has warmed up and the rpms drop to 6k. Put the car in neutral and the rpms increase to 8k, and the vibration is totally gone. It has something to do with the AWD transmission being engaged. I called Lexus, and of course they hadn't heard of the problem.

You're correct. The vibration only becomes noticeable when the engine has warmed up and the rpms drop to 6k. Put the car in neutral and the rpms increase to 8k, and the vibration is totally gone. It has something to do with the AWD transmission being engaged. I called Lexus, and of course they hadn't heard of the problem.

Do you mean 600 and 800 rpm's rather than 6k and 8k ? If it is really 6k and 8k, then this is bizarre.

Do you mean 600 and 800 rpm's rather than 6k and 8k ? If it is really 6k and 8k, then this is bizarre.

Sorry, my mistake. I am getting old.

Yes, if your RX is over 90,000 miles, all the following will improve idle vibration and keep your RX in top condition:

-new engine mount

-new muffler mount

-new iridium plugs

-new throttle position sensor

-cleaned throttle body

-cleaned idle air control valve

-fresh type IV transmission fluid

-consistently using synthetic engine oil every 4-5000 miles

Even by switching engine oil grade from 5w-30 to 10w-30, you'll feel the difference in idle vibration. The truth is the idle vibration can be improved but never be eliminated. It applies to Toyota/Lexus using the same 3.0L V6. Excessive vibration can be a sign of engine sludge, or partially blocked oil pickup screen. This will be the last thing we want to happen to our RX.

Yes, if your RX is over 90,000 miles, all the following will improve idle vibration and keep your RX in top condition:

-new engine mount

-new muffler mount

-new iridium plugs

-cleaned throttle body

Even by switching engine oil grade from 5w-30 to 10w-30, you'll feel the difference in idle vibration. The truth is the idle vibration can be improved but never be eliminated. It applies to Toyota/Lexus using the same 3.0L V6. Excessive vibration can be a sign of engine sludge, or partially blocked oil pickup screen. This will be the last thing we want to happen to our RX.

Ok, most of the listed items are very intuitive, but why/how do transmission fluid and motor oil affect idle ?

• 2 weeks later...

-new engine mount

-new muffler mount

-new iridium plugs

-cleaned throttle body

My '99 RX300 has 90,000 miles on it. I, too, am experiencing increased vibration sound at idle, and I'm feeling more vibration in the steering wheel at idle. Hardened engine mounts would explain it.

Is it safe to switch to synthetic oil after using conventional oil up until now?

Ditto that , its definitely safe. If you're the worrying type you can do another oil change at 2k (or earlier) to be sure all the dino oil is gone but when I switched I didn't bother and I don't think there are any problems. With a 99 you should definitely be using Syn oil to avoid sludging.

• 3 weeks later...

update:

went to another dealer. He diagnosed bad IAC. replaced it.

First impression. Vibration is there, but reduced than before.

How much did it cost to get your IAC replaced and did it make a big difference in the idle vibration? thanks.

• 7 years later...

• 8 years later...

I HAVE THE SAME VIBRATION ON MY 2002 RX300. REPLACED MOTOR MOUNTS, IACV AND THRODLE BODY SENSOR, CLEANED THRODLE BODY ETC. ONLY WHEN THE CAR IS WARM, BUT IT DOES NOT DO THIS ALL THIME, SOME DAYS SMOOTH, OTHERS VIBRATES. REMINDES ME OF MY FRIST WIFE. CAR RUNS LIKE A TOP, NO CODES, ITS BUGGING THE CRAP OUT OF ME. 200K MILES AND THE CAR DID NOT DO THIS A YEAR AGO WHEN I GOT IT, JUST RECENTLY STARTED. HELP PLEASE

• 2 weeks later...

Good information and discussion, here.  Thank to all for your posts.

I have a '99 and it does the same thing.  My dad bought it in 2001 or 2002 and says he always remembers it doing this.   I do shift into neutral frequently when I come to a stop because the drone in the cabin is quite irritating, although I would not say I feel very much of a vibration.  The vibration is only slight.

Steve