Plastic License Plate Screws?

MadMax96

As some of you may know, I just picked up a '99 LS last week. The seller was real cool and let me take the car before the check cleared but held onto the title. He also left his license plates on so I could drive around without being hassled.

Tomorrow I'm giving him his plates and getting the title. I went to remove the license plate from the back and noticed it had plastic screws. Hmm - not a bad idea - won't ever rust. BUT those SOBs are so tight that when I went to unscrew them, the head just tore off leaving a little plastic nub! FRICK! :censored:

I tore off both heads so I could give him the plates back, but now I can't get these suckers out! Should I drill them out? I tried using some larger pliers to grip the plastic nubs but they don't turn - just get crushed as I clamp down. I don't want to tear them off further.

Suggestions?

Also - what did Lexus provide as the regular screws? Metal or plastic? The front plate was held by metal 10mm bolts!

Thanks in advance....

My favorite solution is "allen" head bolts - you can buy stainless steal or chrome ones at a hardware store. This is all I've used since I caught someone switching plates -- he was apparently trying to buy time by putting somebody else's plates on a stolen car.

Stopped by the dealer to pick up some wiper blades (don't even ask) and also asked about replacement screws. The parts guy said they use plastic screws also so they don't rust.

Yeah - good call unless you need to remove the effing plate!!!

I'm not sure of the thread pitch so I don't know how anything else would work.. I'd prefer the hex-head screw but I don't want to jam in a wrong pitch-sized screw.

On a side note, I've never been to a Lexus dealer before. I was impressed with how courteous everyone was.

Then I proceeded to drool on a new 05 or 06 LS430 in Blue Onyx Pearl they had...drool.gif

Me likey...

Yes, I saw the MSRP alright...that's why I own a 3rd hand LS! :D

Finally got the screws out after drilling them out with about 5 different bit sizes making my way from small to big. Those things were STUBBORN!

Picked up some stainless security hex head screws. They are like a regular hex head but has an anti-tamper nub in the head so you need to use the supplied hollow allen key. Hope I don't regret that one.. ;)