Back From Inspection At Dealer

91L3xus

Well I just went in for the inspection due on my car, and after about 4 hours of waiting around enjoying the free hot chocolate, Coke, computers and doughnuts I was informed that my car had failed the inspection. Reason? Completely busted dogbone mount and engine and tranmission mounts. Cost to repair? 750 bucks. <_<

Wondering if it would be cheaper to go independent or stay at the dealer for the repair. I would rather get rid of the car, but my mom recently got into another accident so she needs my 4Runner. <_<

Well I just went in for the inspection due on my car, and after about 4 hours of waiting around enjoying the free hot chocolate, Coke, computers and doughnuts I was informed that my car had failed the inspection.  Reason?  Completely busted dogbone mount and engine and tranmission mounts.  Cost to repair? 750 bucks. <_<

Wondering if it would be cheaper to go independent or stay at the dealer for the repair.  I would rather get rid of the car, but my mom recently got into another accident so she needs my 4Runner. <_<

You can easily change those mounts yourself. Mounts I am guessing less than $200.00

Take a trusted floor jack, put a piece of wood on it & jack the oil pan up enough to take the pressure off whatever mount you're working on. (The wood keeps the jack from gouging the pan & denting it. Most jacks have little flanges & indentations on them.)

The dogbone is easy. If you've got time to play around with it you can rebuild them for like $10.

Buy some 3M Window urethane

Bust out the cracked rubber & rebuild it with 3M.

Needs a day to setup & cure by itself, then just bolt it back in.

You could probably do the same thing for one, or two of the transmission mounts. I've seen them & thought about doing it, but didn't get around to looking at them closely.

If you want it to feel stiffer (Better launches, but mroe vibration) You can find some poly inserts (Like Energy Suspension) & put them in there. (Again 3M it in place)

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/a...ler/output_html

The dogbone is not load bearing. You don't need to jack it up to take it off, but the rest you will.

$750 is your typical Lexus dealer crap. Buy them yourself & either try to put them in yourself, or pay an honest person to do it for you.

(The rear mount is the biggest pain in the !Removed! ever. The axle runs through it. <_< Thank yoooooou Toyota!)

Well, brought it in today, the car was done by about 6:30 so it took +/- 8 hours to do the job, and turn the front left tire in the correct direction. Now all they have to do is get the paperwork sorted out and wash it (hopefully after the big ice storm and snow storm we're getting over the next day or so). They gave my mom a 2005 Xterra with 190 miles on it, took it out for a spin and it's really powerful...just don't tell anyone, since I'm not insured for it. :ph34r:

post-18112-1134094185_thumb.jpg

Thank you for letting your Lexus Dealer do the work for you. I'm the guy that sells them the 'Free" Coffe, Coke, Hot Chocolet, Donuts, etc., and if it wasn't for good folks like you paying "full pop", and piging out on the freebee's, I would have to get a real job!

Just kidding, I'm one of those guys that would let my indy guy do it for 400 or 500, and buy my own stuff :cheers: