Can't Clear Lights. Another Option!

Hey guys. I am like a few guys in that I cant clear my light's as to not having an oven.. I live in Japan, and they just dont have ovens here..

Anyways, I tried many different ways to get my lights open, with no luck.. So the other day, I was playing with some chrome tape, and decided to put a piece along the bottom amber strip on the headlight.. I did this, and thought not bad ;) ..

After playing with it a while, I cut it in to match the shape of everything, and stood back, and thought, pretty good.. After a few days, I dont even notice it, and as it is reflective (chrome) it just looks like part of the light assembly..

I have posted some pictures of my Silver ES in the gallery for you to have a look and judge for youself!.. Eventually I will get my lights clear. But for now, this is a good alternative.. Also, if you put it on neatly, and cut it in with a stanly knife to match, it doesnt look tacky, it actually looks quite good!..

Lex, I saw your black ES that you put in the gallery, and noticed that you covered your light with something.. Give the chrome a try and send us a pic!

:ph34r: Chris :ph34r:

Here you go, a close up of the headlight.. I went into a store here in Japan called GooDay.. Its basically a Japanese Home Depot.. Anyways, found the tape in the tape section, with all other kinds of chrome tape.. Mainly it is used for using around rusty sinks and all that sought of stuff, so I knew it would be water resisitant.. It is actually quite thin I guess, so was easy to put on the light and cut around.. To be honest with you, I really dont know why they put an amber strip in that light anyway, as if you watch your turn signal. That part of the light does not light up.. its the light that is at the side of the headlight itself.. So covering it up is not a problem. And as for the parking light, it actually shines through the tape and has a nice little affect all its own.. If you look at that pic, it really doesnt look odd at all. I think? And when you are at a distance, you certainly dont notice it! Just looks cleared... It is an alternative to the guys that either dont have an oven, or are hesitant to try and clear them.....

post-7-1059041716.jpg

Well done my friend... it funny you did that .. cause i had an idea similar to that.... only i was thinking of black tape for the top part...

i think that amber piece if there for the projection of the blinker...

Looks good though...

Good alternative... although i need to open mine up anyways and clean them from inside and then seal them up so that it stops condensing inside so much ..

Hahaha.. The flames...Nah, just for a laugh... But to be honest with you, I am starting to like them.. I get alot of looks with them on there... But I think I will take them off at some stage..

Also, I think that unless you have a body kit on the ES, it really isnt a car that can be made to look like a sporty, performance type car like a GS or something... The shape doesnt allow the car to be played with and to look sporty.. So I am thinking of taking the Lexus decal off the windscreen and the flames off the side, and just having it look stock...

The fact that the rear end sits up on these things, and the front and back lower spoilers(If you can call it that?)on them sits way too high, then I think these are a difficult shaped car's to tamper with....

I am deffinately putting new rims on it, but think that the price is way too high and excesive to buy a few pieces of fibreglass to throw around the bottom for a body kit.. I really dont think that these kits were that hard to build for any manufacturer, and cant believe they are worth that much? (I hope they read these bords?)

Because if they made the prices for these body kits reasonable, then I am sure that 99% of the guys on this board would invest in a set, and their sales would increase.. Their product isnt so wonderfull that I am going to pay thousands and thousands of dollars for it!!!! Seriously!!.. Not that wonderfull??

Anyways, glad you guys liked my chromed light idea.. Some guys might like it, some might not.. But give it a try and see how you go!.. Also take some pictures of the whole car after you have done, and a close up like I did.. I am very interested to see how everyone elses turned out!

hey chris

I am buying some new clear side indicators... they are for an LS430 but i am going to fit them to my Windom as they are clear instaed of orange.. you should check them out... I did have a pic somehwere and I cannot find it

Hey Steve,

Do you mean the indicator lights that sit at the side on the front side fender behind the front wheel well? If so, you can get generic ones that will fit... Here in Japan they have generic ones, and when I looked at the back of the box, it told me what model cars they will fit on.. Windom was one of them... Only a few dollars when I last looked, not expencive at all.....How much are the ones you are looking at? I am going to put the clear ones on mine in the next few weeks.... You are talking about the little squary, rectangle ones on the side yeah?

Hello All,

I have a 1993 ES300, with around 100k miles, and I would like to know how to get a whiter/clearer light from my headlamps. I bought some "hyperwhite" halogens and replaced the factory lights, but the light is still yellowish.

Also, are 1993 ES300 lens/orbs in the light supposed to be translucent/opalescent? Shouldn't everything be crystal clear? The orbs look milky.

I saw the FAQ, but I am worried I might burn the lenses. :blushing:

Yeah not sure as to what they looked like brand new, but mine are milky aswell.. As for the actually light assembly cover, the whole thing should be crystal clear! Only way to clean them is to open them.. I am lucky that mine have held up fine, and are perfect... The only problem is when I bought the car second hand, the previous owner scratched the light, and wanted to replace it before he gave me the car.. He replaced it alright, but my right light is a perfect clear lense cover. But the left has the 3 lines across the light cover like they did with some of the models... Cant notice unless you stand up close thank god.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Neil, looks good!...

How long have you had the tape on, did you just do it?.. At first I wasnt sure if it looked alright on mine, but now that it has been on for a while, I dont even notice it, and it just looks like part of the car...

As you know, mine is a silver car, so I guess it is the best color for the chrome tape to blend to.. Looks good on the black in the pictures that you posted. How does it look up close?

You got a hot ride there. You should post some more pics of it. Would love to see!

yeah the tape is water proof ... ..

ive had it for a couple of months... ive had alot of compliments on it.. most say it looks like stock ...

no problems with it yet... it just takes some skill in placement.... its not as easy as it looks... !!!

there is no specific hieght or width... its was a roll of 3m chrome weather proof tape which i took some scisors ( or however you spell that) and cut away !

i got it from meijers !