Winter Time Gas Mileage

It's been getting nippy at 55-60F here in the early morning hours, but I'm looking forward to December days when we will be cranking up the seat heaters! Gas milage has been fairly steady at 25 MPG-gentle driving during the week (her)and my rocket-power punches every now and then during the weekends.

There is one other possible explanation - many states require oxygenation of the gas in winter (sometimes using the infamous MTBE). The additives used reduce the energy content of the gas and typically result in lower MPG. Most people don't notice this, but us Hybrid owners tend to be more aware of our precise gas mileage...

It's been getting nippy at 55-60F here in the early morning hours, but I'm looking forward to December days when we will be cranking up the seat heaters! Gas milage has been fairly steady at 25 MPG-gentle driving during the week (her)and my rocket-power punches every now and then during the weekends.

I live in Western NY and the temp has been in the 20s f . I'm down to 23-24 mpg as opposed to 26-27mpg.

I wish there were a Lexus phone to answer questions like these. The service now as opposed to my earlier LS 400 circa '98 has deteriorated

post-2629-1133580961_thumb.jpg

:wacko:

The mileage will definately go down in the winter, the Prius people have discovered that also.

As for turning the ICE off, in Japan they have an "EV Button" that allows you to operate in battery mode only, some Prius owners have installed them on their American Priuses. Don't know if it could be made to work with the 400h or not.

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed that my the heated seats reduce gas mileage by about 1 mpg, just a guess though. haven't tried it on then off etc... yet.

I have noticed that my the heated seats reduce gas mileage by about 1 mpg, just a guess though. haven't tried it on then off etc... yet.

I have noticed that when I first turn the car on in cold weather, the engine runs at just about any level of acceleration. This is what I expected because the manual mentions getting the engine up to temperature to provide heat for climate control as one of the reasons the engine will run.

As a result, the battery charge level gets into green level much more often than it did during hot or moderate weather. I get in the cold car, turn on the seat heater to get nice and toasty for the first part of driving. When the climate control has gotten the inside of the car warmed up, I turn off the seat heater. This doesn't have a noticable effect on gas mileage. I think this is because the seat heater is on only for a short while and it is on during a time when the engine is running extra anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, have noticed that the ICE stays on almost all of the time while using the heater. And, because of this, my gas mileage has really gone down. That coupled with the additives they put in the gas during the winter months up here in NY has done a number on my stats. I can't wait until spring!

Again, if you turn the A/C off the heater efficiency will improve dramatically. But remember that the catalyst must still be kept at ~800F and in winter that's not going to be an easy task.